Turkey prices sky high!

condobrit001

Villa Market is notorious for overcharging A head of lettuce can sell for a 129 baht They usually charge 3 times the normal price of other vendors . I try to avoid them since they charge so much so 6800 baht is ridiculous Just don't buy it

Try Paragon downstairs Their prices are about 30% less than VIlla Market more reasonable and not gouging Even Tops has turkeys so try them I am sure they are far less than Villa

There's a ban on US turkeys because bird flu was found in a turkey farm in the US.

Clearly this is not the case. The turkey in question is US Norbest with production date of 22.11.15.

There was a shortage of turkey reported before Thanksgiving, but as the following news article states, most of the turkeys were already frozen, so either a good excuse to jack up prices and/or they're just taking advantage. 20% possible increase, but import prices definitely thru the roof -- at Thanksgiving, I bought a small bird (approx 9 lbs.) and it cost 3000 Bht.

Springtime bird flu causes turkey shortagePosted: Nov 17, 2015 5:25 AMUpdated: Nov 17, 2015 5:26 AM
BOSTON (WHDH) -

There is a turkey shortage ahead of Thanksgiving this year, thanks to an outbreak that affected millions of the birds.

Officials said 7 million turkeys died this year after an outbreak of avian, or bird, flu in April. According to the National Turkey Federation, people are not at risk for the flu because most of the turkeys were already frozen before.

Industry experts are predicting that turkey prices could increase as much as 20 percent this Thanksgiving.

There's a ban on US turkeys because bird flu was found in a turkey farm in the US.

Clearly this is not the case. The turkey in question is US Norbest with production date of 22.11.15.

There was a shortage of turkey reported before Thanksgiving, but as the following news article states, most of the turkeys were already frozen, so either a good excuse to jack up prices and/or they're just taking advantage. 20% possible increase, but import prices definitely thru the roof -- at Thanksgiving, I bought a small bird (approx 9 lbs.) and it cost 3000 Bht.

Springtime bird flu causes turkey shortage Posted: Nov 17, 2015 5:25 AMUpdated: Nov 17, 2015 5:26 AM
BOSTON (WHDH) -

There is a turkey shortage ahead of Thanksgiving this year, thanks to an outbreak that affected millions of the birds.

Officials said 7 million turkeys died this year after an outbreak of avian, or bird, flu in April. According to the National Turkey Federation, people are not at risk for the flu because most of the turkeys were already frozen before.

Industry experts are predicting that turkey prices could increase as much as 20 percent this Thanksgiving.

I don't know if some companies are playing the market with this or not. But what I do know is that the answer to the OP's question is in the US bird flu finding and the subsequent ban on their importation to Thailand!

Cripes. This thread sounds like a Bernard Trink column in the Bangkok Post. All that is missing is where to get Dinty Moores Beef stew for a few baht cheaper 20 miles across town, and where on Patpong the perverts can gather for happy hour.

But who gives a hoot

Actually this is the case. The ban on all raw turkey imports has been in place for a while and has created such a shortage of turkey's that Villa has decided to cash-in and place huge premiums on the ones they have left. Hotels have been forecd to also buy from Villa and this has added to the price hike.

Interested in which Villa still has them available, as I have searched Bangkok hi and low and been unable to find any turkey's in the past two weeks.

Well at least you found a Turkey this year. I checked out Marko and Tops in Udon Thani and didn't find any. I settle on a 7 pound Ham, which cost me about the same and 2,100 Baht. So 21 pounds for 6,300 Baht, if I bought that much. So for sure some stores are taking advantage of the Turkey shortage from other meats to.

I heard from the store manager, and also read on the Internet, that the USA has some kind of Turkey Flu and many countries including Thailand banned them here this season. Canada produces a lot of Turkeys to, but most are consumed in Canada, with only about 20% for export. But with a Turkey shortage in the States no doubt those prices have gone up there to.

Some of us do have family dinners to prepare and if you are taking an entire family to a Bangkok hotel for dinner, you are talking 18K.....Tops is not selling any Turkeys this year (so person who said so is wrong this year)...there are very visible signs up from the Department of Livestock in all Tops stores...they are only selling large chickens...turkeys are not being imported at this time...

Cripes. This thread sounds like a Bernard Trink column in the Bangkok Post. All that is missing is where to get Dinty Moores Beef stew for a few baht cheaper 20 miles across town, and where on Patpong the perverts can gather for happy hour.

The thread is looking for fresh turkey, as it matters to some folks.. especially elderly visiting relatives ...Trink was searching for tricks, cheap drinks, and sad canned food..not comparable...

The thread is looking for fresh turkey, as it matters to some folks.. especially elderly visiting relatives ...Trink was searching for tricks, cheap drinks, and sad canned food..not comparable...

• 8 months later...