Multiple entry Non-imm Business soon to expire

Please help me figure out my next step. I have a multiple entry non-immigrant business visa that will expire in the first week of January. I read in previous post that I can get an extension for 3 more months pass the visa’s expiration date if I cross the border before the end date. The border is use is Haui Kon . I was interested in how that would work would they issue me a new Thai visa with an extended date? Also, after the 3 months of extension are finished can I apply for the new 6 month tourist visa?

If you do an entry on or before the enter before date on the visa you will get another 90 day entry (not an extension).

You can do the entry at any crossing that is an international crossing. Not sure about Haui Kon.

Not sure what you mean by the 6 month tourist visa. The only tourist visa valid for 6 months now is the multiple entry tourist visa (METV) and you will not get one anywhere within the region (probably only in your home country). Two and 3 entry visas are no longer available.

You do not get an extension of anything when you leave and re-enter the country. You just get a new 90 day entry.

Your visa will be expired after the enter before date but that does not mean you cannot stay in the country beyond that date. That is only the last day you can use your visa for a new entry.

You will not get a tourist visa at any border crossing. You have to apply for it at an embassy or consulate.

You could get a visa exempt entry by crossing the border and returning at most crossings. You would get a 15 day visa exempt entry or 30 days if you are from a G7 country. You could then get a 30 day extension of the visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

oh wow..I'm so confused..many of the people I know told me to go to border and get the tourist visa..So..I'll go to my nears consulate which is in Nan. Last time I went there it was difficult, to see what my next step needs to be. Thank you kindly for your time and assistance!!

Those people were incorrectly calling a visa exempt entry a tourist visa. That is why the correct terminology is so important.

There is no consulate in Nan. I think you are confusing a consulate with an immigration office. Thai embassies and consulates are located in other countries. The nearest one to Nan is in Vientiane Laos.

Oh Thank you..you really cleared things up for me..I will need to take a trip to Vientiane Lao. Then see what options are open for me in my situation.

Yes but you're planning way too far ahead for now considering you can get another 90 days in January just before your visa expires.

I suggest you leave the country during the first week of January and return before your current visa expires. You will get a 90 day stamp when you arrive based on your current visa still being valid. The visa expiry date means nothing once you're stamped in, it only matters on the day you cross the border when entering the country.

This means you don't need to think about changing your visa until April unless you're already planning on leaving the country again before April.

I suspect there's a reasonable chance that the regulations might change by April 2016. Only time will tell on this though.