Thai Immigration nab 110 foreigners in overstay, criminal cases

webfact

Police nab 110 foreigners in overstay, criminal cases
The Nation

30275394-01_big.JPG?1450733202041

BANGKOK: -- THE Immigration Police Bureau yesterday announced cases of foreigners caught for overstaying their visas and committing crimes.

So far, 108 foreigners have been rounded up for overstay after authorities decided to conduct regular checks on foreign visitors from 19 to 25 of every month. Those caught so far are eight Somalis, three from Papua New Guinea, three Nigerians, a Mali national, a Liberian, 50 Pakistanis, 15 Indians, a Sri Lankan, a Bangladeshi, three Vietnamese and 22 other nationals.

Immigration Bureau chief Pol Lt-General Natthorn Praosunthorn said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had issued an order banning those who overstay for more than a year from entering the country for three years. If they overstay their visa for three years, they will be banned for five years, while a five-year overstay carries a ban of 10 years.

The order, announced in the Royal Gazette, will go into effect in March.

Visitors whose visas have expired are encouraged to turn themselves in or they will face heavy penalties when caught. Natthorn said the crackdown was part of a move to boost security in the country as many foreigners who overstay their visas are involved in crimes.

Separately, a French man was arrested and charged with attempted murder, detention and robbery, police said yesterday. Kraiba Safy, 26, was arrested on December 11 in Bangkok's Bang Rak district. It has been alleged that Safy and two other men had been trafficking drugs in France, and had fled to Spain and Thailand after getting into conflicts. French police nabbed two suspects in Rayong, who then implicated Safy as being the mastermind.

In a second case, American boxer Malik Naeem Watson-Smith, 23, who once fought Thai boxer "Bua Kao", was caught on December 14 in Chon Buri for overstaying his visa. He had earlier been charged with assault and was granted bail on May 19, 2010, under condition that he could not leave the country without court permission.

Eveniy Gubarev, 37, a Russian national, was arrested on December 17 for overstaying, and is also wanted on charges of fraud and laundering money.

An unnamed 47-year-old Belgian was arrested on December 20 for overstaying by 305 days. He arrived on January 20 and was allowed to stay until February 18.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-nab-110-foreigners-in-overstay-criminal-cas-30275394.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-22

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a second case, American boxer Malik Naeem Watson-Smith, 23, who once fought Thai boxer "Bua Kao", was caught on December 14 in Chon Buri for overstaying his visa. He had earlier been charged with assault and was granted bail on May 19, 2010, under condition that he could not leave the country without court permission.

UHH, What am I missing in this article??

Well there certainly is NOT 108 people in that photo.

I see 11 people (not including those standing who are clearly immigration officials) and 10 of those are black or dark skinned. Does that not seem odd to anyone ? May I suggest more than a little racial profiling going on here.

I wonder if Ubon Joe can educate us on the type of extension one can get for pending court case.

Interesting nationalities there and seems many peoples concerns on "who" is overstaying and " who" the main suspect nationalities are appear to be correct...........50 Pakistanis......Im imagining how many made it into the UK over the years and still reside there now bleeding the UK benefits system.

They are visiting schools. They came yesterday to our school in samut praksn. If you don't have proper documentation to teach beware.they caught one teacher from USA with no work permit. He was teaching with a tourist visa

God help your students.

They are visiting schools. They came yesterday to our school in samut praksn. If you don't have proper documentation to teach beware.they caught one teacher from USA with no work permit. He was teaching with a tourist pvisa

God help your students.

+1 ?

'Police do their job and arrest some criminals'.

Ok great. Debatable if it should be news but whatever.

Now though, why always the grandiose announcements and emphasis on them being foreigners that were in the country too long?

Perhaps because as the NYTimes reported, crime has actually risen under the Junta, and they'd rather shift the blame to outsiders?

They are visiting schools. They came yesterday to our school in samut praksn. If you don't have proper documentation to teach beware.they caught one teacher from USA with no work permit. He was teaching with a tourist visa

Tell me why the school where you teach; hired someone without a work permit. OR why they did not help him get one, when they hired him ???

I see 11 people (not including those standing who are clearly immigration officials) and 10 of those are black or dark skinned. Does that not seem odd to anyone ? May I suggest more than a little racial profiling going on here.

Who says all 108 are supposed to be in the same photo? As to skin color: the article does not state where the other "nationals" are from.

In the Thai immigration defense I must say that this is only the very tip of the iceberg... there're many

thousands more like them lurking around unlawfully, and those over stayers are not exactly

up standing foreigners contributing to the Thai economy or society... They're only here to take, not to give...

The police came to our village two days ago and took photo copies of each foreigner's passport with the main page and the visa page plus the stamp. Was all arranged by our Kamnan as the PYB passed away two months ago. The Kamnan who is in charge of all 16 villages has been asked to gather all those details of all foreigners.

Interesting nationalities there and seems many peoples concerns on "who" is overstaying and " who" the main suspect nationalities are appear to be correct...........50 Pakistanis......Im imagining how many made it into the UK over the years and still reside there now bleeding the UK benefits system.

Perhaps you are thinking that the population of overstayers was randomly arrested?

Tell me why the school where you teach; hired someone without a work permit. OR why they did not help him get one, when they hired him ???

In bang bo, samut prakan. i prefer not to say the name of the school. But our school always provide work permits and visas for the teachers. the american guy was just a new teacher.

Perhaps you are thinking that the population of overstayers was randomly arrested?

is that because you are part of the immigration workforce and know differently?

Who says all 108 are supposed to be in the same photo? As to skin color: the article does not state where the other "nationals" are from.

With 50 Pakistanis in the list it doesnt take genius to work out the percenatges

The police came to our village two days ago and took photo copies of each foreigner's passport with the main page and the visa page plus the stamp. Was all arranged by our Kamnan as the PYB passed away two months ago. The Kamnan who is in charge of all 16 villages has been asked to gather all those details of all foreigners.

They visited each individual residence? Or did they stop people at the market? Where is this village?

Thailand really needs to wake up to the huge contribution that immigrants, illegal or otherwise can make to society and the economy. Our wise leaders in the West have already told us this and judging by the above A typical photo I am sure they must be correct !!!

'Police do their job and arrest some criminals'.

Ok great. Debatable if it should be news but whatever.

Now though, why always the grandiose announcements and emphasis on them being foreigners that were in the country too long?

Perhaps because as the NYTimes reported, crime has actually risen under the Junta, and they'd rather shift the blame to outsiders?

"Now though, why always the grandiose announcements ..."

Obviously "grandiose" means different things to different people. One might also ask why TV chooses to publish certain news items and not others. Since so many people on TV claim to be here on TV, I suppose the fact that over-stayers are being arrested would be of interest., although more generally it seems the choice of which items to post has more to do with stirring the pot and increasing clicks.

I guess there's always a danger in assuming something that appears in print must be 100% accurate.

According to “Thai Economy and Spirits are Sagging” by regional correspondent Thomas Fuller, “[r]obberies and other property crimes have risen more than 60 percent this year.”

Crime statistics from the Royal Thai Police show a statistically negligible increase of 1.9 percent, with 920 additional crimes reported during the same period after a general decline since 2009.
The article, which painted a dire picture of Thailand’s economic prospects, did not include any attribution for the figure or conclusion. Reached for comment, Fuller said it was based on a November news conference at which police spokesman Dechnarong Suticharnbancha said 75,557 property-related crimes were reported in the fiscal year from Oct. 1, 2014 to Sept. 30, 2015.
The actual crime statistics collected by the Royal Thai Police indicate otherwise, with only 48,657 reports of property-related crimes during the same period. Such crimes include theft, robbery and extortion.

Well, I can't complain about it. But there are just too many places to hide here.

Now i wonder how many of them are using the same degree papers,my guess 60% without a doubt especially in the south.its big business for the printers north and south,wont be long before that one comes to light.30000 bk a shot,all have big benz cars +.land of smiles.

Has it ever struck you as odd that in a country as large as Thailand, immigration finding and processing the overstay of foreigners is a headline in a national newspaper.

If you read national newspapers of most countries this type of day to day activity by immigration is never reported unless it is a significantly large number of people or if the people involved are committing some type of active crime (as opposed to a passive crime such as overstaying).

I wonder if Ubon Joe can educate us on the type of extension one can get for pending court case.

Apparently there is one if you are imprisoned, about the court case i don't know but i assume if he had made the effort and spoken to immigration something would have been done.

Archived