Public Health Ministry calls for flu countermeasures

webfact

Public Health Ministry calls for flu countermeasures

he.png

BANGKOK, 14 December 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has urged all related agencies to prepare countermeasures for influenza before the disease’s perennial peak at the beginning of next year.

Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn revealed that between January and March of each year, an estimated 40,000 - 120,000 people suffer from influenza, of which approximately 200 die from the disease. He said his ministry has therefore asked for cooperation from related agencies such as the Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of Education and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in coordinating with all public health agencies in spotting new cases and implementing preventative measures.
Dr Piyasakol advised the public to regularly wash their hands, avoid contact with the infected, as well as avoid congested areas.
In addition, those exhibiting flu symptoms such as high fever and coughing, should see medical attention immediately. The Public Health Minister emphasized risk groups, such as pregnant women, children, the elderly and those with chronic illnesses. Those who are sick should also take leave from work or school and wear face masks when leaving home.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-14 footer_n.gif

*Following a request from NNT this article has been updated: The Key term "dengue fever" was changed to "influenza".

This is good news.
More needs to be done to tackle dengue fever.
I read recently that Mexico has introduced a vaccine for Dengue. Not sure how effective it is, but it is said to cover 4 strains of Dengue.

One thing that made me wonder about this article
"Those who are sick should also take leave from work or school and wear face masks when leaving home."

Why wear face masks? how can that help?

Avoid contact with the infected? wear mask?

What the heck? Dengue fever isn't transmissible person to person, only by mosquito bites.

Source: https://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/denguefever/understanding/Pages/Transmission.aspx

He might as well have tried to know a little bit what he's talking about.

What a disgrace...

Edited by Lannig

"The Ministry of Public Health has urged all related agencies to prepare dengue fever countermeasures... wear face masks when leaving home."

"Why wear face masks? how can that help?"

The masks won't help prevent dengue fever. However, they might give minimal protection when they spray to kill the mosquitoes. They do it in the middle of the day when restaurants and food stands are crowded with customers, and people are on the streets. A little common sense (Just kidding. I know where I am) would dictate that they spray at night when the streets are empty and most of the mosquitoes are concentrated around wet areas. It would also make sense to give residents notice when they will be spraying the poison in their communities, so they aren't trapped in their houses.

This might be one case where the cure, or preventative measures might be as bad as the disease.

Edited by jaltsc

"The Ministry of Public Health has urged all related agencies to prepare dengue fever countermeasures... wear face masks when leaving home."

The masks won't help prevent dengue fever, However, when they spay to kill the mosquitoes, they do it in the middle of the day when restaurants are open and people are on the streets. A little common senst

"Those who are sick should also take leave from work or school and wear face masks when leaving home."

"Those who are sick should also .. and wear face masks when leaving home."

Nothing about restaurants or spraying..

A little comprehension?

Face masks and hand-washing are of no help against the stealthy Dengue mosquito. Better to upturn any pots holding still water. If the pots are holding plants, then the Khets have small pills that you can drop into the water and which are effective for about six months. If I was managing a campaign against Dengue, I'd go door to door handing out those small pills.

Fogging will catch some, but the pills are more effective. These particular mosquitoes only lay eggs in still water.

The anti-dengue vaccine, against all four types, is now on trial in Mexico and not yet generally available.

I really wonder where they found the individual to fill this position ( Public health Minister )? From his comments he would

not appear to be a medically trained individual, much less a bonified medical doctor.

The medics trained for and in the military would be my choice vs this man for any medical help / advice, needed. I wonder

if he also sells good luck charms to his surviving patients?

what a clown! IT NOT THE FLU.

"Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn revealed that between January and March of each year, an estimated 40,000 - 120,000 people suffer from dengue fever, of which approximately 200 die from the disease. He said his ministry has therefore asked for cooperation from related agencies such as the Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of Education and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in coordinating with all public health agencies in spotting new cases and implementing preventative measures.

Dr Piyasakol advised the public to regularly wash their hands, avoid contact with the infected, as well as avoid congested areas.

In addition, those exhibiting dengue symptoms such as high fever and coughing, should see medical attention immediately. The Public Health Minister emphasized risk groups, such as pregnant women, children, the elderly and those with chronic illnesses. Those who are sick should also take leave from work or school and wear face masks when leaving home.

THAILAND IS FRICKIN' DOOMED.

Edited by NCC1701A

What the heck? Dengue fever isn't transmissible person to person, only by mosquito bites.

Source: https://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/denguefever/understanding/Pages/Transmission.aspx

What a disgrace...

While washing hands and wearing masks won't prevent Dengue fever, it would still be useful in the long run since it will cut down on spread of the Alzheimer's, the AIDS and most types of the Cancer.

This is good news.

More needs to be done to tackle dengue fever.

I read recently that Mexico has introduced a vaccine for Dengue. Not sure how effective it is, but it is said to cover 4 strains of Dengue.

One thing that made me wonder about this article

Why wear face masks? how can that help?

So the mosquito can't bite your lips....

Face masks and hand-washing are of no help against the stealthy Dengue mosquito. Better to upturn any pots holding still water. If the pots are holding plants, then the Khets have small pills that you can drop into the water and which are effective for about six months. If I was managing a campaign against Dengue, I'd go door to door handing out those small pills.

Fogging will catch some, but the pills are more effective. These particular mosquitoes only lay eggs in still water.

The anti-dengue vaccine, against all four types, is now on trial in Mexico and not yet generally available.

Khets?

Can you provide more info on the pills?

What a disgrace...

Beat me to it - what on earth are they on about.

Is it any wonder that they attract ridicule when they get something so fundamentally wrong as this!! Chuck them out and get somebody in who knows what they are talking about - perhaps he owns tons of shares in the leading company that supplies these masks.

The masks won't help prevent dengue fever. However, they might give minimal protection when they spray to kill the mosquitoes. They do it in the middle of the day when restaurants and food stands are crowded with customers, and people are on the streets. A little common sense (Just kidding. I know where I am) would dictate that they spray at night when the streets are empty and most of the mosquitoes are concentrated around wet areas. It would also make sense to give residents notice when they will be spraying the poison in their communities, so they aren't trapped in their houses.

This might be one case where the cure, or preventative measures might be as bad as the disease.

It gives an indication of the ignorance surrounding dengue fever. The TV must be available at little or no cost, and a mass campaign of educating everyone on the dangers of standing water could have a large effect.

I've never see a poster of any kind, warning people about dengue.

Time a few people got out from behind their desks.

The Thai Visa/Whatever news department got the headline and article wrong.

Real Headline, Public Health Ministry calls for flu countermeasures.

Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn revealed that between January and March of each year, an estimated 40,000 - 120,000 people suffer from influenza, of which approximately 200 die from the disease. He said his ministry has therefore asked for cooperation from related agencies such as the Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of Education and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in coordinating with all public health agencies in spotting new cases and implementing preventative measures.

The article was about Flu not Dengue. A little better news editing would solve the problem.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNPBH5812140010007/12/20

I would imagine no one will read my post or correct the headline in the OP. It is easier just to mock the poor doctor for a news editors error. Funny that eh?

Edited by Scotwight

Be nice if you stopped talking about it and get off your asses and do something. My son and I were in the hospital for a week with that. The hospital was full completely. Your lucky I'm not in a position of power. I would fire every single one of you in that department.

I had it, didn't go to the hospital and felt very bad and afterwards it needs a month till I got full strength again. Dengue is no fun.....

It gives an indication of the ignorance surrounding dengue fever. The TV must be available at little or no cost, and a mass campaign of educating everyone on the dangers of standing water could have a large effect.

I've never see a poster of any kind, warning people about dengue.

Time a few people got out from behind their desks.

The doctor is actually quite bright it's the News department that got the headline wrong. It should have said Flu. Here is the real article http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNPBH5812140010007/12/20

Edited by Scotwight

This Gentleman through his uneducated and ill researched comments has made himself the laughing stock of Thailand. He should be removed from his post forthwith, after he has washed his hands, not made contact with anyone and wearing a face mask -duh!rolleyes.gif

...laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by metisdead
2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

what a clown! IT NOT THE FLU.

Those who are sick should also take leave from work or school and wear face masks when leaving home.

THAILAND IS FRICKIN' DOOMED.

He just mixed his notes...

He used the speech for Ebola whistling.gif

Any inactive post left? We might have found a new candidate...

Edit: avoid contact with the infected

Zombies? cheesy.gif

Edited by CantSpell

The Thai Visa/Whatever news department got the headline and article wrong.

Real Headline, Public Health Ministry calls for flu countermeasures.

The article was about Flu not Dengue. A little better news editing would solve the problem.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNPBH5812140010007/12/20

I would imagine no one will read my post or correct the headline in the OP. It is easier just to mock the poor doctor for a news editors error. Funny that eh?

ok good news... thailand is not doomed after all.

but the editor/ writer needs to be dragged behind a pick up truck...

maybe the Health Minister can file a lawsuit for making him sound sort of stupid. :)