Is a Suthep-Sukhumbhand political tango on the cards?

webfact

"Thaksin bought the elections...giving 500 Baht for the right checkmark."

Do you have any evidence to back up your statement? At the 2011 election, PTP received 15,744,190 votes, giving them 48.41% of the total vote and a clear mandate to govern. Are you saying that Thaksin spent almost 8 billion baht on buying votes?

Considering that the Dem Party donations outstrip the PT donations many times and the Dem has the support of most of the very wealthy Sino Thai capitalists, they could easily out pay the measly 500 Baht and win the election by a landslide. No, that didn't happen and we know why.

Welcome to Thailand......donations cheesy.gif as if the donations would be important.....

And the Sino Thai capitalists CP, Beer and car manufacturer, etc sponsor every party. Thaksin, Democrats, PAD, Red Shirts, Military, etc etc...so no matter who wins they win. They are not on any side, they are on every side.

Surely you have been here long enough to know that the Sino Thai tycoons preferred party is the Dem and for a good reason. You can't be that naive, right? It's about wealth continuation and accumulation and their alliance to the most powerful institution. That's all I can say.

yes, sure because Thaksin squeezed them out like lemons...recall how he pressured Beer Chang. But with CP he worked together well, helping to get the small farmer competition out of business. But yes over all he might have been too greedy. The might lean to the Democrats. But I doubt it has a big influence.

These companies switch alliances to anyone who offers more, but keep sponsoring everyone.

Screw you detractors, he is still my hero! I admire this guy for his leadership ability.

Read all the negative things above....there is no real argument or fact against him. Just blind hate.

I agree he is a hero.....

Screw you detractors, he is still my hero! I admire this guy for his leadership ability.

Glad to see you admire a corrupted guy...

and not a small corruption case but many and involving a lot of money

Do you know how was spent the money he get from the "rallies"?

Do you know who was the big winner of the Palm oil shortage>?

and much more

But, hey, we admire what we want to be I guess

Read all the negative things above....there is no real argument or fact against him. Just blind hate.

If it is not irony it is just lack of knowledge about his actions past and present...

Do you really want a list or can you google his name with the keyword corruption alone?

Even his own party think he is far too corrupted

Well, that's Larry and Curly accounted for. I suspect Moe (the mad monk) will be along shortly to provide his "spiritual guidance" to the new party.

Without agreeing or disagreeing with the political snipe of this comment, I must give top marks for it being a very clever observation.

If it is not irony it is just lack of knowledge about his actions past and present...

Do you really want a list or can you google his name with the keyword corruption alone?

Just goggle his name without linking the word "corruption". Then try to find something positive written about him. Trust me, it is hard.

and much more

Those comments mark you as a Thaksin supporter.............. well done on winning the corruption (and aspiration) stakes hands down.

I guess YOU just admire what you want to be.

and much more

Those comments mark you as a Thaksin supporter.............. well done on winning the corruption (and aspiration) stakes hands down.

I guess YOU just admire what you want to be.

Your last comment just prove my point : so as i don t like suthep i am a thaksin fan? You re a joke dude, and should really open your eyes about this "hero", i don t see a reall answer about the corruption cases he has on his back...

You know the answer you gave is sooooo 2014...

Ah so if you don't like Suthep because he is massive hypocrite in fighting corruption when he himself is loathed by his ex party members for his level of corruption, you must like Thaksin?

You see well balanced people don't like the fact that one is (rightly) deemed evil but the other gets a free pass because he represents the 'good' and 'traditional' power players.

Some of you need to wake up.

Edited by mrrizzla

Ah so if you don't like Suthep because he is massive hypocrite in fighting corruption when he himself is loathed by his ex party members for his level of corruption, you must like Thaksin?

You see well balanced people don't like the fact that one is (rightly) deemed evil but the other gets a free pass because he represents the 'good' and 'traditional' power players.

Some of you need to wake up.

That's the only argument they got

Edited by GeorgesAbitbol

Despite what people may think of these guys, they are powerful and influential figures. And, as was evidenced during the Bangkok protests, Suthep was prepared to stand up and say "Here I am, do your worst"!

Surely, many Thais would prefer either of these two over the current blight afflicting the country.

"Surely, many Thais would prefer either of these two over the current blight afflicting the country"

"Many Thais" have consistently given Thaksin et al a mandate to run the country over the last 15 years. Conversely, Suthep et al have only achieved power by 'other means'. Let the Thai people choose who they want, they deserve better than 'Hobson's Choice'.

Thaksin bought the elections...giving 500 Baht for the right checkmark. But yes he is highly regarded in North and Northeast.

But Suthep is highly regarded in the South, they regard him like a war hero. Like him or hate him, at the demonstrations he took a lot risks for Thailand.

"Thaksin bought the elections...giving 500 Baht for the right checkmark."

Do you have any evidence to back up your statement? At the 2011 election, PTP received 15,744,190 votes, giving them 48.41% of the total vote and a clear mandate to govern. Are you saying that Thaksin spent almost 8 billion baht on buying votes?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h-KEwNQMQrw

Believe me PTP tried hard to find some corruption on Suthep, but so far they failed to find any evidence. So if you know a secret please tell the courts.

Believe me PTP tried hard to find some corruption on Suthep, but so far they failed to find any evidence. So if you know a secret please tell the courts.

You seem quite lazy.

And we all know the Court here in Thailand is very professional, we can see this also clearly with the CEo of Central group, heir of Redbull, so as you seem to not be able to go on wikipedia here is the whole paragraph about it.

As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Suthep addressed a huge crowd in his Surat Thani constituency a month before a no-confidence debate and called on his supporters to march on Bangkok in the hundreds of thousands to defend his reputation.[8] The scandal led Prime Minister Chuan Leekpaiof the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate.[9] In subsequentelections, Thai Nation Party won a majority, leading to the downfall of Chuan Leekpai's Democrat Party-led government.

Wikileaks diplomatic cables from the US embassy revealed that many members of his own party have long complained of his corrupt and unethical behavior.[10][11][12]

In 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by theConstitutional Court to disqualify Suthep. Suthep held a press conference a day later, announcing his decision to resign from Parliament. Suthep's resignation as an MP did not affect his status as a Deputy Prime Minister and as a Cabinet member. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister. He insisted his resignation was not a proof that he had done anything wrong but that he was worried about status as Deputy Prime Minister.[13]

After several Criminal court rulings that deaths and injuries sustained by red-shirt protesters during the political unrest in April and May 2010 were the direct result of orders to soldiers given by Suthep Thaugsuban, the director of the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), the Department of Special Investigation, public prosecutors and police agreed to file murder charges against him.[14][15]

Suthep along with Abhisit was also found responsible by the Court for the assassination of Italian journalist Fabio Polenghi, who was covering the 2010 protests.[16][17]

You probably forgot about the shortage of palm oil which resulted in a huge incrase of the price...guess who has lot of shares in many palm oil?

The evidences and testimonies are also quite easy to "erase" in this country, or are you really that innocent and find this country above any doubt regarding the judgments and trials ?

Is this enough for you?

You really try hard, try harder

Edited by GeorgesAbitbol

You seem quite lazy.

And we all know the Court here in Thailand is very professional, we can see this also clearly with the CEo of Central group, heir of Redbull, so as you seem to not be able to go on wikipedia here is the whole paragraph about it.

As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Suthep addressed a huge crowd in his Surat Thani constituency a month before a no-confidence debate and called on his supporters to march on Bangkok in the hundreds of thousands to defend his reputation.[8] The scandal led Prime Minister Chuan Leekpaiof the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate.[9] In subsequentelections, Thai Nation Party won a majority, leading to the downfall of Chuan Leekpai's Democrat Party-led government.

Wikileaks diplomatic cables from the US embassy revealed that many members of his own party have long complained of his corrupt and unethical behavior.[10][11][12]

In 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by theConstitutional Court to disqualify Suthep. Suthep held a press conference a day later, announcing his decision to resign from Parliament. Suthep's resignation as an MP did not affect his status as a Deputy Prime Minister and as a Cabinet member. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister. He insisted his resignation was not a proof that he had done anything wrong but that he was worried about status as Deputy Prime Minister.[13]

After several Criminal court rulings that deaths and injuries sustained by red-shirt protesters during the political unrest in April and May 2010 were the direct result of orders to soldiers given by Suthep Thaugsuban, the director of the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), the Department of Special Investigation, public prosecutors and police agreed to file murder charges against him.[14][15]

Suthep along with Abhisit was also found responsible by the Court for the assassination of Italian journalist Fabio Polenghi, who was covering the 2010 protests.[16][17]

You probably forgot about the shortage of palm oil which resulted in a huge incrase of the price...guess who has lot of shares in many palm oil?

The evidences and testimonies are also quite easy to "erase" in this country, or are you really that innocent and find this country above any doubt regarding the judgments and trials ?

Is this enough for you?

So 20 years ago Suthep he gave land to farmers and well known these 11 wealthy families also used their land on which they sit since decades as farm land. A law that legalize the farmers land that he uses only for poor farmer, rich will be kicked out would not hold in any constitution. So there was nothing wrong 20!!! years ago.

He hold parts of a media firm and resigned.....That is hardly some big corruption.

And for the red-shirt protesters who shot some armies and tried to burn Bangkok.....yes he should have given that order earlier!

assassination of journalist.....I never heard about that.

So what was he sentenced for? Or is it just red blabla propaganda?

You seem quite lazy.

Is this enough for you?

So 20 years ago Suthep he gave land to farmers and well known these 11 wealthy families also used their land on which they sit since decades as farm land. A law that legalize the farmers land that he uses only for poor farmer, rich will be kicked out would not hold in any constitution. So there was nothing wrong 20!!! years ago.

He hold parts of a media firm and resigned.....That is hardly some big corruption.

And for the red-shirt protesters who shot some armies and tried to burn Bangkok.....yes he should have given that order earlier!

You really should go back under your bridge mate, you obviously only read what you want.

Financial stake in media :2009, not 20 years ago, palm oil, not 20 years ago

Palm Oil shortage: http://asiancorrespondent.com/2011/03/thailands-palm-oil-crisis-mr-s-strikes-again/ ( you won't read it as it is against your "hero")

Assassination of Journalist: you never heard of that but the links provided by wikipedia are hard to click, right?

And one more time, the "red card" is far outdated, I could also link you to a pro junta fanboy as you re a big fan of Suthep, but I don't...for now..but the justification of 200 civilian deads (official numbers, not the HRW numbers by the way) give me a hint on who you re supporting right now, you maybe should wear green, not yellow

So, as two wrongs don't make a right, as you have all the tools needed to look for the history of this crook, i will not go further in this discussion.

Edited by GeorgesAbitbol

You seem quite lazy.

Is this enough for you?

You really should go back under your bridge mate, you obviously only read what you want.

Palm Oil shortage: http://asiancorrespondent.com/2011/03/thailands-palm-oil-crisis-mr-s-strikes-again/ ( you won't read it as it is against your "hero")

Assassination of Journalist: you never heard of that but the links provided by wikipedia are hard to click, right?

And one more time, the "red card" is far outdated, I could also link you to a pro junta fanboy as you re a big fan of Suthep, but I don't...for now..but the justification of 200 civilian deads (official numbers, not the HRW numbers by the way) give me a hint on who you re supporting right now, you maybe should wear green, not yellow

So, as two wrongs don't make a right, as you have all the tools needed to look for the history of this crook, i will not go further in this discussion.

Twist it, bend it, lie.....

So we have off the table the land deal.

I read the Fabio thing now, no one claims an assassination....so that is a lie as well. He was were Military and Demonstrators shot each other and unlucky...he got shot. No assassination of Fabio Polenghi.

Palm Oil.....I am getting lazy....when was the corruption case at court? I guess it wasn't.

200 dead...Demonstrators who shot the Military officers first and had AKA-47 and other rifles. Grenade launcher, explosives in the parks, where they made traps and enough gasoline to burn down half Bangkok.

What should he have done? Throw cotton pads or wait till Bangkok is finally complete burned down?

Sure you can google some pictures and videos.

The only thing to avoid it would have been if Abhisit steps down. That might have been a better solution, but it wasn't up to Suthep.

And even if you were right....where is the corruption?

You seem quite lazy.

Is this enough for you?

Twist it, bend it, lie.....

So we have off the table the land deal.

I read the Fabio thing now, no one claims an assassination....so that is a lie as well. He was were Military and Demonstrators shot each other and unlucky...he got shot. No assassination of Fabio Polenghi.

Palm Oil.....I am getting lazy....when was the corruption case at court? I guess it wasn't.

200 dead...Demonstrators who shot the Military officers first and had AKA-47 and other rifles. Grenade launcher, explosives in the parks, where they made traps and enough gasoline to burn down half Bangkok.

What should he have done? Throw cotton pads or wait till Bangkok is finally complete burned down?

Sure you can google some pictures and videos.

The only thing to avoid it would have been if Abhisit steps down. That might have been a better solution, but it wasn't up to Suthep.

And even if you were right....where is the corruption?

Being called a "bender" by a bridge owner like you is a bliss.

Yeah corruption does not exist and as long as the people are not guilty in front of the court, there is no corruption in this country...oh wait, that s also a part of the corruption to be able to avoid any problem with justice...not in Thailand right? I mean if Thaksin wasn't here this country would be free of corruption, right?

Edit: there is no "land case off the table" but i can't put your nose into the case physically or force you to get informed... so i just let go, it is ok, I mean, the wikileaks cables are all false, the people who fight against Thaksin are all saint and i have heard that Prayout has already been nominated to be the next anti corruption symbol worldwide

Edited by GeorgesAbitbol

Wow H90. You seriously are deluded.

Ever think that Suthep has never faced any sort of serious charges because he has friends in the right places?

The man himself ADMITTED to colluding in the coup. He was bundled off to the temple shortly thereafter.

For years, Suthep was the behind-the-scenes dealmaker for the Democrat Party, whose public face was the clean-cut, Oxford-educated Abhisit Vejjajiva. Abhisit was prime minister during the 2010 crackdown.

The party often relied on Suthep to do its dirty work, according to a U.S. Embassy cable from 2008 leaked by Wikileaks.

"Several Democrats have privately complained to us that he engages in corrupt and unethical behavior," the cable said. "While Abhisit appears publicly as an ethical intellectual, Suthep serves as the party's backroom dealmaker."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/thailand-s-ex-deputy-pm-thaugsuban-becomes-street-fighter-1.2442156

There's a link for you.

I don't know why we bother though. You will just continue to stick your fingers in your ears going "lalalalalala".

Even Thai friends of mine that took part in the protest against the PTP government last year acknowledged Suthep's corruption. They just saw him as a 'lesser' evil.

If Thaksin is the don of the north then Suthep is definitely the don of the south.

Edited by mrrizzla

Ever think that Suthep has never faced any sort of serious charges because he has friends in the right places?

The man himself ADMITTED to colluding in the coup. He was bundled off to the temple shortly thereafter.

For years, Suthep was the behind-the-scenes dealmaker for the Democrat Party, whose public face was the clean-cut, Oxford-educated Abhisit Vejjajiva. Abhisit was prime minister during the 2010 crackdown.

The party often relied on Suthep to do its dirty work, according to a U.S. Embassy cable from 2008 leaked by Wikileaks.

"Several Democrats have privately complained to us that he engages in corrupt and unethical behavior," the cable said. "While Abhisit appears publicly as an ethical intellectual, Suthep serves as the party's backroom dealmaker."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/thailand-s-ex-deputy-pm-thaugsuban-becomes-street-fighter-1.2442156

There's a link for you.

I don't know why we bother though. You will just continue to stick your fingers in your ears going "lalalalalala".

Even Thai friends of mine that took part in the protest against the PTP government last year acknowledged Suthep's corruption. They just saw him as a 'lesser' evil.

If Thaksin is the don of the north then Suthep is definitely the don of the south.

H90 is probably the Don of the Bridge

There's a link for you.

So you are telling now that the Democrats control the courts?

Yes yes the big conspiration from everyone against your hero Thaksin

My hero Thaksin that I just called a don and a crook?

I just get sick of the hypocrisy. We all know what Thaksin is, but thinking Suthep is some sort of angel compared is just deluded.

And yes courts in Thailand are well know for their impartiality rolleyes.gif

There's a link for you.

So you are telling now that the Democrats control the courts?

Yes yes the big conspiration from everyone against your hero Thaksin

Thaksin card one more time...Dude you should really try to find one...you have also Bush Jr as fan : if you re not with us, you re against us...

mon·o·ma·ni·a
ˌmänəˈmānēə/
noun
  1. exaggerated or obsessive enthusiasm for or preoccupation with one thing.
    synonyms: obsession, fixation, consuming passion, mania, compulsion
    "his interest in the subject verges on monomania"

Despite what people may think of these guys, they are powerful and influential figures. And, as was evidenced during the Bangkok protests, Suthep was prepared to stand up and say "Here I am, do your worst"!

Surely, many Thais would prefer either of these two over the current blight afflicting the country.

"Surely, many Thais would prefer either of these two over the current blight afflicting the country"

"Many Thais" have consistently given Thaksin et al a mandate to run the country over the last 15 years. Conversely, Suthep et al have only achieved power by 'other means'. Let the Thai people choose who they want, they deserve better than 'Hobson's Choice'.

Thaksin bought the elections...giving 500 Baht for the right checkmark. But yes he is highly regarded in North and Northeast.

But Suthep is highly regarded in the South, they regard him like a war hero. Like him or hate him, at the demonstrations he took a lot risks for Thailand.

boring misinformation and obfuscation