Luggage transfer from internal flight to international flight

piersbeckett

I'm hoping another member might advise me; when travelling from Phuket (Thai Airways) to BKK and on to London UK (British Airways) with a three hour wait at BKK; does luggage get transferred to London flight or does one have to collect it and check it in to the on-going flight?

If you get the boarding pass for the BA flight upon check in at the Thai Domestic Flight then the baggage will be automatically transferred, if you don't get the BA boarding pass, then you have to get your luggage when you land then you have to go and check in for the BA flight separately

Edited by MJCM

If you get the boarding pass for the BA flight upon check in at the Thai Domestic Flight then the baggage will be automatically transferred, if you don't get the BA boarding pass, then you have to get your luggage when you land then you have to go and check in for the BA flight separately

Thank you for that MJCM - much appreciated - I will pass on the information - my friend whose been staying with me for the past week is going on to Phuket on the 28th. returning to London early in the new year and was unsure of the procedure regarding luggage transfer.

I only flown one time with different airlines for each leg. It was a few years ago, so my memory is a bit foggy on the exact details, but we didnt collect our bags and checkin again at each airport.

We flew from Iran to Kuwait, Kuwait to Beruit, Beruit to Frankfurt and Franfurt to Manchester. All different airlines.

We checked in in Iran and then when we got to Kuwait, we went to the Transfer desk in the transit area. Gave our booking details and I'm pretty sure they arranged transfer of our luggage and printed our onward boarding cards for the other 3 flights.

As I say, I'm not 100% on the details, so phone the airlines and ask them.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thai has an interline agreement with BA and a host of other airlines. A printed copy of your friend's itinerary with flight numbers and an eticket number will suffice if a paper boarding pass isn't available. The agent checking at check-in will show the luggage tag routings to confirm everything before attaching them to the bags and your friend will transit internally as a CIQ passenger in Bangkok, avoiding the need to exit and face the immigration queues.

Edited by justmaybe

Thai has an interline agreement with BA and a host of other airlines. A printed copy of your friend's itinerary with flight numbers and an eticket number will suffice if a paper boarding pass isn't available. The agent checking at check-in will show the luggage tag routings to confirm everything before attaching them to the bags and your friend will transit internally as a CIQ passenger in Bangkok, avoiding the need to exit and face the immigration queues.

Many thanks, justmaybe.

MCJM is wrong, maybe is right. It has nothing to do with getting the BP for BA right at HKT-which i think is not even possible. It has to do with arrangements between airlines. You can always get the new BP at the transfer desk at swampy.

MCJM is wrong, maybe is right. It has nothing to do with getting the BP for BA right at HKT-which i think is not even possible. It has to do with arrangements between airlines. You can always get the new BP at the transfer desk at swampy.

You are right and maybe wrong biggrin.png

But the important thing to look out for is if on the Suitcase(s) the label says LHR if so then the baggage gets redirected to LHR but if it says BKK then you have to pick them up.

So my suggestion to the OP's friends would have to be

1- Ask at check-in if the baggage will be directed automatically to LHR

2- Check the label that gets put on the suitcases if it says LHR and NOT BKK

3- Check / Ask one more time.

Nothing more stressful then arriving at your destination and to find out that your luggage is still in BKK, because someone said it will get automatically send to the final destination wai.gif

Edited by MJCM