Teach in Myanmar or Cambodia? Pros/Cons?

simon43

I suppose this is the best sub-forum for this post, Scott will maybe ban me if I try to post under 'Teaching Thailand') :)

I own a small hotel in Phuket, with a decent monthly income. This business runs well without me in-situ all the time, and so I have time to teach as well. I usually teach outside of Thailand because I have an Elite visa, and do not want to 'mess about' with getting a non-imm B and WP etc.

I teach because I like to teach, not primarily for the (second) income. It is more satisfying than playing golf (I imagine).

I have previously taught in Myanmar and Laos, but not in Cambodia, (although I have worked briefly in Phnom Penh on a software job some years ago).

Now I have teaching job offers from Myanmar (Yangon) and from Cambodia (Phnom Penh).

The salary/conditions are about the same, so which job should I accept?

What are the plus/minus points of living and working in these 2 cities? (I know about Yangon, but maybe a lot has changed in the last 2 years).

I'm tempted to accept the job in PP, because I have never taught before in Cambodia, and that in itself will be a new learning experience for me.

(There is also the plus point that foreigners over 50 years are not allowed to marry local women, so I won't need to worry about a 4th marriage...)

Any views on this? I'd love to hear what you think

Yangon rental prices are on par with Los Angeles now

Yes, they are high now, but apartments were always expensive in Yangon, same as 2-3 years ago when I worked there.

However, 'flats' (ie the old tenement flats that many locals live in are still cheap, (because they are the lowest of quality). That is the type of accommodation that I rented previously, for $120 USD per month. Even if those rents have increased, they will still be affordable, (if you are OK with the rats and cockroaches - which I am...)

Myanmar has big changes next year, could be good ,could be a blood bath. Cambodia easy visa no work permit. Did not know about marrying locals.

You do know the 50 year thing was an April 1st wind up on TV a couple of years ago, or, are you trying to start the wind-up again?smile.png

Edited by overherebc

You do know the 50 year thing was an April 1st wind up on TV a couple of years ago

Obviously, April 1st comes early in Cambodia.

Link from BBC: 21st March 2011

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-12802339

and for Aussies, it comes even earlier.

Link from ABC: 16th March 2011

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-03-16/cambodia-sets-age-limit-for-foreign-husbands/2653258

Edited by simon43

the 50 year old thing is 100% true,

I lived in PP and enjoyed it but that was back in 2008/09

still go back 1-2 times/year. was last up there in Nov to visit .

PP is a dirty city full of bad roads an beggars at every stop, plus constantly being hassled by tuk tuk's/motos asking if u need one.

and when it rains some of the streets flood with garbage.

There are some decent western style restaurants for a cheap meal but in general most things cost more in Cambodia than Thailand.

You can get a good 1 bedroom serviced apt for around $600-800/month/

Nice western bars ( Lonestar, Larrys,) some hostess bars on streets 104,108, 130, 136, 172)

an some down an out street hooker places ( GSM)

If ur working u WILL need a wp the school should provide it an its only $100 /year an not the hassle that it is here in Thailand.

Decent group of expats an some real losers as well trying to make ends meet teaching english for $1,000/month

beaches ( shv an the islands) are 4 hours away on a really dangerous road an of course Siem rep ( angkor Wat) 6-7 hours by road or an hour flight.

New malls ( Aeon) makes Phuket cheap!!!

Having just come back form Yangon (3 weeks ago)

if ur looking for a decent lifestyle, better choice of restaurants, mix with westerners bars on weekends with ladies, choose PP

if u want experience a country that will grow, but not much in the way of nightlife go for Yangon

Now I have teaching offers from Myanmar, Cambodia AND Kuala Lumpur. KL appeals to me because the flights are direct to/from Phuket.

I have another Skype interview tomorrow for a Yangon school job. I'll see how that goes and then make a decision.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

why not Vietnam? You can make up to 2,500 / mo with reasonable hours teaching there, and it is an incredible place to live. Vietnamese students are generally regarded as very amiable as well.

A possibility... do they carry out the above 60 discrimination of teachers?