New Law Totally Bans Alcoholic Beverage Ads In All Media

george

...however , at dinner parties the mix is (usually) couples known to each other, either in a restaurant or house, as opposed to groups of single competing males down the pub.

other European countries do have the same problems with drunken males.

Thai youths are also known for their propensity for violence after a skinful too...

Yes of course, all good points, but what I was attempting to counter was the frequently-heard assertion that alcohol *causes* violence, as sure as night follows day; when it patently does not.

Alcohol is a mood enhancer.... you start out happy with your lot in life, it accentuates that.... you start out already depressed or angry about something that happened at work, dole office etc, it accentuates that…

This mood-enhancing explanation by Thaddeus is very thought-provoking: I hadn’t heard that before. Thanks. Maybe that does indeed explain most of the effects.

But, by way of personal counterexample, each night that I return, incandescent with rage at the antics of the construction crew at the house I’m building in Phuket, I find a well-made Mohito, rather than provoking me to run amok with an AK47 (a perfectly reasonable response others who have built homes here will agree) merely causes me to relax, stare at the ceiling, and dream that one day it might all be finished.

Perhaps it’s just that everyone is different.

And no Government can legislate for that.

Cheers!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy, have all Thai drivers do a new exam without bribes....

Should kick so many of the road its safe,

and as anyone on Phuket will admit, they should charge 10000 baht or more to the company/driver who gets stuck on a hill due to driving overweight or using the wrong gears.

The idiots drive a large car and havent got a clue how to drive over the hills...

What a thought how would they all get around the Island.

50 thousand bicycles a day being pushed up Patong Hill. We could build hotels for all the "Quality Tourists" on the bypass road and build a community centre where the caltex garage is.

Would put us in credit on the omissions quotas if they exist.

Edited by Steph1012

I don't see a problem with that in the USA you can't advertise alcohol on tv ....

Have you EVER been to the USA?

Beer advertising is all over TV, especially on sports programming. Liquor advertising is beginning to creep in now too. It was never banned by law -- the advertisers censored themselves for fear of a backlash and laws against all alcohol advertising. But they've been testing the waters recently.

Again, there is no ban on alcohol advertising on TV in the US. Don't know where you heard that.

Well a couple of posters on the other topic quite rightly brought up the point of televised sporting events where alcohol is often advertised (on football shirts or something), whats the deal there? They did suggest in the other statement that this might be the exception to the rule, or what, no more football on Thai TV? I don't think so.

Red screen and blurry censors.

:o

To be honest I was amazed today at a UBC movie where the guy had a sigar in his hand and as soon as it reached his mouth it was blurred out. Same with a guy pointing towards the target.. What about all those horrible magazines with dead people which are sold at many stands??

Anyway it reminds me of a movie I saw in the UK with the guy playing James Bond but on an oil platform hijacking.

In the English version there was a minor peep at a lady with as result: my god, a woman...

In the arabic version (I was in Egypt) they cut about 15 minutes and totally destroyed the 2 best jokes in the movie...

Long live dvd, vcd etc etc and obviously internet...

Anyway, I suggest it will die...

Alcohol is a mood enhancer.... you start out happy with your lot in life, it accentuates that.... you start out already depressed or angry about something that happened at work, dole office etc, it accentuates that…

This mood-enhancing explanation by Thaddeus is very thought-provoking: I hadn’t heard that before. Thanks. Maybe that does indeed explain most of the effects.

===

A remark here as when I studied chemistry we did experiments on coffee.

Some people sober up, others get more drunk....

But, by way of personal counterexample, each night that I return, incandescent with rage at the antics of the construction crew at the house I’m building in Phuket, I find a well-made Mohito, rather than provoking me to run amok with an AK47 (a perfectly reasonable response others who have built homes here will agree) merely causes me to relax, stare at the ceiling, and dream that one day it might all be finished.

Jinhjok

You have obviously reached the exalted heights of obtaining a true measure of mai pben rai and T.I.T

It took me a while...... worth it in the end.

A visitor here, not an expat, who experienced part of my 'house building endeavours' once asked me how I put up with all the nonsense .

Easy ..... take the top of your head off, remove brain, rotate through 90 degrees and reinsert.

It beats sitting in a six hour traffic jam on the Thelwall Viaduct in the middle of one of the three hot UK days a year in a non-air-con car with a mobile phone that tells you, you have now missed another three calls while you were making the last one...... if I had an AK47 then, I probably wouldn't be here :o

Edit...... typo

Edited by Thaddeus

====

Its correct though but it doesnt mean it has to win..

I myself need a 10 minute sleep, and I am back to sober...

Doesnt happen often but one should be able to control what one eats or drinks or smokes.

I donot smoke, but as medicines donot work on me in their normal way in many cases some experiments in University (controlled) showed clearly that what has an effect on one person doesnt work on another...

==========

=============

Whats a Mohito???

===============

Perhaps it’s just that everyone is different.

======================

correct

==================

And no Government can legislate for that.

================================

I will drink to that , no better not, its too late....

Anyway keep in mind that they arent worried about farangs health...

but too many Thais get drunk/plastered om rice vodka... AND that stuff hasnt got a brand to advertise as most is made locally.

One time they gave me vodka Thay style and it really tasted good...

Not like some of the crap bottled officially but allas the shops moved...

Cheers!

Not against the alcohol advert ban. There are plenty of companies out there for sponsorships, alcohol and tobacco are only the most aggressive ones, sporting events can easily go on without them. Been done.

I hardly ever drink. I often drive though and that's when I lose it and become an angry monster. Good thing if it results in a few less drunks on the roads but I doubt you'll notice any difference in driver behaviour. There's wayyy too many uneducated, suicidal and inconsiderate drivers out there.

I hope that's taken care of some day.

What a thought how would they all get around the Island.

====================

Well every day I guess 10-20 cars donot...

I never got stuck... It simple, you go up a hill and give gas and rpm goes down, you get stuck unless you drop gear down and when youre in one, well , your ###### car is to heavy and thus walk.

And you deserve that walk. I had a guy asking me for a lift when he got stuck, no way.

=============================

50 thousand bicycles a day being pushed up Patong Hill. We could build hotels for all the "Quality Tourists" on the bypass road and build a community centre where the caltex garage is.

==============

Its not the motor bikes as they havent got the problem, its the damned cars with cement, stones and other heavy stuff. As you mention the caltex station I asume you know that hill. Its a disaster...Ask the police for statistices. I pass that damned hill 2-3 times per day and about every time there is a hickup.... Bypass road, I am not going there any more... too damned dangerous.

Not against the alcohol advert ban. There are plenty of companies out there for sponsorships, alcohol and tobacco are only the most aggressive ones, sporting events can easily go on without them. Been done.

I hardly ever drink. I often drive though and that's when I lose it and become an angry monster. Good thing if it results in a few less drunks on the roads but I doubt you'll notice any difference in driver behaviour. There's wayyy too many uneducated, suicidal and inconsiderate drivers out there.

I hope that's taken care of some day.

The real point in this thread is being overlooked.. Does this law mean that Miss Bulgaria/Miss Singha Beers work permit will not be renewed next year

All that queing at the labour office, hat was it for? Is she gutted?

I think we should be told.....

On a slightly more seroius note ban the booze 'n' fags adds, use some of the booze tax money for ANTI drinking /driving smoking/crime/

More adds for swimming/safe sex/family values/

and whilst I'm on the horse....

Less TV programmes about homicidal maniacs, knife wielding women, gun law, malevolent spirits :D and those dumb drum rolls after the weak punchlines by the unfunny comedians. :D

More David Attenborough and bring back the Waltons or a Thai equivalent!

(Mr Tony Clifton was indisposed this evening) :o

On a slightly more seroius note ban the booze 'n' fags adds, use some of the booze tax money for ANTI drinking /driving smoking

A bit hypocritical, isn't it? :o

Why not tax opium poppy farmers to help heroin addicts?

Edited by Neeranam

New law totally bans alcoholic beverage ads in all media

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will impose a complete ban on alcohol advertisements in all forms of media as KNOWN

Dr. Mongkol vowed to give birth to another law to protect non-drinking people within a year FOR WHAT? maybe being whistled AT??

The new law, he said, would see a strict control on alcohol outlets and an establishment Ya"Oh my Home SAFE or gotta' move 4 booze??

Meanwhile, Dr did not elaborate when or where such an AGREEMENT a meeting ALREADY taken place. WITH ANOTHER THAILAND'S BILLIONAIRS

GREAT EVONOMIC OPPORTUNITY GET/BUY WHOLSALE/RETAIL BOOZE LICENSE THEN SET UP BOOZE ON WHEELS TO ever so underdrag coveriage Deliver TO yOUR Home's non-drinking Zone. CLEVER CLEAVER Where's Dr WHO??

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will impose a complete ban on alcohol advertisements in all forms of media as KNOWN

Dr. Mongkol vowed to give birth to being whistled AT??

The new law, he said, would see a strict control on alcohol outlets and an establishment Ya"Oh my Home SAFE or gotta' move 4 booze??

Meanwhile, Dr did not elaborate when or where such an AGREEMENT a meeting ALREADY taken place. WITH ANOTHER THAILAND'S BILLIONAIRS

GREAT EVONOMIC OPPORTUNITY GET/BUY WHOLSALE/RETAIL BOOZE LICENSE THEN SET UP BOOZE ON WHEELS TO ever so underdrag coveriage Deliver TO yOUR Home's non-drinking Zone. CLEVER CLEAVER Where's Dr WHO??

PS Ya'oh IS THIS AN ACCOMMODATION 4 OUR NEW "ARAB LAND[ing] billion baht payoff [but no Boys Only Zone!

New law totally bans alcoholic beverage ads in all media

Dr. Mongkol vowed to give birth to another law to protect non-drinking people within a year FOR WHAT? maybe being whistled AT??

Typical...everyone has missed the point. This has nothing to do with road carnage or the other sad effects of alcohol abuse. This finds its reason d'ettra in the fact that alcohol has for hundreds of years been helping ugly people have sex, and is being enacted as a birth control method.

Seriously, 600 dead over New Year Holiday. And nobody hears much about it . Imagine the uproar in any western country with such an horrible statistic. This may not [probably will not] be the answer but surely something must be done to reduce this ugly statistic and aleviate the suffering so caused.

Perhaps a system which doesn't allow inexperienced young drivers behind the wheel of hugh 4WD's and high powered cars, or to drive at night , until they have a few years experience and gained some more maturity.?

In the US, First it was tobacco banned in media ads...then domestic flights...then all flights...then offices...then restaurants...now it's illegal outdoors on some public streets...next you will be advised that you can't smoke in your home because the residual 2nd hand smoke might affect a future buyer.......

Doesn't matter to me as long as they don't get carried away with playing morality police with the alcohol

I've never understood the need for alcohol to be advertised.

It's like saying ...... sshhhhhh if they don't see it on Television they'll never know about it.

================================================================

That's so right, I mean: what difrence does it make anyway ? ? ? Zilch, in my book.

But if they believe it will make traffic safer, perhaps they'ld better think again.

555 T.I.T.

:o

Jaap

Pattaya

It might be nice if they taught the Thais how to drive better.

Do you suppose this will be the end of the Johnnie Walker advertisement on Bayoke Tower that has been there for almost a year?

:o All liquor ads were once banned in the US, but some high end swill has found its way back. Now the beer and wine flacks don't 'advertise' they just remind us over and over and over what good citizens they are.

I assume all those fancy neon-lit signs OUTSIDE of all the pubs also constitute a form of media. We should strongly petition the government to remove these symbols of the modern decay of Thai values immediately!!! They should then have a mass auction of said memoribila open to the public. I've got my eye on one of those fancy Heinekin signs in the shape of a glass with the fake beer inside that looks real.......MAN.......they are SO cool!.......Anyway, as soon as this law passes I'm gonna be at my local with a jimmy bar and a screwdriver. RISE UP!!!!!! PROTECT THE INNOCENT THAI FROM WESTERN CORRUPTION!!!!..........and score come cool things for your loungeroom/bar!! :o