EU teams will check 101 locations for labour abuses in fisheries sector, Thai govt warns

webfact

"He lamented that some media outlets had inaccurately portrayed Thailand as exploiting modern-day slaves as well as child labourers. "It's so unfair," he said.

In regard to children seen peeling shrimp in the seafood industry, Jumpol explained that it was common in Thai culture for some children to work to earn extra cash for their families."

Somehow I don't think arguing child labour is traditional is going to be an argument the EU accepts.

Depends on the age, when I was around 14-15 I had Saturday jobs and in the holiday I worked in the tulips making some extra cash. This was 26 years ago (of course I did not work fulltime that would have been child labor). But making a bit of extra cash is not a bad thing.

I do think here its about child labor and not the occasional day working. Besides the EU sets the rules and they don't care about the Asian culture excuse.

It's more than just age.

You were not forced or deceived into working. I'm sure you also had your parents permission who were no doubt fully aware that you would be working in a safe environment. You did not work all day and into the night. You were not forced to live in the fields. And mostly importantly, you were free to quit at any time without punishment or penalty.

"He lamented that some media outlets had inaccurately portrayed Thailand as exploiting modern-day slaves as well as child labourers. "It's so unfair," he said.

In regard to children seen peeling shrimp in the seafood industry, Jumpol explained that it was common in Thai culture for some children to work to earn extra cash for their families."

Somehow I don't think arguing child labour is traditional is going to be an argument the EU accepts.

Depends on the age, when I was around 14-15 I had Saturday jobs and in the holiday I worked in the tulips making some extra cash. This was 26 years ago (of course I did not work fulltime that would have been child labor). But making a bit of extra cash is not a bad thing.

I do think here its about child labor and not the occasional day working. Besides the EU sets the rules and they don't care about the Asian culture excuse.

It's more than just age.

You were not forced or deceived into working. I'm sure you also had your parents permission who were no doubt fully aware that you would be working in a safe environment. You did not work all day and into the night. You were not forced to live in the fields. And mostly importantly, you were free to quit at any time without punishment or penalty.

Absolutely, and you can add to that excellent list:-

You were not cheated out of all your pay when the employer simply withheld your wages with nothing but a snarl and a rap to your skull in the way of explanation.

If in the unlikely situation, you were exploited, you had the option of a myriad of agencies to appeal to, who would assist you.

"It's a culture, as much as the fact that parents in Europe usually send their children to KFC and McDonalds outlets to train them about work," he said"

No they don't.

He should learn about other cultures too. So, he thinks it's ok to take advantage of people, and use culture as an excuse!? That's the problem~it's cultural, so they should understand...

I don't know anyone who took there kids anywhere to train them about work because it's an insurance liability, and they could probably be fined as well.

OK, maybe a farm

"It's a culture, as much as the fact that parents in Europe usually send their children to KFC and McDonalds outlets to train them about work, " he said. cheesy.gif

Must be the most bizarre denial attempt to cover up modern slavery ever! This country is like a never ending Monty Python movie.

What more can you expect coming from an admiral ?