MSX 125: Practicality / problems?

SooKee

Not seen so much on the forums about these bikes and am interested to hear from any owners about problems or regrets in buying one. Reason I ask is that at the moment we just have a Click that we use for runs around town etc. and I plan to buy a 300-500 in the new year for 'normal' use and longer runs. We have a car too but I'm just not a car person, especially as here I can ride bikes mostly all year without getting frozen to the bone ever. My girlfriend dislikes being a pillion on bikes though (and I've never REALLY liked two-up riding), is not so keen on autos BUT (arrrgh) is quite struck on the MSX 125.

Only thing I'm thinking is that for shopping and pottering around town where carrying stuff might be an issue we have the Click already, which I might even stick a top box on for added carrying capacity. I don't really care how the Click ends up looking, it's a practical errand bike really. Now when I get the 300/500 I'll use that whenever I can and especially for longer runs, say visiting Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai. Much as the MSX125 is OK in a funky kind of way I just can't see it being of much use practically. We don't really need two bikes for pottering round town and, if we come to do a longer run, 2-3 hours, I just don't think the MSX will be up to it. So I'm trying to talk her into either a CBR 150 or even a used CBR 250 which I think she will get much better use of and ultimately enjoy much more. But, at the end of the day, it's her money, her choice. But these MSX are what, 70K plus with a CRB 150 not much more, indeed there's a nice black one on Craiglist, 2013, 60K. CBR250s also not bad price used.

Just in case I can't dissuade her on the practicality front, is there much by way of problems with these that owners have found? Coupled with practicality, mechanical problems might sway her too albeit I think I'm starting to get somewhere now on the aesthetics side, her eyes flickered momentarily as the thought process registered when I said "But honey, you'll look way hotter on a CBR 150/250 than a bleedin' MSX!".

I really can't see these things being practical at all if you already own a 'errand bike' but can see the attraction for what they are. Anyone find they use these bikes for more demanding runs?

Edited by Pick of Penang

I see a lot "blinged up" MSX's around and quite like the look of the bike except for the exhaust pipe that hangs too low...looks likely to be ripped off going over those unmarked and too high speed bumps they insist on inflicting drivers with.

Edited by johng

You say it yourself - funky but not practical.

Why not hire one from Chiang Mai, get it out of your system and after a day of being cramped up on it - give it back and save yourself 60,000k.

BTW kawasaki announced a Z125 a while back, not much difference to the msx mind.

If money not a problem, get a Vespa, see heaps of them in Pattaya and it's mostly Thais riding them.

Also lots of MSX125 around, mostly young Thais that rather ride something that looks cool but likely not a very good ride (never tried one and never will).

Thais are actually very picky about their little scooters and like to show off, look at me, I can afford a +100k baht Vespa despite a pcx150 is a waay better scooter overall.

Well well.

My wife would love to get a Vespa, damn itrolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

I might buy her one when the oil off-shore industry recover, I still has a job but 2016 doesn't look too good so now is not the time spending $$$ if the shit hits the fan.

Edited by guzzi850m2

You say it yourself - funky but not practical.

Why not hire one from Chiang Mai, get it out of your system and after a day of being cramped up on it - give it back and save yourself 60,000k.

BTW kawasaki announced a Z125 a while back, not much difference to the msx mind.

Great idea but it's not me that needs to get it out of my system 55555.

She's coming round now. A black CBR150 / CBR 300 seems to be high on the hire list for her now. But I insisted there must be black leather hot pants, knee high boots and leather jacket to go with it. What she'll wear when she's riding it I've no idea ;) In fact the gear might be one of her Xmas presents (or mine :) ).

Sent using Tapatalk

I have one of those bikes and only kept in a few days( the MSX), the shocks were fine it was good for going over the rough roads. One of the main problems is the gas tank area has no place to clip on a bag so you were forced to wear a backpack to carry anything on the bike. There's a lot of plastic and no anchor points even for a bungee cord. I agree, the CBR 150 would be a lot more fun. Good luck and Merry Christmas

I have one of those bikes and only kept in a few days( the MSX), the shocks were fine it was good for going over the rough roads. One of the main problems is the gas tank area has no place to clip on a bag so you were forced to wear a backpack to carry anything on the bike. There's a lot of plastic and no anchor points even for a bungee cord. I agree, the CBR 150 would be a lot more fun. Good luck and Merry Christmas

I second that.

My GF got a MSX recently and she can't carry anything with her on the bike, plus she's got to wear throusers - it's very impractical.

This bike gets lots of sales just because it looks cool.

My favorite scooter type bike is still the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135.

My point to my girlfriend exactly. At least the regular scoots serve a practical purpose. These, no good for shopping or on a run. And they ain't cheap either. I was shocked to to find they are over 10k more than the top Click.

Sent using Tapatalk

I borrowed a MSX from a friend for 2 days and my take-away was that it's quite a fun ride, looks funky (especially with a big falang on it) but like mentioned it's not very practical and for a tall guy there just isn't enough space for your legs. The tank area is not comfy for your knees. So yea it's a nice toy/commuter for small people who value style more than functionality or comfort.

First I was also drawn to the little machine and was considering buying one. Mostly for the GF to chuck around town. But after riding it we gave up on that idea.

Yah. I'm figuring if it's not a bike that's useful for carrying stuff she will be better off on something that can be used both in town and on longer runs. And as she def wants a full manual I think a CBR or equivalent will prove much more useful. And looks good too :)

Sent using Tapatalk

I had the same issues as you did in that initially the missus just wanted mopeds

I eventually talked her round to have a test ride on a Ninja 250 bought that then an R3 and now there will never be another moped as she is well and truly converted plus for shopping their is always a daysack, or dare I say it the truck once a week to Makro...

If she is anything like my missus was she just had the impression that larger geared bikes are too complicated and once you show that aint so they never look back

I second that.

My GF got a MSX recently and she can't carry anything with her on the bike, plus she's got to wear throusers - it's very impractical.

This bike gets lots of sales just because it looks cool.

My favorite scooter type bike is still the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135.

PCX....

post-95864-0-50188000-1450781953_thumb.j

My wife (Thai) was tired of automatics, so we started looking at these bikes, and other similar ones. She has had the MSX for 3 days and absolutely loves it. It takes her where she wants to go, and she is loving the control and fun of shifting gears. The mileage is huge as well.

The Kaw didn't excite her. She finally committed to the MSX mostly because of Honda's reputation and the aftermarket availability of custom add ons. Everything from dual exhaust options, big bore kit, huge customizability.

I had ZERO luck pushing her towards a small cc'd 'sport bike', or the smaller, upright cruisers They were just too heavy for her, and she was not interested.

A backpack when needed for toting stuff, and otherwise she is loving the MSX. We are happy with the build quality, fit and finish, and my research indicated that Honda didn't really 'cheapen' the build for a small market. The parts are mostly of the same hi quality that Honda is known for. Sort of a big bike design shrunk down to mini size.

Just wanted to give a differing opinion here.

Michael

Edited by Dynalmadman

Yah. Thanks. In fairness if we hadn't got biking days and long 2-4 hour runs to wherever I wouldn't be trying to put her off. For town use and a general runabout that's at least a bit different to the auto scoots the MSX would likely my top choice, or maybe the Kawa.

Problem is I will be picking up a CB#00 and will be planning to use it a lot. Round town and on the runs. That's the only part where the MSX falls down. Wouldn't want to do 3 hours on one any more than I'd want to do three hours on my Click.

Nice enough though the Click is, it's a utility bike for me, hence opting for the floorboard design over say a more stable Nouvo. I wouldn't go far on a Nouvo either so I see no point giving up the carriage capacity for extra stability for the 30-40 kph runs to the 7 that I do on it. But I never think, hey it's a great day, let's take the Click for a spin. That's why I'm going for a CB. So it's a non auto for longer runs that makes more sense to me rather than another town run about be it Click, Nouvo, PCX or MSX. Just don't see the point in another town bike. And like I say MSX I think is almost same price as a CB 150.

Sent using Tapatalk

Edited by Pick of Penang