is Chiang Mai hotter than normal this December?

Asiantravel

I am currently in pattaya where the temperature started to go down a bit at the beginning of last week but seems to have gone back to the hot humid weather we had for several weeks before and today we've even had stormy looking black clouds though it didn't rain.

As I will be coming to Chiang Mai straight after Christmas I just checked the weather forecast and see the temperatures in the north are ranging between 31 in the day and 18 at night. Is that also normal for this time of year?

Edited by Asiantravel

The cool season arrived here late, only about a week ago. It is still unseasonably warm in the middle of the day.

Elderly folks I speak to say the rainy season in 2015 was drier + hotter than they can remember - often using aircon at night which they never had to do in previous years,

It's clear that things are changing, and it's anybody's guess what will happen to the climate in future,

Let's any hope for the best,and that you also greatly enjoy your stay!

Sh....t You got me!!!

I feel like it's hot and a little stuffy.....

I look around and my wife has a sweater/long pants on and one daughter is wearing a cotton jacket/long pants all day long + they have the glass part of the sliding door shut.....It's 31' and I ask them if it's hot to them - get a funny look and a shake of the head no....The other daughter is dressed in shorts and shirt like me.....

I come upstairs and turn on a fan while they're happy as clams....

Morning minimums are 16 degrees. That's pretty normal for the time of year. The maximums are still high, but it takes a lot longer to get there, then it's at peak temperature for an hour, then it rapidly cools down again. So the afternoon high does not tell you everything. It's a LOT cooler than Bangkok/Pattaya.

At 3:11:34, it was hotter at this EXACT time then at any other 3:11:34 in the last 43 years!!!

But then, 22-minutes later, temperatures were back within the norm..

I also know that i handle heat worse as i get older...

i used to like such heat in my 20's....but now in my 90s i cannot handle such temperatures....

"perceived heat".......possible for the OP....or not....

"The cool season arrived here late, only about a week ago. It is still unseasonably warm in the middle of the day.

Elderly folks I speak to say the rainy season in 2015 was drier + hotter than they can remember - often using aircon at night which they never had to do in previous years,"

Agree, been end of September start of October when cold weather started in years gone bye.

And as for Rain, 2011 and 2005(?) now we had rain then.

john

No change no different from previous years. Temperature at my location is 28 during the day (peak) and 15 overnight, inside the house stays over 20 degrees thanks to insulation..

"Temperature

Throughout the month of December daytime temperatures will generally reach highs of around 29°C that's about 84°F. At night the average minimum temperature drops down to around 15°C, that's 60°F". http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Thailand/Chiang-Mai/climate-profile.aspx

Edited by chiang mai

El Nino innit.

Quite right Chic - I saw a weather programme on some international channel, saying that El Nino will result in the warmest winter on record in HK this year. I think quite a bit of Thai weather comes from vaguely that direction in winter - either there or a little bit further north in China, so probably Thailand is in for a mild winter

El Nino innit.

Quite right Chic - I saw a weather programme on some international channel, saying that El Nino will result in the warmest winter on record in HK this year. I think quite a bit of Thai weather comes from vaguely that direction in winter - either there or a little bit further north in China, so probably Thailand is in for a mild winter

Chiang Mai's weather comes from the North at this time of year:

final_rh2mtemp_50_2015121400_12.jpg

Cold, same as it was at this time of year for the last 7 years.

Absolutely right .I had to put on a t shirt this morning.Still nice swimming every day though.

Wrong like every year around this time I do a motorbike trip north and Laos - this year I am even later and still never had to wear my winter gear - it's absolutely unusual folks. But than again no drama at all - enjoy

Hot and humid here in here in Pattaya. I certainly don't feel any daytime relief.

33.6 in my south facing apartment with the balcony door wide open and fan

blowing. Much better than home in Canada.whistling.gif

Strange - we're in the middle of the city and the air con has been off since the last week of November - hopefully won't be on again until February at the earliest

I've been here 5 months now in Chiang Mai city, and haven't had the air con on once!

Yes, it's hot just now if you're standing in the sun, but indoors 24C, night down to 20C

Fairly normal. Saturday morning was nippy, not yet had a more extended period of chilly mornings, a couple of years ago it was very cold for a few weeks, 11-13 each morning. Probably have a few weeks colder than this shortly.