Boat trip down Mekong to Luang Prabang

plachon

Google: shompoo cruise

I'm taking this one next month.

Seems to be a middle road between the backpacker's cargo boats and the highline Luangsay Cruise.

Mac

That looks really a nice cruise and the SOH agrees. We may well give it a whirl next time, as I've wanted to do a cruise like that for a long time, and the prices look very reasonable.

The website is a little confusing insofar as they quote prices for the three levels of accomodation in Prabang, and then lower down the page say that accomodation isn't included in the price. ??? They also say the accommodation includes 'dinner for two', but the ticket prices are presumably per person. Again, ???

Are you any wiser than me what is and isn't included in the price?

Thanks for the replies so far. It seems like the Shompoo cruise may be one option, but am still interested to hear back from anyone that's taken the slow boat favoured by backpackers to hear their experience of the trip and practicalities. Does one leave daily, for instance, or just certain days of the week? Are the prices fixed or depend on the individual boat? How far in advance do you need to get a ticket and what is the going price? And can you pay for half way to Pak Beng only, or have to get a thru' ticket to Luang Prabang? And just general feedback, for anyone that's taken it in the last year or so.....thumbsup.gif

Archived