Gprs Phones And E-mail

Phil Conners

I got my DTAC SIM enabled for GPRS/MMS and an email address in the format [email protected].

Sending a mail to it got me an SMS message, but no matter what I do I can't read the mail in any way. When I try to retrieve mail manually I get the error "Subscribe to GPRS first". The odd thing is that I *am* subscribed to GPRS and through the WAP interface I am able to read the mail "webmail style" - but this is far too clunky for me.

After having spent an hour on the phone with DTAC's hotline explaining the situation to successive staff, someone finally told me direct email wasn't supported (yet) by DTAC.

Anyone got this working here with either DTAC or AIS (I think they're the only two GPRS operators in Thailand, right?) Anyone know if direct email is supported by AIS?

No clue,

Use the GPRS system from AIS, got an e-mail adress as well but never used it...Use an old Palm VX with Eudoraweb on it to get access to any pop3/smtp based e-mail server...

I tend to be weary of any provider based e-mail, you change provider for whatever reason and gone is your e-mail...

Thaivisa has web based e-mail with pop3 access for a small fee...

WWW.gawab.com has free e-mail with both web based access and free pop3 (for the time being anyway...)

Some phones already support pop3/smtp email access...

I'm not looking for a new email address, I already have plenty of those. I'm looking for a way to download email directly to the phone using GPRS. My intention is to forward high-priority mail to the DTAC email address in order to receive the mail near-instantly.

Hi Madsere,

Just called cust. support from AIS and they say I can't get to my e-mail directly, only through Wap or regular browser...

Depending on which phone you have, you can get direct access to your pop3 e-mails (through gprs)

Check out http://www.dtac.co.th/eng/ProductsServices..._popkscuser.htm

for an example using a Nokia phone and a KSC e-mail account...

If your phone can't do this you'll be stuck with either WAP access or getting yourself a suitable PDA...

Hopefully this helps you some...

Monty

Yes I saw the link and Yes, though my phone, a Nokia 6820, isn't yet listed on their website, it does support reading mail from pop3/imap4 and sending via imap4/smtp.

The problem is as I said, it doesn't work. When I try to connect I get the message "Subscribe to GPRS first" - and as I also pointed out already, I *am* subscribed to GPRS and can use the services part over GPRS just fine.

madsere

You have two options, one is to access your email via WAP. The other is to access it via the SMS. The SMS obviously has the limitation of 160 characters. The cost is 3 baht per forwarded message.

You do not need to be subscribed to GPRS to receive and reply to email to your telephone.

Though, if you are, you can use the WAP option.

Madsere,

I believe DTAC have sold you something, as indicated by their staff, which is not yet operational by DTAC. I am unfortunately away from Thailand and I did not bring all the information with mebut I use a GRPS modem via the UBS port, while in Thailand. Check out the Database people from Bangkok Post. I read all the information in one of their Wednesday features and went out buying excaxtly what they recommended. Now you have incurred some expenses already and sending the guys at Bangkok Post an email, may just give you some answers to your problem.

Good luck.

Cheers.........kandt :o