TOT fiber optic in Sathorn

monekyface

I have TOT coming to my condo tomorrow. We used to live in wongwian yai area and had good internet with TOT. Since moving to the CBD, our True internet is just awful. Anyone in Sathorn area, say around BTS chong nonsi have this service? I am trying to get their 1800 baht per month 35Mbit service. She claims it is very stable, and even though the speed is listed for Thai sites only, it is still a very good and stable connection. What about your experience with TOT in this area? Do you have fiber or DSL?

You will find that most areas/buildings do not have access to numerous Internet Service Providers (ISP). Like when I moved in my western Bangkok village/moobaan 7 years ago a person had a choice of TOT, TOT, or TOT ADSL service. That's right TOT had exclusive rights to our village. In mid 2011 True installed DOCSIS/cable TV & internet to my village which I switched to. So as of mid 2011 we now have two ISP providers to the village providing physical lines: TOT ADSL and True DOCSIS/cable.. And to this date it remains the same....no other ISP...no fiber optics, etc. But the True cable can provide up to 200Mb if I wanted to pay for such a plan...I'm happy with their 15Mb plan at Bt599/mo.

Yeap, you probably will not have a lot of ISP choices for physical internet lines being installed to your residence...but you can always consider Wide Area Wifi, 3G, etc., if your area is covered by such signals...but those plans can get pricey and/or not be that fast regardless of the ISPs' advertising.

TOT was at my building for about an hour talking to my building manager and looking at different connections in the building. But they said two weeks to get it installed. Is this normal? I thought when TOT did it at our old condo it was only a day or two. Seems odd.

TOT was at my building for about an hour talking to my building manager and looking at different connections in the building. But they said two weeks to get it installed. Is this normal? I thought when TOT did it at our old condo it was only a day or two. Seems odd.

Nothing odd. TOT is a state company. Customer satisfaction is not their priority. Either they have a lot of demand or they don't want to spend hiring technicians. Took them 3 weeks to install mine as well.

kQzBRi2.jpg?1

I ended up with the AIS Fibre deal for 1199 baht per month. I used their online tool to set my own appointment and they showed up on time, put in the connection and a shiny new router and a TV box that will take a wireless usb keyboard.

Very impressed so far and it took only one day between online request and installation. Polanskiman you hit the nail on the head re:TOT I would say!!!!

The laws of physics, mainly the speed of light, won't let you get much faster ping than mid-200's to San Francisco.

That's fascinating. So if I know the distance between my location and the other server, is there a formula that helps me compute the best-case scenario ping time?

According to this ExtremeTech article,

Researchers create fiber network that operates at 99.7% speed of light, smashes speed and latency records

ZiffDavis / ExtremeTech | By Sebastian Anthony | March 25, 2013

The speed of light in a vacuum is 299,792,458 meters per second, or 186,282 miles per second.

In any other medium, though, it’s generally a lot slower. In normal optical fibers (silica glass), light travels a full 31% slower.

While you can calculate theoretical speed, real world usage involves lots or routers that employ store and forward techniques to deal with potential packet congestion.

Also, the world is not flat nor perfectly round, nor always reachable directly from point A to point B. Why some of my packets need to flow through DALLAS, TEXAS is a mystery to me.

Probably better to use an online table with live statistics, like:

WonderNet Global Ping Statistics

Show ping to cities, including distance and percentage of speed of light in a fiber optic cable (200,000km/s)

(use update ping button to enter/delete comparison cities, or click directly on a city name, like Bangkok, to view ping times related between that location and other cities.)

Interesting, the live statistics for Bangkok to Malaysia show extreme Ping times, given it's actual distance. I bet those packets are taking a very circuitous route.

Malaysia

Distance: 1120km

Average Ping: 219.79ms

%SOL f/o: 5.11% (Expressed as percentage of Speed of Light in Fiber Optic)

Min Ping: 219.19ms

Max Ping: 220.72ms

M Dev 0.70ms

Date: 2015-12-21 08:09:54

Edited by RichCor