Need copy of transponder GSXR1000 Key

floridaguy

Hey guys and gals, long time since I have posted!

I have an imported Australian 2006 Suzuki GSXR1000 K6 that I have only one key for, and I would like to make a copy before I lose this little sucker (key, not GF) down a sewer! I have contacted both Suzuki Thailand in Bangkok and Suzuki Australia. Transponder, or "chipped" keys are not used on Thai model Suzuki motorcycles, so they can't help me. No word from Australia.

My understanding is that even if I can find a blank key with a transponder chip in it, I would have to take it to a dealer for them to program it specifically for my bike. So my dilemma is that I can't get a copy made in Thailand, right?!?

Anyone else run into this problem with imported bikes? What can I do???

Cheers all!

John

BTW, I do NOT have the little metal tag that comes with a code on it when you buy the bike.

I would start looking on GSXR forums for the way forward.

If you can work out what the ECU is communicating with you could take the key plus the other component (ECU, dash or a separate black box probably) to a country that has a GSXR K6 plus the factory tool to match the key to whatever component it is communicating with.

You plug your bits into the K6 in your chosen country, programme the key and then bring your bits back here.

That may sound daft but I did essentially that with the security system for an imported car years ago. Nobody in Thailand had the factory tool for matching the key to, in the case of the car, the ECU so I flew to Hong Kong and we matched the parts there on a car of the same model there. It took less than five minutes.

An expensive and time consuming way to do it but I did not want to risk the potential grief involved in mailing an expensive ECU out and then back into Thailand.