Two men in Chiang Mai suspected to have died from cold weather

webfact

Two men in Chiang Mai suspected to have died from cold weather

CHIANG MAI: -- Two men were found dead after being exposed to cold weather overnight in Hang Dong and Saraphi districts of Chiang Mai on Sunday.

The first case was reported to Hang Dong district police by the wife of the victim, 39-year old Mr Tossaphol Tha-in who lived in a house in village three, Tambon San Pak Wan. She said her husband who wore only shorts stayed up late watching TV on the ground floor when she went to bed.

She woke up at six and found her husband lying dead on the tiled floor. Police found no traces of wounds on the victim’s body and assumed that he died of sudden heart failure after long exposure to cold weather.

In another case, Saraphi police said that Mr Suraphan Busawan, 40, was found lying dead in his bedroom in Tambon Yang Noeng wearing only shorts. Earlier on Saturday night, Suraphan reportedly drank heavily before going to bed.

Police found no signs of foul play which would suggest he might have been assaulted. Overexposure to cold weather was assumed to be the cause of his death, police added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-men-in-chiang-mai-suspected-to-have-died-from-cold-weather

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-21

The police do a lot of assuming here when it comes to just about any situation they are notified

of and or asked to look at and evaluate.

They seem to justify the old addage concerning those doing the assuming and their eventual assesment by others.

Have you any idea of the conditions in which many Thais live?....or the fact of what one is acclimated to? "Back home" really is irrelevant.

I seriously doubt any of that is relevant. People have been surviving much worse over countless millennia all over the world. No one dies of hypothermia at temps of 15C

Alcohol abuse & resulting ill health was cause of death, more like. It just happened to be a bit "chilly".

Maybe ill health with no connection to alcohol ?

People with health problems sometimes turn to alcohol to numb the pain and suffering.

Whatever. But they were most likely not 100% fit the night they died.

Have you any idea of the conditions in which many Thais live?....or the fact of what one is acclimated to? "Back home" really is irrelevant.

Many of my friends are farmers and I don't live in Pattaya so I know how most or may Thais are living, I have even visit my students home villages up in the mountains, you know when first you take the "pickup bus" for 14 hours and then walk another 2-3 hours...

I live in a house that have wooden walls and floor and a concrete roof it's similar to how most of my friends live... BUT I have AC too.

The problem is the excessive drinking, otherwise a temperature of +15C is not enough to kill only to be unpleasant:

• Alcohol and other drugs – alcohol makes people feel cosy because it relaxes the blood vessels, allowing more blood to flow near the skin, providing a flushed appearance and a warm sensation. This also puts people who are drunk at significant risk of hypothermia if they are outside in cold weather, as this increases the rate of heat loss. It also slows down the metabolism, so slows down internal heat generation. Alcohol also impairs judgement, so the person is less likely to recognize the environment and their own physical condition, and less likely to take protective measures against heat loss. This is also a concern with any other mind-altering substance.

So yes you can get hypothermia if it's +15 degrees but the thing is that in Sweden (where I'm from) that would mean that you could die of hypothermia if you sleep outside during SUMMER in nothing but shorts and with alcohol in your blood but I have never ever heard about anyone dying from hypothermia during summer either in Europe or US...

But hey, we can't blame the alcohol because then most of us here would be in the risk zone...

<p>

Many of my friends are farmers and I don't live in Pattaya so I know how most or may Thais are living, I have even visit my students home villages up in the mountains, you know when first you take the "pickup bus" for 14 hours and then walk another 2-3 hours... I live in a house that have wooden walls and floor and a concrete roof it's similar to how most of my friends live... BUT I have AC too. The problem is the excessive drinking, otherwise a temperature of +15C is not enough to kill only to be unpleasant:
  • Alcohol and other drugs alcohol makes people feel cosy because it relaxes the blood vessels, allowing more blood to flow near the skin, providing a flushed appearance and a warm sensation. This also puts people who are drunk at significant risk of hypothermia if they are outside in cold weather, as this increases the rate of heat loss. It also slows down the metabolism, so slows down internal heat generation. Alcohol also impairs judgement, so the person is less likely to recognize the environment and their own physical condition, and less likely to take protective measures against heat loss. This is also a concern with any other mind-altering substance.So yes you can get hypothermia if it's +15 degrees but the thing is that in Sweden (where I'm from) that would mean that you could die of hypothermia if you sleep outside during SUMMER in nothing but shorts and with alcohol in your blood but I have never ever heard about anyone dying from hypothermia during summer either in Europe or US... But hey, we can't blame the alcohol because then most of us here would be in the risk zone...

Hypothermia occurs when your body loses heat quicker than it produces heat.

Your theory that most people who die from it have problems with alcohol is complete and utter bollokkkks.

Thais are definitely more sensitive to cold than falangs. You only have to look at them on scooters rugged up with thick jackets, while we are motoring along in shirtsleeves.

The other difference is alcohol tolerance. With our higher body mass and genetic inheritance that enables us to detoxify alcohol ( coming from Scandinavian ancestors ), the effects of alcohol are far less detrimental.

This shouldn't be taken as a statement falangs are superior. After all, Thais handle the heat a lot better than most falangs do.

Every year Thais die of hypothermia. The hills get relatively very cold at night/early morning compared to afternoon. I go and give blankets etc to some, as their low income sees their needs for food more important than warm clothes etc for a relatively short time.

Four years ago, when I first became aware of this problem, I approached a Christian group, and a NGO group, doing this work. I was told by the Christians gainfully employed in a nice office, that "Pastor Headhoncho" would be flying into Chiang Mai from the US, and would leave his city hotel to go and present blankets etc to the needy hills people on Christmas Day, (hence show their flock the "true" meaning of Xma?) . Furthermore, I was not allowed to accompany him, but they would accept my donations, then in return I would receive a photo of the pastors presentation.

I got no response to these questions:

What about the suffering from cold these people go through before Xmas?

Who pays for the flight and hotel accommodation for the pastor etc?

Who pays their wages?

Up to you what you think about organised religion and NGOs. But IMHO, the needy are still the needy and should not suffer.

I now, as I did then, go direct to the needy prior to the cold snap, ask and asses what they need, and along with few friends give what we can. I am not religious.

I have been told of many genuine who give 100% donations. "Eyes to Burma", I'm told is one.

Please, all this talk about the cold, alcohol and any other guesswork, is just that.

If you really want the truth go out there and see for yourself.

This applies to all situations. As the saying goes, "If you want meat, then talk to the butcher, and not the block".

Some of you may care, others any not. It up to you

Edited by mankondang

If he died of cold why was he only wearing shorts. Put on a T-shirt, snuggle with your wife.

When I get really, really cold my teeth start to chatter. I just don't see it. Millions of Thais

may believe this, not me. coffee1.gif

BTW, I am from Canada, 14 C is what I leave the temperature of the house at in the winter.

I like it.

<p>

Many of my friends are farmers and I don't live in Pattaya so I know how most or may Thais are living, I have even visit my students home villages up in the mountains, you know when first you take the "pickup bus" for 14 hours and then walk another 2-3 hours... I live in a house that have wooden walls and floor and a concrete roof it's similar to how most of my friends live... BUT I have AC too. The problem is the excessive drinking, otherwise a temperature of +15C is not enough to kill only to be unpleasant:
  • Alcohol and other drugs alcohol makes people feel cosy because it relaxes the blood vessels, allowing more blood to flow near the skin, providing a flushed appearance and a warm sensation. This also puts people who are drunk at significant risk of hypothermia if they are outside in cold weather, as this increases the rate of heat loss. It also slows down the metabolism, so slows down internal heat generation. Alcohol also impairs judgement, so the person is less likely to recognize the environment and their own physical condition, and less likely to take protective measures against heat loss. This is also a concern with any other mind-altering substance.So yes you can get hypothermia if it's +15 degrees but the thing is that in Sweden (where I'm from) that would mean that you could die of hypothermia if you sleep outside during SUMMER in nothing but shorts and with alcohol in your blood but I have never ever heard about anyone dying from hypothermia during summer either in Europe or US... But hey, we can't blame the alcohol because then most of us here would be in the risk zone...

Hypothermia occurs when your body loses heat quicker than it produces heat.

Your theory that most people who die from it have problems with alcohol is complete and utter bollokkkks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia#Alcohol

Dying from cold weather all depends on the core temperature of the body. Most Thai's living on farms and in the hills have very little body fat therefore not able to cope with cold weather.

Drinking will progress the on set of hypothermia as it increases heat loss. Most of the farmers and hill tribes live in what we would call shacks or bamboo huts, no insulation from the cold.

They have little to no body fat and drink it's possible to die in 10+C weather.

I remember a few years ago people in chiangmai were dying from the cold weather they had snow at the time but to die from the cold in your 30s and 40s is unusual hyperthermia usually affects the old and the very young.

I think you will find that hyperthermia is heat related, hypothermia is the one related to cold.

Although older people are more susceptible to it, for obvious reasons, you can die from it at any age.