Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

Have I missed something but isn't the British coroner due to report in January? Maybe something will be revealed then.

perhaps no evidence of sperm found on the victims ruling out the rape claim and claimed DNA match by Thai police - officially blowing the case clean out of the water

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why UK role in backpackers murder case still worries rights groups

Peter Walker, The Guardian

LONDON:-- British authorities are accused of providing more help to Thai prosecutors than team defending alleged killers of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller

Among the many complexities of the Koh Tao murder case has been the role of UK authorities: trying to help two grief-stricken British families while simultaneously exerting discreet pressure on Thai authorities to try and ensure a fair trial.

It has been a difficult and not completely successful balancing act. The British government has faced accusations it provided more help to those prosecuting the alleged killers of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller than defending them, even though it potentially breached legal guidelines about assisting a case involving capital punishment by doing so.

When the news first emerged in September last year that two young Britons had been murdered on the popular backpackers’ island, the UK’s role was, at first, a familiar one, helping the bereaved families with the terrible but necessary formalities of identifying and repatriating their loved ones’ bodies.

But then came the arrest of two young Myanmar migrant workers, their swift confessions and the equally sudden news they had retracted these, amid claims they had been tortured into admitting guilt.

With alarm mounting in London about a possible miscarriage of justice the Foreign Office called in a senior Thai diplomat....

This is the most injustice in a court I have ever heard in all my 74 years.

I only hope that people from around the world will no longer come to Thailand for there holidays and, not buy goods made in Thailand. The Judges and police have a total disregard for justice.

How can Thailand even think for one minute that the world does not know that those 2 people are completely innocent,I hope they never get another person to holiday on that forbidden Island,,its already riddled with corruption and cowards of the lowest form.The people who pull the strings on that Island should hang their heads in shame.

Speak for yourself. Apart from some keyboard warriors and armchair investigators everybody thinks they are guilty.....

Let us pray that you are hacked up by the real perps.

I received a message from a migrant worker that I know and she wanted to know if I had seen the decision. The message was accompanied by an emoticon crying tears so I expected to see the guilty verdict. The worker told me that she wanted to go back to Myanmar and never return to Thailand. Never, never! While we can decry the verdict on this forum, we cannot feel the fear and frustration of the millions of migrant workers who make a massive contribution to the Thai economy. No good deed goes unpunished -- and a punishment of death will have repercussions in the migrant community for many years. I feel sorrow for those who feel more sorrow than me.

And as the economies of the surrounding countries grow, who will be left to do the work Thai men don't like to do.

The Miller's statement is unbelievable. Something very strange going on there. It can't just be grief.

Yes..I agree and commented in the previous thread..I don't think I've ever heard such a strong statement after a judgement..They were very critical of 'activists' and full of praise for the Royal Thai Police as they quoted and the evidence was overwhelming ..A incredible statement from David's brother on behalf of the family and can't get my head around what they said about the the court case...Is there something we all don't know or didn't hear ?? I really don't know how they could make such a strong statement after witnessing so much of the trial..beyond belief I'm afraid...

I think the family were threatened by the police/mafia and given a statement to read.

For all u non believers, watch bbc and see the brother and family make a statement, nothing but praise for the justice system, they have been there for many months, visiting the ocurts, not you keyboard warriors that want to knock Thailand at every opportunity. the burmese guys had top lawyers paid for by an activist group, how pathetic, activisits are idiots.

I assume the trial was in Thai?

How good is the family's Thai?

Awarded troll comment of the year.

How can Thailand even think for one minute that the world does not know that those 2 people are completely innocent,I hope they never get another person to holiday on that forbidden Island,,its already riddled with corruption and cowards of the lowest form.The people who pull the strings on that Island should hang their heads in shame.

Speak for yourself. Apart from some keyboard warriors and armchair investigators everybody thinks they are guilty.....

Really.!! I have yet to meet anyone who thinks there guilty apart from a 'few keyboard warriors who defend the RTP' and the judges...everybody else I have spoken too in and out of Thailand thinks there innocent..but happy Christmas to you and sleep tight knowing Thailand is in such good hands !!

Jonathan Head mentions about the Australian forensic scientist brought in by the defense team. I remember reading that the British Police had their own team that came to Thailand to investigate.

But i never read their report or comments on what they found? Did anyone else?

they know nothing more than was presented in court or were told by Thai police, they may have opinions on the subject that will never be heard in public

Anybody who thought these two were innocent were living on wishful thinking and ultra biased reports of what was going on in court. I am not for the death penalty but these two are animals and except for their early admissions to police, their lawyers, embassy and rights workers they have showed absolutely no remorse. The people who represented them on this idiotic defense of innocence should be ashamed of themselves. They should have advised they plead guilty and have some hope of seeing freedom again .... then again these two are animals who I don't believe will ever not pose a risk to society.

This is no time to be making silly jokes. I'd still ask you a question tho....would YOU show remorse for something you didn't do?

The Miller's statement is unbelievable. Something very strange going on there. It can't just be grief.

Yes..I agree and commented in the previous thread..I don't think I've ever heard such a strong statement after a judgement..They were very critical of 'activists' and full of praise for the Royal Thai Police as they quoted and the evidence was overwhelming ..A incredible statement from David's brother on behalf of the family and can't get my head around what they said about the the court case...Is there something we all don't know or didn't hear ?? I really don't know how they could make such a strong statement after witnessing so much of the trial..beyond belief I'm afraid...

I think the family were threatened by the police/mafia and given a statement to read.

Police/Mafia from which country?

Would like to see the judges' rationale on how they arrived at the verdict.

No need as we already know their rational which is based on:

Hmmmmm...This requires some real thinking while this required thinking is giving me a real headache ...so best to conclude this affair quickly because I am so tired and worn down actually having to think and reason and use my brain...which was never part of the reasons and purposes as to how and why I obtained this exulted position as a judge in the first place.

Cheers

That is why, even thought sometimes it is not easy to defend, I always was against the death penalty, nowhere I believe in human justice, nowhere.

Killing an innocent is an unforgivable crime, I do not speak only for Thailand, but in most countries if the prosecution or the police are (honestly) convinced of the culpability of someone they could sometimes biased something because they are convinced of this or that.

Most humans are not wise enough to be entrusted with the death penalty.

Why UK role in backpackers murder case still worries rights groups
Peter Walker, The Guardian
LONDON:-- British authorities are accused of providing more help to Thai prosecutors than team defending alleged killers of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller
Among the many complexities of the Koh Tao murder case has been the role of UK authorities: trying to help two grief-stricken British families while simultaneously exerting discreet pressure on Thai authorities to try and ensure a fair trial.
It has been a difficult and not completely successful balancing act. The British government has faced accusations it provided more help to those prosecuting the alleged killers of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller than defending them, even though it potentially breached legal guidelines about assisting a case involving capital punishment by doing so.
When the news first emerged in September last year that two young Britons had been murdered on the popular backpackers’ island, the UK’s role was, at first, a familiar one, helping the bereaved families with the terrible but necessary formalities of identifying and repatriating their loved ones’ bodies.
But then came the arrest of two young Myanmar migrant workers, their swift confessions and the equally sudden news they had retracted these, amid claims they had been tortured into admitting guilt.
With alarm mounting in London about a possible miscarriage of justice the Foreign Office called in a senior Thai diplomat....

Why is Britain frightened of Thailand ? They must stand up and fight for Justice for there own people. I used to be proud to be British. But no longer. I dislike the way governments treat there own people and line their own pockets.

The Miller family have given a statement on Sky News.

Stating they are happy with the decision and that the investigation has been thoroughly undertaken and the verdict is the correct one.

Then I am afraid they are selling David and Hanna's lives short. To seek closure is expected, but to get it with the loss of two more young innocent lives is callous.and heartless. Maybe when all the hype settles down, they may well realise that they haven't got the closure they really want to believe they have. If they think this is done and dusted think again, just wait and see how the crass Thai authorities handle this. Thailand's dear political leader and his cronies have got their wish so now lets watch how they spin this, both to make mileage from it and derail or muddy the appeal procedure.

These were the same people critical of the conspiracy theorists who they made clear didn't know the facts of the case as the did. They also made the comment of how these keyboard detectives were causing them pain. So the statement is 100% appropriate in them trying to find closure and stop having ill-informed people obsess on speculating about this case rather than respecting the victim;s wishes and that their entire family is not morons but rather know more about the facts of the case than any conspiracy theorist or Thai hating people trying to get their jollies

Merry Christmas.. I almost welled up because this is such a discourse of justice and these 2 may very well lose their lives. So that would make 2 more innocent people turning up dead and for what, loss of face, power, it's <deleted> disgraceful to say the least

Police/Mafia from which country?

Zimbabwe, isn't it obvious?

For all u non believers, watch bbc and see the brother and family make a statement, nothing but praise for the justice system, they have been there for many months, visiting the ocurts, not you keyboard warriors that want to knock Thailand at every opportunity. the burmese guys had top lawyers paid for by an activist group, how pathetic, activisits are idiots.

And why is that?

Oh wait, I know, because you said so and want it to be true.

Ever considered taking up the position of a judge?

Why would the family have the need to speak Thai to clearly understand what happened during the trial.

Ever considered that these days there are translators available, and that the family will have had a very good one for that matter, licensed and provided by the British embassy.

Although i don't agree with the outcome of the trial I highly doubt the family would be intimidated by the RTP.

You're grasping at straws.

And why is that?

Oh wait, I know, because you said so and want it to be true.

Ever considered taking up the position of a judge?

As a well known troll Bluespunk.

Of course the family had a translator from the RTP

And so the bubble pops...

The people saying that no evidence was presented are in complete denial, the main evidence against them, DNA found inside the rape victim was presented by the prosecution and not contested in any meaningful way by the defense.

Absolutely untrue and reflects that you've not bothered to follow the trial or read any of the news reports about the DNA evidence.

Archived