Laos Consulate Khon Kaen / Nong Khai border run

Hello,

Later this week I will make my first Nong Khai border run, and would like to get a Laos visa at the consulate in Khon Kaen.
I am familiar with the location of the bridge in NK, and will be driving there with my Thai GF, who will cross with me. She has a passport, speaks Thai, English and Lao. We plan to park the car at the bridge (North side?), then exit and return mid Monday morning (0900).

I am assuming I will need the following documents:

1. Passport w/ six months validity & a valid Thai visa to return (3rd entry on a TR Visa - enter by Feb. 3, 2016 )

2. Passport Photo(s)

3. Visa Fee ($1600.00 Bhat)

4. Application form (at consulate)

Do I need one or two passport photos?

I also plan to complete my Laos departure & entry card prior to arriving Nong Khai.

I understand the consulate is now on Hwy. 12, north of the center of Khon Kaen. Can someone please provide a good physical location for me, as other descriptions were not clear to me as I am not very familiar with Khon Kaen.

As this the first NK border run, I would appreciate any other words of advice you may have.

Thanks, Troy

That map is for the old Lao Consulate in Khon Kaen. The new one is located just north of the KK IMM on the east side of Highway 2 -- not 12.

"The Consulate of Laos has moved to a brand new building along Mittraphap road, opposite of Tesco/Lotus-Extra." The address is given vaguely as Sila District Muang Khon Kaen.

If you are coming from the south it will be about a km past the big Srinikharin Hospital on the west side on the KKU campus and then (somewhere) make a U-turn. If from the north, you will see the big Tesco-L on the west side

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

No need to get a visa prior to going to Nong Khai, you can get a Laos visa once you cross the bridge.. Laos immigration will accept pristine US dollar currency, it is $35 US for a UK citizen, some nationalities are a little more or a little less, if you pay in baht is is 1500 so it is worth paying in dollars.

• Like 1

It depends where you are coming from and whether you will be driving past the Lao Embassy Khon Kaen (during opening hours) anyway ... as for Lao Visa at the bridge, well of course, but it also depends upon how many have decided to apply for a visa at the same time you do.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Laos consulate is on highway 2.

Opposite Tesco Lotus, just past Immigration heading out of town.

Also near Khon Kaen mail center.

I was always lead to believe that you save a few Baht by applying for the Visa at the consulate.

Edited by Eclipse

I just removed my post. I checked 3 different sites and they had the same address. I had heard it had moved but could not remember where.

I have been tempted to contact them to see if they would accept a mailed in application. If I recall correctly the embassy in Bangkok accepts them from agents. Considering taking the international bus from here to Pakse to get a new entry so I can do online 90 day reports.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...