Romanian prince put under house arrest in real estate fraud

rooster59

Romanian prince put under house arrest in real estate fraud

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — A Romanian court has ruled that Romania's Prince Paul be placed under home arrest pending a probe into a massive real estate fraud.

Paul was charged Saturday with money laundering and influence-buying in a case involving the restitution of real estate that prosecutors say cost the state 136 million euros ($150 million). The 67-year-old prince again denied any wrongdoing Saturday.

Prosecutors say starting in 2006, a politically-connected businessman and four others used their influence to get the state to restitute land to Paul, which he in turn gave them a share of the value of that land.

The land had been confiscated from the royal family by Romania's communist regime. Paul is estranged from his uncle, King Michael, who was forced to abdicate by the communists in 1947

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-13

I didn't know that there were princes over there in Romania.

I know there are many Gipsy barons over there.

http://viola.bz/romanian-gypsies-living-luxury-lifestyle/

My heart goes out to this guy being a prince isn't what it used to be. I just hope chivalry is not dead and his uncle rides to the rescue. Boy he was lucky to get house arrest. He should at least have a monitoring bracelet on his leg. I guess the good old days of r**e and pillaging are long gone. Well back to watching "Against All Flags" with Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara. What a sweetheart God rest her soul and thanks for the memories.

What about Nigerian and Saudi princes?

Certain Saudi princes are trying to import that illegal drug used by ISIS to stay in a fanatical 'high' (true story) Alternatively, whilst away from home (in the US) do the retro thing ( rape and pillage) certain ladies whilst under diplomatic immunity.

If you ever get an email from a Nigerian prince, report back here, first, will you?

Ah well, it's back to " Once Upon A Time" for me,

Could easily become a full-time job if I would report every unsolicited offer with a small advance fee. And most of these scams come in the name of European institutions, HSBC et al among them. Looks like it is a new business model. Some doubtful offers might just be a result of outsourcing, hard to tell how much is for real.

On the face of it, it doesn't sound like he did anything bad. Was showing his appreciation for return of his confiscated lands so terrible?

The government (presumably) under Ceausescu confiscated the land. He got it back. That could not have happened without anyone noticing it or approving it. I am sure there is at least a sentence or two, if not a paragraph, missing from this story.

No one should ever be above the law regardless of their station in society, the prince is obviously a bit of a shader so better he face the courts then lock him up and throw away the key its not the medieval times now and this sort of people have no place in modern society.