Phuket motorbike rental operator posts 30k baht reward for Ukrainian man's arrest

webfact

Phuket motorbike rental operator posts 30k baht reward for Ukrainian man's arrest
Phuket Gazette

uk.jpeg
Ukrainian national Ivan Tretiak is wanted for defalcation. Photo: passport

PHUKET: -- The owner of a Phuket bike rental shop put up a 30,000-baht reward on December 18 for any information leading to the return of a stolen bike.

Chalong Police secured an arrest warrant for Ukrainian national Ivan Tretiak, 25, two days prior to the posted reward.

“Mr Tretiak is wanted for defalcation. I am currently working on two separate cases involving the suspect and believe that he is involved in more,” Maj Thada Sodarak of the Chalong Police told the Phuket Gazette this morning. “It is not an easy case at this point, because we don’t even know if he is still in Phuket.”

Mr Tretiak allegedly made off with one of Anyaphach Karaya’s Honda PCX motorbikes, valued at about 68,000 baht, which was supposed to have been returned on November 23. Since then, Mr Anyaphach has been unable to contact Mr Tretiak by the telephone number provided.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-motorbike-rental-operator-posts-30k-baht/62688?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-21

Suffer a-holes motorbike rentals screwing tourists charging exorbitant fees and confiscating passports; how does it feel you can't beat those Eastern Europeans, they know when an easy buck is to be made. Now you know how foreigners feel when you fleece them.

Not the first time I see a "wanted" poster for a person stealing a rented bike.

And that was at the entrance door of a shop I walked by (in Pattaya).

And the passport also had this "strange script" whistling.gif

Must be a "cultural thing".

And exactly such crooks are a reason for some renters to be over cautious/distrustful.

Suffer a-holes motorbike rentals screwing tourists charging exorbitant fees and confiscating passports; how does it feel you can't beat those Eastern Europeans, they know when an easy buck is to be made. Now you know how foreigners feel when you fleece them.

Exorbitant fees, really, confiscating passports really, when a copy is fine,, Only a STUPID person would give the original passport...

I thought it's illegal to take the Passport as a deposit... ? So it can't be illegal to leave a fake one, hmmm ?

Did you ever think that it could be a copy ! Same as the banks, hotels, immigration, etc etc ; copies your passport !! hmmm ?

That's a bit rich isn't it ..

Looks like the guy has taken a photocopy of the guys passport, possibly taken a small ( worthless ) deposit and the tourist has either stolen it or written it off .. Whatever, he's down a bike.

Don't you have reputable bike hire shops in Phuket ?

Insured more than likely..

99% of hire motorcycles are not insured. They should have the Government annual insurance which they get with the road tax but hay this is

Phuket and normal rules go out the window.

I see the PCX only cost 68,000 baht, so a bargain, I had to pay 71,000 in Udon Thani

Edited by seedy
language

DEFALCATION is an outdated term that describes a special type of felony, usually found in accounting and decidedly white-collar. MISAPPROPRIATION would be a substitute. You will notice that this refers to amounts of money and is inappropriate for somebody making off with a rented bike. Here, we are talking about THEFT, quite ordinary

Insured more than likely..

99% of hire motorcycles are not insured. They should have the Government annual insurance which they get with the road tax but hay this is

Phuket and normal rules go out the window.

I see the PCX only cost 68,000 baht, so a bargain, I had to pay 71,000 in Udon Thani

68,000 for the bike plus you have to pay for licence and insurance when you by, so 71,000 is about wright.

Trust the Thais to come up with a word that doesn't do what they intend it should. Defalcation refers to the embezzlement of money,

Embezzlement of money, Embezzlement of a motor-bike, what's the difference ?

The alleged "rewarder" got Embezzled cheesy.gif

Why not just call it theft. He did not return bike on the due date, he has no title to the bike. It's theft.