Bought a used Fuji X-Pro1 in Japan

Hi guys and girls (if any),

I been considering which mirrorles system to buy for a loooooong time and spend 100's of hours reading blogs/forums/reviews, looking photos and so on.

I pretty quickly zoomed in on Fujifilm as my camera of choice despite the Sony's are likely better overall in IQ (I have a Sony RX100 mk3 which is a keeper).

I like the colors from the Fuji's, very vibrant and the X-Trans CMOS sensor (APS-C sized) have been highly praised from both pro's and amateurs but okay the 16MP sensor is perhaps a bit dated and rumors are that an X-Pro2 will come next year with likely a 24MP sensor.

Also important: Fuji's are fun to shot with, they got a shutter speed dial,compensation dial and a f- ring on the lenses, aka they are real camera's and not one of those electronic "things". I seen some Sony owners in the Fuji forums that jumped ship partly because to this.

Fuji's lenses too are top notch generally but expensive (you normally get what you pays for it as the old saying goes).

I was then looking into which camera to get; love the X100T man, I really do but the fixed 23mm lens made me discard it and started looking into the lovely XT10 that is a smaller non weather proff version of the top model X-T1.

Then when being 100% honest with myself; My interest in photographing comes and goes, so I started to looking into buying used gear and I quickly noticed the X-Pro1 was fairly cheap (XP2 coming soon) and is known to be a top notch camera and have both optical & EVF (only Fuji does that, I think).

Buying on-line from the US is very hard unless you are willing to pay a lot in shipping and import taxes and many places on Amazon, they don't even ship to Thailand. One of the biggest camera retailers in the US didn't even bother answering me when I asked; why they don't ship to LOS. Well if they don't want my business up to them!

I then found a used XP1 in Japan for app 400$ (<15k baht) without lens and bought it (no import tax, was sent as a gift). Luckily AV camera in Bangkok had a used 18-55mm f2.8-4 Fujinon for sale at 9000 baht so I bough that one as well, new price when not a kit lens; 22.000 baht. Both camera & lens have some cosmetic wear but I don't mind that, they work 100%.

I also ordered a used Tamron 90mm fixed f2.8 lens with 1:1 Marco (also Japan), got it for below 6000 baht and a Nikon to Fuji X mount adapter for about 350 baht. Okay the Tamron will be tricky to work with: No electronic contact to the camera, so you will have to do everything manually (focus & f) but the lens is considered excellent IQ and a classic, so I am looking forward to play around with it when it arrives.

The Fuji X-Pro was 1700$ when launched in 2012 and they are about 800 bucks now (new) because Fuji wants to clear stock before the X-Pro2 comes out.

Clearly lots of money saved here if you can live with not having the latest camera gear and for a part time hobbyist photographer like me; the way to go.

I will post some photos in the different scenes topics when I know the camera better.

Archived