Red Wine Box recommendation from Rimping

MESmith

Why does Montclair always get such a bad rap on here. "Oh its so bad....drink this one or that one, its much better...". Mostly they arent much better, and in fact its the perception that they are that makes some of you feel better.

In fact, theyre all crap, they are what they are, 5 litres or so of plonk that comes in at about 200 baht a litre, well, put simply, you dont get decent wine for 200 baht a litre, whether its Montclair, Berri, Bodegas or whatever.

I love good wine and keep a couple of dozen really good bottles all the time for nice restaurants, dinner parties etc, but if youre watching a movie with a glass or two of plonk and some cheese, I find Montclair perfectly drinkable in those circumstances!!....and yes, I do have my taste buds intact, and yes, I do like good wine too !!

Fruit wines are not fruit-diluted, which implies that fruit juice is added to wine.

That's not how fruit wine works!

Winnie you know it's added for tax purposes

Yes, along with the grape mush/juice, PRIOR to fermentation. So no 'diluting' of any kind takes place.

What happens is you take grape (a fruit) and mix the legally required percentage of roselle juice to qualify, and then you go through the regular fermentation and 'aging' process, like with any other cheap wine.

The result does not taste different or worse from cheap wine that's from 100% crappy grapes, and it's also not diluted in that sense.

Fruit wines are not fruit-diluted, which implies that fruit juice is added to wine.

Yes, along with the grape mush/juice, PRIOR to fermentation. So no 'diluting' of any kind takes place.

What happens is you take grape (a fruit) and mix the legally required percentage of roselle juice to qualify, and then you go through the regular fermentation and 'aging' process, like with any other cheap wine.

The result does not taste different or worse from cheap wine that's from 100% crappy grapes, and it's also not diluted in that sense.

I heard differently? (but i maybe wrong) they import wines from France etc in huge vats then add fruit juice for tax purpose blending LONG after the process you outline - then bottle

Why does Montclair always get such a bad rap on here. "Oh its so bad....drink this one or that one, its much better...". Mostly they arent much better, and in fact its the perception that they are that makes some of you feel better.

In fact, theyre all crap, they are what they are, 5 litres or so of plonk that comes in at about 200 baht a litre, well, put simply, you dont get decent wine for 200 baht a litre, whether its Montclair, Berri, Bodegas or whatever.

I love good wine and keep a couple of dozen really good bottles all the time for nice restaurants, dinner parties etc, but if youre watching a movie with a glass or two of plonk and some cheese, I find Montclair perfectly drinkable in those circumstances!!....and yes, I do have my taste buds intact, and yes, I do like good wine too !!

it's crap and that's why it's so much cheaper and sold in larger boxes

best of the bunch is Mar Sol worst is Mont Clare and Bodegas, Berri + Vella are all terrible only slightly ahead of Mont Clare

I tried a box of Mar Sol. Then I tried, unsuccessfully, to give it away. No one would have it - not even a Peter Vella drinker.

Different preferences. Probably why they make so many different kinds. Ya think? TG's will usually prefer MC to a 700 baht/bottle wine.

There are some good wines being sold in boxes but not in LOS. I think boxes are the future for many reasons. But I know some people still

think corks are better that screw caps.

it's crap and that's why it's so much cheaper and sold in larger boxes

Logical more than primary.
Montclair is less expensive because it comes in wort before fermentation to alleviate duties.
Personally I think it is the best ordinary wine after red Peter Vella but for Christmas we should perhaps consider breaking the piggy bank for a few good bottles. drunk.gif

best of the bunch is Mar Sol worst is Mont Clare and Bodegas, Berri + Vella are all terrible only slightly ahead of Mont Clare

I tried a box of Mar Sol. Then I tried, unsuccessfully, to give it away. No one would have it - not even a Peter Vella drinker.

Different preferences. Probably why they make so many different kinds. Ya think? TG's will usually prefer MC to a 700 baht/bottle wine.

There are some good wines being sold in boxes but not in LOS. I think boxes are the future for many reasons. But I know some people still

think corks are better that screw caps.

well... anyway let's all agree boxed wine is pretty much rubbish here because they mix fruit juice in. I'll stick with Mar Sol for everyday drinking and notice many wine bars here do the same. I'd love to find a better box than all those we have mentioned so if one is found by anybody let us know!

Is that what happens here ?? I was lead to understand the orange tax label meant it was both fruit mix and bottled (or boxed) in Thailand..

So if they are bottling it here, surely they are not starting with pre fermented 'wine' but with post fermented bulk import ??

I like the Mar Y Sol white: quite drinkable. The red, I find a little sweet and prefer the 'Spanish Style' Fina de Malpaca. There is also a fairly drinkable 'proper' French red wine in a 3 litre box which is not bad. The boxed wines range from the appalling to the quite passable. What was the very first one that came to Thailand? I think it was American. At the time it was a revolutionary development in the Thailand wine drinking experience, then when Mont Clair came along we realised quite how bad that original box was, now there are better wines than Mont Clair. At least progress is being made!

I like the Mar Y Sol white: quite drinkable. The red, I find a little sweet and prefer the 'Spanish Style' Fina de Malpaca. There is also a fairly drinkable 'proper' French red wine in a 3 litre box which is not bad. The boxed wines range from the appalling to the quite passable...

This one ?

post-234089-0-15475700-1450858255_thumb.

I like the Mar Y Sol white: quite drinkable. The red, I find a little sweet and prefer the 'Spanish Style' Fina de Malpaca. There is also a fairly drinkable 'proper' French red wine in a 3 litre box which is not bad. The boxed wines range from the appalling to the quite passable...

This one ?

oh that's new on me... price? where to get it? also I was in Rimping and saw a box of 'Camden' i think it was called? didn't have time to pick up a box but will next time

This one ?

oh that's new on me... price? where to get it? also I was in Rimping and saw a box of 'Camden' i think it was called? didn't have time to pick up a box but will next time

WARNING WARNING WARNING !!! Seriously please dont anyone buy the one called Camden Park.....Of all the wineboxes currently available this one is far and away the most disgusting.....actually it doesnt even taste like wine at all, trying to think of a comparable thing it tastes like, all I can come up with is the blackcurrant kids drink called Ribena, it kind of tastes like a sour version of that, I bought a bottle to try it, took one sip and poured the bottle away. A friend bought five litre box. He took one sip and poured the whole box away, it really is that bad.....suppose its kind of like that terrible drink called "Spy" so beloved of Thai bargirls in the past.

This one ?

Red or pink, sold 800b 3 liters at Rimping and now also at Makro pretty nearly the same price.
South West wine of France (Languedoc) not worth Bordeaux, Bourgogne or even the Beaujolais but it is a true terroir wine to a higher level that without denomination label.
Merry Christmas ! smile.png

Thanks for the replies. Bought a box of Robertson Winery (South Africa) red from Rimping this afternoon. Reason why? I guessed 3 litre box at same price as 4 or 5 should be better, get what you pay for etc. Saw the Mar Y Sol at Makro for 749 bt. Nearly bought it, but opinion here on TV was 1-1 at the time. Quite a bit more at Rimping. Verdict on the Robertson. It's okay, from 1st glass with a Thai veggie red curry (not too spicy).

Cheers smile.png

This one ?

I was thinking about buying this the other day. Any reviews yet? I saw it at Tesco and Makro.

"South West wine of France (Languedoc) not worth Bordeaux, Bourgogne or even the Beaujolais but it is a true terroir wine to a higher level that without denomination label."

Tranlsation please?

Next time I'll write like kindergarten children for you to understand, huh.

Oh, Lanna Guy, youre such an expert, to be able to be so definitive about whats best and worst in the field of crap boxed wines, I take it your taste buds dried up some time ago?

Montclair is by no means the worst, they are all pretty poor by the standards of, well, proper bottled wines. You should try them sometime!

Oh, Lanna Guy, youre such an expert, to be able to be so definitive about whats best and worst in the field of crap boxed wines, I take it your taste buds dried up some time ago?

Montclair is by no means the worst, they are all pretty poor by the standards of, well, proper bottled wines. You should try them sometime!

enjoy the Mont Clair if you like it - give us your 'expertise' on which is the worst? come on you said it "Mont Clair is by no means the worst" so what is? and what is the best? I was only giving my opinion now YOU give yours

BTW I drink bottled wine constantly but this thread is about BOXED WINE? now enough personal attack (I didn't deserve it) give us your OPINION as a 'Mont Clair' fan giggle.gif

Archived