Microphone headset for speech recognition

peterdwje2

You might not like to hear this, however I have been using voice recognition software for over 15 years (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) and the quality of the microphone headset is of paramount importance if you don't want to get totally frustrated with the process......so cheap ones are a false economy.

From a personal perspective I do not like the earphones with a large earmuffs on because if you are using speech/voice recognition for a long period of time, then they become uncomfortable and hot, and anyway I find it is best to use the microphone option on these only and allow any speech feedback to come via the computer's own speakers (not that there is much feedback this way because it is mainly the microphone connection which is used, in my experience).

I have thrown away no end of cheap microphone headsets because they just don't do the job although initially they seem to, they do not last any time at all and as soon as they start to deteriorate then mistakes happen in the recognition of your speech.

Also be aware of the headsets which Include a volume control mechanism in them, because that is just one other thing to go wrong and after a while, the contacts within them can become oxidised and reduce the efficiency/effectiveness of them.

There are some good sets around and Sennheiser is one make which is well respected and they also make a microphone headset with just one earpiece, making the wearing of them very comfortable and leaving one ear "free" so to speak (sorry about the pun).

Believe me, a good microphone headset is a must if you are not going to become totally frustrated with your voice recognition experience.

I use Dragon dictation software. It can be very fussy about the microphone input.

Most of the microphones sold here are absolute junk and just not up to the job. I found that upgrading the soundcard is a much more effective way of improving the sound quality.

I use a cheapish microphone (Philips) with a USB soundcard (Creative about 650Bht). Works perfectly on my laptop and PC.

I use Dragon dictation software. It can be very fussy about the microphone input.

Most of the microphones sold here are absolute junk and just not up to the job. I found that upgrading the soundcard is a much more effective way of improving the sound quality.

I use a cheapish microphone (Philips) with a USB soundcard (Creative about 650Bht). Works perfectly on my laptop and PC.

That's interesting.............. I did have the Sennheiser headset for quite a few years and unfortunately it got broken in a move and I haven't been able to find one locally, however I'm going back to NZ for a holiday shortly and I will endeavour to get another set there.

I did buy a little Philips Microphone headset which clips over the ear, however either my ears are deformed or I just haven't got the hang of using it, because it just will not stay put!!! so as I said above, probably going to look for a Sennheiser in NZ.

Interestingly re your comment about a new sound card – – how does one go about that? And as for the USB connection, I've often wondered if Dragon will work should I find a headset which has a USB connection?

Your “Philips microphone headset” sounds remarkably similar to the one I bought and, like you, I couldn’t cope with having it stuck in my ear!

So I threaded the microphone and cable through a piece of PVC tubing and made a microphone boom which I can pull out to just to the side of my mouth (the ideal position for Dragon dictation) and push back to the wall when not in use.

You can get PCMCIA soundcards fairly easily USB ones are more portable. I’ve been trying to get another Creative USB one some months but without success.

Have a look on invade it website although there is also to be rather upmarket for gamers.

Banana It usually have something in stock.

Beware the very cheap (around 200 Bht) Chinese ones as they don’t work!

post-13487-0-19608500-1450857914_thumb.j

post-13487-0-95225400-1450857928_thumb.j

Edited by mrjohn