Best internet connection inside Maharaj hospital

malofa

Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital (Suan Dok Hospital) offer Free WiFi Internet on some of the floors. Just ask a nurse. Just know it is a censored connection (some domain names are blocked). It is a government teaching hospital.

Otherwise there are a few local private and public WiFi HotSpot providers you can obtain an inexpensive subscription through. Which one works depends on where the room is located.

I lived in the hospital on/off a few weeks at a time last year when a friend went in for surgeries. We used the hospital provided WiFi service and an inexpensive/slow 79 baht/week TrueMove H 3G Internet tethered connection (see the ROTATING AD Promotion on their 3G Internet Package page) Worked out fine for us.

Many of the little shops and restaurants on the campus, but not actually in the main buildings have WIFI. In general, you're not going to have wifi in the ward rooms at Maharaj the way you do at private hospitals. I have one of those 3G internet dongle thingies that I use with my computer when I'm seeing people at Suan Dok and either helping them to get caught up on their emails or using the internet for my own purposes.

In the long-run, I find it cheaper and more pleasant to use my laptop with the 3G dongle in the employee lunchroom over the emergency room and enjoy their cheap, but good, gov't subsidized food, rather than going to a crowded, expensive coffee shop just outside the hospital simply because it has free wifi.

Many of the little shops and restaurants on the campus, but not actually in the main buildings have WIFI. In general, you're not going to have wifi in the ward rooms at Maharaj the way you do at private hospitals.

The hospital offered it to us probably because we were booked into one of the semi-private rooms, where you pay extra for the opportunity to have family do the common nursing duties.

Depending on which floor we were assigned, which exasperatingly seems to change every time a different procedure was performed, the nursing staff would either say the hospital "had no public accessible WiFi", or asked us to provide National ID and hospital booking info and then a bit later delivered the info needed to complete the WiFi login. No cost. The nurse in charge of running the system indicated she was lobbying to have the system switched to a pay service and opened up to more patients.

I didn't feel comfortable asking for it in the ward rooms. But the semi-private rooms were not an issue.

The connection was fine for streaming the digital Thai TV channels using the PSI Channel app (the hospital TV only had 3 stations), and using it for youtube and google email ...but oddly enough the firewall wouldn't let me have assess to Wikipedia, or any medical websites. Also, this WiFi access point was not available on the lower floors, ground floors, or outside.

At the time we had a much better deal through 7/11 offer for TrueMove H 3G 512 kbps unlimited Internet, tethered to a laptop and an iPad.