ATM's down

tilac01

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems pulling money out of ATM's here in Pattaya. I always use my US debit card without problem but since yesterday it doesn't work, telling me to contact my bank. I contacted my bank in the US and they say no hold or problem on their end.

Yesterday, in Chiang Mai, I tried several ATM's to withdraw money. After entering the PIN number, the screen went bland for several minutes of blank screen, I started pushing buttons. Eventually, my card was returned. Afterwards, I tired Bangkok Bank ATM, it was very slow responding to my withdraw request. Slowly, I received my money and very very slowly I received my ATM.

It's was very strange. It was very uncommon.

I tried taking out 20k baht at SCB and no dice. I was able to take out 10k so obviously a problem with my US bank as I normally take out 24k, just under my $700 limit. Thanks for the responses.

tilac

Which SCB ATM gives more than 20k?

Never got more than 20k (with SCB ATM card).

To all I know its the technical limit for their ATMs,

Or does 24k refer to another bank's ATM?

Bangkok Bank 25k, Krungsri and some others 30k.

The problems described with foreign ATM cards yesterday might have been a temporary problem with the network.

Each transaction goes through the CC network in realtime for balance/credit check.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Take your ATM card and your passport and go into a proper bank and ask them to do the transaction, if there is a problem they will tell you what the problem is/

Atm machines act strangely when there balances are low if you ask for 20k and the machines level is below a certain amount it won't give you that amount you have to start over and try a lower amount say 10k. The other thing is you may have a preset limit for your withdraw limits?

It's probably not your foreign bank it will be the ATM out or low on money.

They, the thai bank, Does not want to lose face so they make you think that the fault is yours or your bank.

I've had this many times try another ATM.

Edited by edd

I doubt this.

At least for Thai ATM cards thats not true.

Quickly you get the message that the amount is not available and what the maximum possible is.

At Bangkok Bank it is often 12500 Baht in 500 Baht notes (25 notes is the technical limit).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I tried for several days to with withdraw 30k from Krungsri and got the same messages to

contact my bank. I contacted both of the banks by Skype. Both assured me there were

no issues with the accounts, the cards, or withdrawal limits. I tried again at Krungsri, still

no joy. So I used both cards to withdraw 25k at a Bangkok Bank ATM, yesterday. No issues.

My banks are Canadian, TD and CIBC. I am in Jomtien. Best of luck.

Edited by Ulic

Don't international ATM withdrawals depend on an internet (or some similar interbank system) connection being made? If the connection can't be made for one reason or other the transaction would not be completed. Happens sometimes even using a credit card for a purchase.

Oh-oh. Wait for it. Wait. Waaaaaiiiittt...

(C'mon somebody, bring up the single internet gateway thing - you know you want to.....)

Seriously, 'happened to me toward the end of last month one day. 'At an ATM right outside a bank branch. It stormed just a few minutes later. Going back to try again after the rain let up (this time with pp in hand so as to be able to get bank employees to talk to me...) it worked just fine. (This was all with the bank's own ATM card...) My take is that the data communications involved must be remarkably vulnerable to disruptions ... in my case relating to the weather, but if that's true then what other kinds of disruptions might also trigger problems?

Edited by hawker9000

Agree with the posters- I withdrew money 3 times on the date in question- the atm system was extremely slow like I have never seen it before- eventually the money came out. I also noticed certain slowdowns on my broadband connection. I suspect there is something amiss with government monitoring. as the weather was sunny with no rain. If they were testing a movement to a single gateway this would slow everything down. If that is true- they are playing with a flawed system.

Don't international ATM withdrawals depend on an internet (or some similar interbank system) connection being made? If the connection can't be made for one reason or other the transaction would not be completed. Happens sometimes even using a credit card for a purchase.

About my idea too.

I remember having one such event in many attempts and there was a message that indicated a technical problem.

Unfortunately I can not remind what the exact message was (about 3 years ago).

After entering data it took unusually long without anything happening which made me nervous.

In the end I was happy that the card was spit out finally and no transaction on the account.

there isn't a scb bank in Soi khao noi.

Soi Khao Noi, actually called Soi (Wat) Boonsampan (Soi Watbunsamphan) has at least one SCB branch.

Or has it been closed since 2012?

https://goo.gl/maps/qRzL1KvSSCA2

And SCB would have to remove it from its list:

http://servicepoint.scb.co.th/en/service_point/144/internet_detail

http://servicepoint.scb.co.th/th/service_point/144/internet_detail

Edited by KhunBENQ

About my idea too.

I remember having one such event in many attempts and there was a message that indicated a technical problem.

Unfortunately I can not remind what the exact message was (about 3 years ago).

After entering data it took unusually long without anything happening which made me nervous.

In the end I was happy that the card was spit out finally and no transaction on the account.

I do remember the failure message I got - 'got it several times (including once by a bank employee). It was "session timeout". Despite what a "timeout" message might suggest, there really wasn't any slowdown; it appeared at about the same time as the payout might have been expected to occur. And my card was returned with no delay.

There could have possible that there was a problem with the software with the ATM?

I've had this happen a number of times living here since I use the ATM a bunch with my foreign card.

I agee with poster edd, post #12, From my experience when this happens it is because the ATM is low in cash and can't process your request. And if you are like most visitor you aren't going to use the ATM asking for 2,000 baht.

Next time just try another ATM, to see if this is the case? Good luck

Edited by thailand49

I have run into this problem from time to time over the years, and it has nothing to do with your card or your bank. Sometimes that particular ATM Machine runs out of money and has none to give you. Especially on weekends or longer holidays, when the bank is closed.

If you tried other ATM Machines and it still doesn't work then don't panic. The most common problem you will face in Thailand is that the Bank Internet is down. Especially on withdrawing funds from Overseas. I actually went to the bank after failed attempts on the ATM Machine and then tried to use my Credit Card. I was told then that they couldn't process that either and on that day because of this. She told me that this included ATM Machines and told me this happens quite often. But lasts only a day.

So later I went to a different Bank and tried there ATM Machine, and when that didn't work I went into there bank and tried to get cash on my Visa Card. This time that bank was able to do that. Why, I am not sure. Perhaps the first bank was downloading then as well.

I tried taking out 20k baht at SCB and no dice. I was able to take out 10k so obviously a problem with my US bank as I normally take out 24k, just under my $700 limit. Thanks for the responses.

tilac

Some ATM Machine have there own limits which can be below your bank limit. I can't tell you how many times I ran into that. What I used to do is find the ATM Machine that gives me what I want, then stick to it. Not all ATM Machines are the same. Of this I am sure.

But one time an hour before my flight at the Barcelona Airport I stuck my Visa Card into an ATM to withdraw cash. The Machine went dead and kept my card. I tried to find someone who spoke English in hopes they could help me, but couldn't. It was only by luck I walked by this machine 20 minutes later and saw my card had now been ejected ad that nobody took it yet. What a Nightmare as I needed my Visa Card on my next journey and wasn't planning on coming back there.

Since that time I only use an ATM Machine when I absolutely have to and only then with my Bank Card. I never use my Visa Card anymore. While Overseas, I would much sooner walk into a Bank with my Visa Card, and talk to a person, then trust some stupid machine with it who can go blank on you anytime, and fail to give your card back right away. Never had a problem since and never ran out of money either.

Go into the Bank, interact with people and no ATM fee. No brainer.

Lol. For a "no brainer" you managed to leave out a few steps:

1 - Go into bank

2 - Explain your business to the attendant

3 - Get a number

4 - Have a seat & post a watch on the queue callbox on the wall

5 - Wait

6 - Wait some more

7 - Wait a little more

8 - When your number finally comes up, THEN you can go "interact"

There actually is a pretty good reason for the existence of ATMs... I've waited in ATM queues, but never as long as I've had to wait in bank branch queues.

Again, I've experienced ATM sessions where the ATM was out of cash. On every such occasion, it clearly said so. It's not really an "error"; or if it is, it's a human error, not a mechanical one.

Go into the Bank, interact with people and no ATM fee. No brainer.

Not many - if any- Thai banks will allow Foreign Debit card counter withdrawals anymore- They will accept a Credit Card or tell you to go to the ATM.

Edited by pontious