Arriving Supanaphum, is it worth buying wine duty-free there?

chubby

Duty free prices in BKK are about the same as in town store prices and sometimes more expensive than store prices. It is the most stupid airport duty free I've ever seen.

OK, let's take Bombay Sapphire gin for example. A one litre bottle at BKK duty free costs 830 baht. That works out to the equivalent of 622 baht for a standard 750 mL bottle.

At the in-town shops (Villa, Tesco Lotus, etc.), a 750 mL bottle costs 1000 baht or more.

I would really appreciate a recommendation regarding where I can buy spirits in town at or lower than duty free at BKK, and specifically, where I can buy Bombay Sapphire for 622 baht.

The choice is not BKK city or BKK airport.....

Buy it in your home country, unless that is Saudi Arabia or UK.

OK, so since I was using Bombay Sapphire as an example, here are the US$ prices in several airports.

BKK: $22.98

DXB: $22.00

LHR: $35.80

http://www.easydutyfree.com/bia/Bombay%20Sapphire-Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi%20Airport-dutyfree

BKK is only slightly more than Dubai, and from my experience, Dubai duty free generally has the best alcohol prices.

I thought that duty free items can only be purchase upon departure not arrival? The product leaves the country with the traveler therefore avoiding import duty tax as the product has not technically entered the country. Of course, these items must be claimed upon arrival at the next country were duty will be charged if the items are outside the duty free limit. Example: you buy a duty free Rolex in Thailand and fly to the US. Failing to claim the Rolex on the entry Customs form is illegal and could result in forfeiture of the Rolex at worst or duty tax being levied at best. If you are buying "duty free" products on arrival I would suspect this is a marketing ploy only and that the product prices in fact contain duty tax.

Duty free prices in BKK are about the same as in town store prices and sometimes more expensive than store prices. It is the most stupid airport duty free I've ever seen.

...actually not stupid....just NOT for 'us'....

...people who work for or are associated with the airports have the first pick and have their houses stacked with great selections...

...that also explains the limited choices....

....and...I guess they have to 'make up the difference' by selling the rest to us....

There is a very old scam that happens in the duty-free shops. You go in for a look and the nice girl in the store gives you a gift. You think life is good.

When you leave the po-po stitches you up for stealing. They take you to a room somewhere and a third party comes in a negotiates the pay off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8154497.stm

I thought people had forgotten this scam

but i'm glad it's posted,, let us never forget

it's King something i think.

I thought that duty free items can only be purchase upon departure not arrival? The product leaves the country with the traveler therefore avoiding import duty tax as the product has not technically entered the country. Of course, these items must be claimed upon arrival at the next country were duty will be charged if the items are outside the duty free limit. Example: you buy a duty free Rolex in Thailand and fly to the US. Failing to claim the Rolex on the entry Customs form is illegal and could result in forfeiture of the Rolex at worst or duty tax being levied at best. If you are buying "duty free" products on arrival I would suspect this is a marketing ploy only and that the product prices in fact contain duty tax.

And on arrival, but before you go through customs.

A waste of time to buy wine in Thailand, wherever you buy it. Unless you are prepared to keep it in air-conditioned comfort all the time, and gamble that the shop has done the same. Even good quality wines from Australia spoil quite quickly, so what chance has anything from the US, Chile, France and Germany have from further away? Thai wine is dreck.

If you cannot do without wine, buying Chateau Cardboard from any Big C or Tesco Lotus will do just as well.

I stick with Scotch or beer here, very rarely drink wine.

forget the overpriced wine, (most of it taste like vinegar anyway) spend ya wad on a case of SANG SOM 40% proof Thai rum, falling down liquid, enjoy ,OH i nearly forgot CHEAP.. enjoy he he

Edited by mercman24

Not true. In Australia, you can either purchase duty free going out, and pick it up on the way in. OR purchase on arrival. One trap for tourists is buying duty free in Sydney on arrival, then transiting on to Melbourne. Can't take it in carry-on luggage ( security ), can't access your hold luggage. I poured it down an airport toilet rather than give it over to airport security, as it's probably a good little perk of their job.

Except for places such as Norfolk Island, where alcohol is genuinely duty free, it's not worth it. Most of the "duty free" in major airports has a hefty profit margin built in, in exchange for an airport monopoly.

forget the overpriced wine, (most of it taste like vinegar anyway) spend ya wad on a case of SANG SOM 40% proof Thai rum, falling down liquid, enjoy ,OH i nearly forgot CHEAP.. enjoy he he

Obviously a person of good taste, with a discriminating palate.laugh.png

The airport "tax free" shops are a rip off, especially at BKK.

I have never seen any wine worth buying there.

And do not forget: You are allowed only 1 liter of alcoholic beverages, and that includes wine, beer and liquor COMBINED!

Also you are not allowed to declare the extra liters and pay duty.

If you want 1 bottle for a special occasion, buy it at home and bring it in your checked baggage.

The ones in Bangkok are cheaper than many other countries, particularly for tobacco products.

Probably not cheaper than Tesco though.

Tesco Lotus is most definitely not cheaper than BKK duty free for spirits. Duty free is at least 25 - 30% cheaper for the same brand.

Thanks for that info, not bought any for while. I like to buy the premium stuff which is harder to find, Single malts for Eg.

Not true. In Australia, you can either purchase duty free going out, and pick it up on the way in. OR purchase on arrival. One trap for tourists is buying duty free in Sydney on arrival, then transiting on to Melbourne. Can't take it in carry-on luggage ( security ), can't access your hold luggage. I poured it down an airport toilet rather than give it over to airport security, as it's probably a good little perk of their job.

Except for places such as Norfolk Island, where alcohol is genuinely duty free, it's not worth it. Most of the "duty free" in major airports has a hefty profit margin built in, in exchange for an airport monopoly.

Yep I agree. Rarotonga is the same. Spirits are cheap there.

Didn't know about the transitting in Aus though. Thanks for that info.

Duty free is a rort. Most of the time you can buy cheaper at home in a supermarket.

OK, let's take Bombay Sapphire gin for example. A one litre bottle at BKK duty free costs 830 baht. That works out to the equivalent of 622 baht for a standard 750 mL bottle.

At the in-town shops (Villa, Tesco Lotus, etc.), a 750 mL bottle costs 1000 baht or more.

I would really appreciate a recommendation regarding where I can buy spirits in town at or lower than duty free at BKK, and specifically, where I can buy Bombay Sapphire for 622 baht.

I just checked with an alcohol wholesaler that delivers to a lot of the bars in Bangkok.

Bombay Sapphire 75cl is 984.40 baht inc. VAT. I doubt you'll find it much cheaper than that in Bangkok shops, as that is the trade price. Minimum order is 5000 baht.

Edited by blackcab

That makes sense. I checked the price at Tesco Lotus today and Bombay Sapphire was 1050 baht for 75cl.

Duty Free at Suvarnabhumi was 830 baht for 1L with no minimum order.

Who has a calculator to work out whether prices are better at BKK duty free as compared to in-town prices?