White grubs

fruitman

Foto please. If you expose your soil to the sun for a day r two, the heat plus any birds will do the rest.

They are deep in my pots and the soil is always open and exposed.

The gardenshop gave me carbosulfan but i'm not sure if that's good for fruittree's.

post-246323-0-94120900-1450343469_thumb.

These will eat your roots if they can and propagate like billy oh. The adults can consume entire fruit trees. Apply the medicine as prescribed or lose a lot. Related to the cockchafers, can be a real plague. You need to act now.

Pick them out by hand , and put on the BBQ - i have been told they taste like snake or crocodile or chicken.

Seriously it may be time to re-pot your plants as potting soil does not last forever . Lay the old soil out on black plastic in the sun and the birds will have a feast but if you do do not poison the birdsby using a soil drench first.

These will eat your roots if they can and propagate like billy oh. The adults can consume entire fruit trees. Apply the medicine as prescribed or lose a lot. Related to the cockchafers, can be a real plague. You need to act now.

Can they propagate? I read they are the larvae from japanese beetles so i guess they will become beetles and fly away one day?

I treated them with that chemical but i had them before at the pomelotree in a pot and then i didn't do anything. The tree is still fine.

They are in soil from 6 weeks old, it's a very nice loamy soil with much half composted leaves/woody's. I searched hard for this kind of soil, comes in green plastic bags with a picture of a duck on it. The vendor showed me pics where they mine it and he sells a lot of it. Much better soil then in the white plastic woven bags.

But i don't want to use this chemical all year long, only on small seedling tree's that i got from abroad. I only have fruittree's and don't like to use chemicals on them, only in emergency like now.

Thanks for the help folks!

Before going into their cocoon stage they eat everything they can find. Some time later they emerge as adults, eat things and mate, leading on to another cycle. Chemicals won't affect your fruit trees if applied correctly and after all, until they start to bear fruit they will be many times bigger than they are now.

Before going into their cocoon stage they eat everything they can find. Some time later they emerge as adults, eat things and mate, leading on to another cycle. Chemicals won't affect your fruit trees if applied correctly and after all, until they start to bear fruit they will be many times bigger than they are now.

I guess the Thai also use the same chemicals and sell their fruit as well. But if possible i like to keep my garden as clean as possible.

Those beetles must have a good nose for the best soil to lay their eggs in. I have loads of pots around and this one with that loamy soil was even covered with a net and a cage of net all over it. There was a small opening though, i guess they went through that to reach the soil.

But my mangotree in full soil almost didn't grow this year, i wonder if those grubs are responsible for that as well or it was the lack of rain.

All other tree's are fine so it's strange. I will treat the mangotree as well with the chemical.

They probably like the loamy texture and rich organic matter in your potting soil. Members suggestions for mechanical and biological control should be considered. Get a chicken, or a duck, or three.

Carbosulfan is a carbamate, an older generation insecticide with some toxicity concerns for an applicator with frequent exposure. Applicators that use this class of pesticide in California are required to use personal protective gear to avoid skin, eye and lung exposure, and to have monthly blood tests to determine effects on acetylcholinesterase in the body. Frequent exposure to carbamates is known to inhibit cholinesterase, which can have nervous system effects. Think alzheimers disease.

But carbamates are not generally systemic, so if used as a soil treatment it will not be translocated through root uptake into the foliage or fruit. But the other millions of soil micro-organisms should be considered as important for your soil and plant health. Don't kill off the soil biology if you don't have to.

• 2 weeks later...

They probably like the loamy texture and rich organic matter in your potting soil. Members suggestions for mechanical and biological control should be considered. Get a chicken, or a duck, or three.

Carbosulfan is a carbamate, an older generation insecticide with some toxicity concerns for an applicator with frequent exposure. Applicators that use this class of pesticide in California are required to use personal protective gear to avoid skin, eye and lung exposure, and to have monthly blood tests to determine effects on acetylcholinesterase in the body. Frequent exposure to carbamates is known to inhibit cholinesterase, which can have nervous system effects. Think alzheimers disease.

But carbamates are not generally systemic, so if used as a soil treatment it will not be translocated through root uptake into the foliage or fruit. But the other millions of soil micro-organisms should be considered as important for your soil and plant health. Don't kill off the soil biology if you don't have to.

Thanks for the info! I don't see how a chicken can get those grubs out of the soil, they are deep in the pots.

I'm thinking of putting a layer of stones or lavastones on the soil so those beetles can't get access to the soil. Or maybe a net or so. I have many big beetles sitting on the mangoflowers, guess it's them.

Do you know how long the carbamate works?

• 1 year later...

I have a serious white grub problem affecting the Malaysian turf on my lawn which is altogether around 1800m² and maybe around 25% is infested.  I have sprayed three times with Sevin (Carbaryl) mixed as recommended but after almost four weeks see no significant improvement.  It may be that I applied the chemical too late (mid June) so I was looking for Bayer Dylox 6.2 granules which I read should be used in this situation but I was told today that they don't have this in Thailand.  Any suggestions as to a suitable quick acting product (preferably granules) that I can get here?

Archived