4wd With Real Diff Lock

svenivan

The other day i slided down in a ditch on a very, very wet and muddy dirtroad. The ditch was deep, 60 cm and I was totally stuck.

All the weight on on side and hanging with the 2 right wheels over the road. With gear in 4 low nothing happened. The right wheels were spinning and no power to the left wheels.

With a real diff Lock I would have had a little better chance to get out there.

I have a almost 3 year old Toyota Hilux Tiger 4WD 3.0 manual.

Is it possible to install real Diff Lock?

I have to go this road many times every week and I don't want to get stuck again.

Chev told me that a locking diff in 4WD is not available, but then again it had just been introduced and I am not sure if he really know.

From looking inside the Chev 2WD locking diff it should be possible to build a hybrid if you are up to it. Will only work at very slow speeds and the advantage of a LSD at higher speeds is lost.

There are aftermarket locking diffs for both axles on the market if you chose to go that way. Beware that it will steer like the Queen Mary, but unstoppable.

robert

My 2002 4X4 Tiger has a limited slip differential so that is available. As far as the true differential lock the only one I am sure that has it available is Chevrolet.

The other day i slided down in a ditch on a very, very wet and muddy dirtroad. The ditch was deep, 60 cm and I was totally stuck.

All the weight on on side and hanging with the 2 right wheels over the road. With gear in 4 low nothing happened. The right wheels were spinning and no power to the left wheels.

With a real diff Lock I would have had a little better chance to get out there.

I have a almost 3 year old Toyota Hilux Tiger 4WD 3.0 manual.

Is it possible to install real Diff Lock?

I have to go this road many times every week and I don't want to get stuck again.

Did you try hitting the accelerator and braking at the same time?

If your car has a Torsen LSD, it works fine as long as both wheels have any grip at all. It fails as soon as one wheel is in the air, but you can "simulate" grip by applying the brakes. I would really like to know how well that works in a real-life situation, but that's what the Hummer User's Manual says to do (as Hummers don't have diff lock).

I have the brochure for the Chevy Colorado and it lists the locking differential as well as the limited slip as options for the 4X4. I was surprised that the two wheel drive does not offer a limited slip at all but the locking differential is available as an option.

Chev told me that a locking diff in 4WD is not available, but then again it had just been introduced and I am not sure if he really know.

From looking inside the Chev 2WD locking diff it should be possible to build a hybrid if you are up to it. Will only work at very slow speeds and the advantage of a LSD at higher speeds is lost.

There are aftermarket locking diffs for both axles on the market if you chose to go that way. Beware that it will steer like the Queen Mary, but unstoppable.

robert

My 2002 4X4 Tiger has a limited slip differential so that is available. As far as the true differential lock the only one I am sure that has it available is Chevrolet.

If your car has a Torsen LSD, it works fine as long as both wheels have any grip at all. It fails as soon as one wheel is in the air, but you can "simulate" grip by applying the brakes. I would really like to know how well that works in a real-life situation, but that's what the Hummer User's Manual says to do (as Hummers don't have diff lock).

Thanks for the advice. I will try that if it happens again (hopefully not!)

Unfortunately the front brakes will hold you back more than you will gain with the additional traction. The suggestion is partially correct but you must use the hand brake to get the benefit of gaining traction. The hand brake will stop the slipping wheel from turning freely and will transfer some power to the wheel that does have some grip. The above only applies to the two wheel drive. It is correct that the brakes will transfer power to the wheels that have some grip on a 4X4. If you have a automatic transmission it is easy to do but a manual transmission is a little more tricky. :o

Thanks for the advice. I will try that if it happens again (hopefully not!)

Edited by Gary A