Private arts: Bangkok museum celebrates Thai sex industry and its workers

webfact

Private arts: Bangkok museum celebrates Thai sex industry and its workers
Oliver Holmes in Bangkok

Access is by appointment only, but a museum run by a charity championing the rights of women employed in the Thai sex trade is backing decriminalisation and upholding the values of International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers

BANGKOK: -- In a museum on the outskirts of Bangkok, Thailand’s famed sex industry is proudly celebrated. Stripper poles, condoms and sex toys are among the items on display, while another exhibit lauds the trade’s contribution to the economy.

Entrance is strictly by appointment only, says 68-year-old Chantawipa Apisuk, founder of the charity Empower, which runs the museum. The organisation supports women working in the sex industry and – unlike many others in the field – does not pressure them to leave it.

“The museum is not open to the public. People in Thailand still have their perceptions,” says Apisuk, during a tour. Instead, private visits to the This is Us museum can be booked in advance.

Presenting the sex trade without judgment and as equal to all others is highly contentious, especially for those who believe sex work is always an exploitative and desperate way to earn a living.

Apisuk, an irreverent fellow of Harvard Law School who wears round tortoiseshell glasses, believes otherwise. She is pushing to decriminalise the trade so that sex workers can have equal rights. “It’s normal work,” she says. “Sex workers are not victims.”

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/dec/17/thai-sex-industry-private-arts-bangkok-this-is-us-museum-chantawipa-apisuk

-- The Guardian 2015-12-18

Its normal work, she says. Sex workers are not victims.

<snip>

Some factory workers like their jobs, some hate what they have to do to survive. The sex industry is no different.

Actually, quite a lot of feminists support the right of women to engage in sex work. It's an interesting debate.

<snip>

Some factory workers like their jobs, some hate what they have to do to survive. The sex industry is no different.

Actually, quite a lot of feminists support the right of women to engage in sex work. It's an interesting debate.

They should. It's a woman's right to choose what she does with her body, right?

<snip>

They should. It's a woman's right to choose what she does with her body, right?

I think consent is the key issue here. If a woman is not coerced but taking part of her own free will, then that's up to her.

It's good to see an organization trying to bring some truth and sanity to the sex trade rather than the mis-guided do-gooders who think every woman in the world in the sex trade is being exploited and that they don't have minds of their own.

"In a museum on the outskirts of Bangkok, Thailand’s famed sex industry is proudly celebrated. "

I have no problem with this. In fact, I applaud it.

That being said, I am not surprised that Thailand is known in a large part of the world as a destination for only one thing. Sex. Sex is promoted subtly and overtly in the advertisement campaigns, motion pictures, books, etc.

Thailand has a lot to offer to people who are interested in culture. After living here for 9 years, I only found out recently from an article in a western magazine that Bangkok has a world class art museum. The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA). I visited there a few months ago and was amazed at the quality of the exhibits and the building itself. This museum was constructed for one purpose only, to exhibit world class art. Although the entrance fee is quite reasonable, the day I was there, on a Saturday, admission was free. I would have expected to see the place crowded with tourists and children on a field trip. I don't think I saw more than 20 people during the 4 hours I spent there. From some of the exhibits, I learned that there are a number of art movements throughout Thailand with many world renowned artists.

I am sure that art/cultural tours can be offered and they would be a popular tour. I would think that one reason we don't see this is that there is very little opportunity for certain underhanded people to make profits from this, and thus there is no action to promote it. I find it a shame that neither foreign travelers and more importantly, Thai people themselves don't realize what treasures lie within Thailand.

Edited by jaltsc

“It’s normal work,” she says. “Sex workers are not victims.”

Wise words that should be heard by the thousands of knights in shining armor entering this country on their holy missions to "rescue" their chosen hookers ("because she's different") from the evil clutches of oppressive entertainment venue owners and Thai boyfriends or husbands ("he's my brother") - just to eventually being cleaned out and realizing too late that it's all been a fool's quest.

Since the 1960's and even before, Thailand was ground-zero for sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

It worked well for Thailand.

So, why are they trying to make Bangkok into a 5 star resort area for families?

It's so expensive to live here now, I think most of us will leave, myself included.

Since the 1960's and even before, Thailand was ground-zero for sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

It worked well for Thailand.

So, why are they trying to make Bangkok into a 5 star resort area for families?

It's so expensive to live here now, I think most of us will leave, myself included.

Because they'd rather have families here than sex tourists, presumably.

Past Governments have denied that there is a sex industry

here in Thailand,no prostitutes in the country,with an apparently

straight face,politicians,lawyers,and 2nd hand car dealers,have

got to be the best liars,as they do it for a living.as they say,must

be a large part of the economy.they even export it.

regards Worgeordie

why do sex workers earning 50- 100 k a month need 'support'?

Most girls don't earn close to that. I admit that a few do, but they are likely very mercinary in their approach to the job. And that is just what it is to them... a JOB. No feelings, no emotions involved. Just do your thing, leave the money and go. Next.

I have no problems with these girls (or boys) working in the sex industry, provided they do it of their own volition, and are free to quit any time they wish. Their body, their right to do with it as they wish.

What I do have a big problem with is those who force, by whatever means, anyone into the sex industy against their will. Those people need to have the full weight of the law (oh dear, I know, this is Thailand) brought down on them. But that also means that there needs to be good strong laws to protect the sex workers too.