Which is your favorite Thai Bank?

The link you provided doesn't tell the complete story, the asset size of the parent bank in many cases is way higher than stated. For example, BAY, Bank of Ayudhya (the yellow bank) is owned by Bank Tokyo Mitsubishi which has assets of over USD 2.5 trillion.

But to take your question on face value, UOB gets my vote every time, one of the top fifteen safest banks in the world.

I like the krung thai netBanking. Very clean interface, modern with drag/drop and copy/paste ability. But they often want to charge for some sms notifications of payment.

Bangkok bank disables copy/paste ability on their entire internet banking. But Bangkok bank is valuable for people using direct deposit out of their USA, UK, JP, Malay, etc branches.

Think also about how ubiquitous they are in the town you live in most often. Fow far and how many atms/cdms are there nearby or where you shop/drive through the most.

You need a place to store your funds and withdraw and do the occassional purchase/transfer. You'll likely have at least 1 acct with 2-3 separate banks anyway.

Edited by 4evermaat

I don't have a true favorite....where favorite meaning preferred before all others of the same kind or especially well liked. I don't especially well like any of them.

Instead, I have a couple which I bank with simply because they provide satisfactory banking services and generally have a supportive attitude towards farang customers. Of course that "supportive attitude towards farangs" can vary from branch to branch. They are Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank.

And for Bangkok Bank they have one capability that other Thai banks do not have and that is U.S. Automated Clearing House (ACH) receiving capability. ACH is the primary funds transfer network in the U.S. The ACH receiving capability allows low cost funds transfers to Thailand via routing through Bangkok Bank's New York branch...and you don't have to have an account with their NY branch as you simply use their ACH/ABA routing number and your local Bangkok Bank account number. The transfer is treated as a U.S. domestic transfer...allows most folks to avoid a pricey SWIFT fee, have monthly pension payments direct deposited to their Bangkok Bank account, etc. The ACH capability is a definite plus for U.S. folks.

Nope, I don't have a true favorite among Thai banks as in I really like their banking services; instead, their services are OK. But a lot of my feelings are caused by the banking laws/regulations in Thailand which are significantly different and more restrictive than U.S. banking laws/regulations I've been use to. So, "When in Rome Thailand, I live like the Romans Thais do banking-wise. A person's banking expectations should adjust to the country they are living in which helps greatly to lower a person's banking blood pressure.

Krung Sri bank ( Bank of Audhaya ) owned by the Japanese, modern, efficiency and courtesy meet

the customers every time...

Never knew they were Japanese owned. Moved from the dreadful Tanachart to them and they have been good so far.

I get great customer service at TMB (Thai Military Bank). And, like Bangkok Bank, TMB has an international branch -- only instead of New York, it's in the Cayman Islands. Hey, I wonder if that is where all the bonus money went from that Thai aircraft carrier that has no airplanes. Maybe it will receive the retirement bounty from the submarine purchase. Anyway, handy to have that Cayman Islands account for the unusually big money that sometimes comes to those who fight corruption.

I also very much like TMB's "no fee account." I can transfer money anywhere in the country with no fees.

Edited by PattayaClub

I use UOB, KBANK and BBL. All 3 are good. UOB and BBL I have an ATM card because they use the chip technology, so low risk to get scammed. KBANK I have a passbook and service was always good and I use them for my business as well. But don't use them with an ATM card. I prefer those banks because they are privately owned and provide better services. Just my opinion.

Krung Sri bank ( Bank of Audhaya ) owned by the Japanese, modern, efficiency and courtesy meet

the customers every time...

Never knew they were Japanese owned. Moved from the dreadful Tanachart to them and they have been good so far.

MUFJ bought the majority stake in BAY from GE in 2013.

I thought no foreign bank could hold the main stake in a Thai bank?

"The deal requires approval from Thailand's finance ministry as foreign ownership in domestic banks is capped at 49 percent. MUFG told a briefing it believes Bangkok would "take a favorable view" and said it was considering merging its Thai operations with Ayudhya to comply with Thailand's single presence policy on bank ownership".

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mufg-ayudhya-idUSBRE9610DE20130702

I use UOB, KBANK and BBL. All 3 are good. UOB and BBL I have an ATM card because they use the chip technology, so low risk to get scammed. KBANK I have a passbook and service was always good and I use them for my business as well. But don't use them with an ATM card. I prefer those banks because they are privately owned and provide better services. Just my opinion.

Went to UOB yesterday to open an account.

First I was told that I would need a workpermit to open an account. After a lot of arguing a colleague told her that it wasn't a requirement.

Next she told me that I would need an address in my home country, and at the hand of an electricity bill, proof that I was still living there.

I told her again that she should stop making up rules, and again she was told by the same colleague that she was wrong.

Third made up requirement was that I needed to have a Thai wife.

I then told her that she should stop being racist and left, but not after demanding her name card, with the mention to report her to the head office.

Of course the latter would be a waste of my time.

I get great customer service at TMB (Thai Military Bank). And, like Bangkok Bank, TMB has an international branch -- only instead of New York, it's in the Cayman Islands. Hey, I wonder if that is where all the bonus money went from that Thai aircraft carrier that has no airplanes. Maybe it will receive the retirement bounty from the submarine purchase. Anyway, handy to have that Cayman Islands account for the unusually big money that sometimes comes to those who fight corruption.

I also very much like TMB's "no fee account." I can transfer money anywhere in the country with no fees.

I was a guest on that aircraft carrier not long ago....they have a few toy ones for sale and the officer's lounge...aka a bar was outfitted to the max so things aren't as bad as they seem...??

Glad we got the "which Thai bank is the best/should I use" question ticked off this week already. Yesterday completed the weekly "how many back to back visas can I get" question. If tomorrow brings the "can I get a re-entry permit at the airport" question we can wrap it up for the week.

I have so many favorite banks! How can I choose just 1?

I've had an account with Bangkok Bank for about 15 years. Never had a problem and I like being able to transfer money in the US to their New York branch, but I'm not sure I'd use the word "favorite." Convenient for me and trouble-free, yes, but it's remained a fairly Platonic relationship rather than one of passion.

My best at the moment is BBL and I do have accounts with Krungsri and Kasikorn; years ago when still working used Siam Com also and they were good. Currently though, if I need to go into a Kasi or Krungsri branch I need to look around for one that's not crowded out.BBL to me is easiest online bank

Would advise anyone on this planet to stay well away from the HSBC; a <deleted> nightmare to deal with, Stanchart not much better.

I have so many favorite banks! How can I choose just 1?

I've had an account with Bangkok Bank for about 15 years. Never had a problem and I like being able to transfer money in the US to their New York branch, but I'm not sure I'd use the word "favorite." Convenient for me and trouble-free, yes, but it's remained a fairly Platonic relationship rather than one of passion.

Too many fees.