Have you had the talk with your children?

Seann

about things that they are not allowed to talk about in Thailand or is it already instinctive to them because they are growing up in Thailand? What about children who have spent time overseas in the West and are coming to live in Thailand for the first time?

Do you tell them that they aren't allowed to talk about certain things in Thailand but that you wish it was different? Given the way a child or teenager brain works, isn't that almost motivation for them to want to talk about those things?

Does this type of environment make raising a child in Thailand difficult?

Do you just avoid the subject altogether?

My lads a little young to be talking about censorship and all that as his head is filled with superheroes, dinosaurs and football, not much room for anything else.

I just wish people wouldnt try to feed him all the rubbish about ghosts and stuff. I do try to counteract.

If I had teenage kids here I would definitely be discussing with them all the recent arrests, attitude adjustments, and long prison sentences for defamation and lese majeste.

I would be telling them that, at home, we can talk about anything - but outside (and particularly on social media) best to keep quiet.

The punishments are extremely harsh. They need to understand the dangers, so they can protect themselves.