German speaking

klause

Hallo ;

in which area of Thailand there are more German speaking ( German;austrian; swiss ) visitors or expats more than other nations?(i do not mean sex tourists in pattaya ) i mean normal people man and woman ; pairs ;singles etc. ?

just example as i do a wild guess : in pattaya more british and us people

in samui more scandinavic and aussie people like that ...

now : whwre prefer to live or visit the german speaking people in thailand most ? any idea maybe?

Thanks

klaus

There is/was a village near the cambodian border east of Surin that had a very high percentage of villagers married to german/austrian/swiss. I remember reading a Bangkok post supplement many years ago that claimed every family in the village had a member married to someone from those countries.

In absolute numbers there is no doubt that Pattaya is leading.

Naklua is still a German stronghold although its on the decline/expulsion.

Countless meeting points with bars/restaurants in Soi 33, 31, 18/1, 18 and down to Soi 12.

German food, football etc. pp.

Meeting points: does not mean they all live in the area but are scattered over Naklua, Eastside and Jomtien.

But really not so many couples or younger people, mostly pensioners.

And did you read where they met their husbands boyfriends ? Want to take a guess ?

There is/was a village near the cambodian border east of Surin that had a very high percentage of villagers married to german/austrian/swiss. I remember reading a Bangkok post supplement many years ago that claimed every family in the village had a member married to someone from those countries.

I think a lot of Germans like Khao Lak.

Having lived in KL I can second GOM's comment. But KL's population overall is minuscule, so that's not a lot of Germans in absolute numbers.

I agree, most of the year Khao Lak is pretty quiet. Did my best business there Christmas-end of February and then whoooosh, everybody gone.

Can't tell if the poster is after meeting with a lot of German speakers (partytime?), which I think other posters have mentioned would be parts of Pattaya, or just a few Germans whilst balancing that with a very nice part of Thailand which is Khao Lak. Unclear.

Just to be complete: of course there other places where German (speaking) expats are living e.g. in Isan.

But quite scattered and by no means in the number range of Pattaya.

"Expats": I assume the OP referred to those living on a long time basis not holiday makers.

Udon Thani has well established German restaurants, bakers, butchers.

In Khon Kaen there was (is?) a German speaking regulars' table ("Stammtisch").

Language barriers might arise as some German speakers use heavy accents tongue.png (Bavarian, Austrian, Swiss German).

Edited by KhunBENQ