Helmet cams, what, where and how much?

Deserted

Hi all, could someone suggest a good helmet cam.

Never bought one before, so I don't really know how much to spend. I did want to say that it needs to last for 3-4 hours before the battery runs out as I need it for going in and out of the city.

If someone has bought one in Bangkok, I'd be grateful if they could say where, though I assume probike is the best option.

What should I be looking for in terms of resolution? I want the images to be clear but not necessarily super clear.

You can pickup a GoPro in most malls, cheapest one starts around 6000 baht going all the way up to 17k+

There's also the Sony action cam between 10-13k depending on the box set

All do HD, there are cheaper ones around but I'm not familiar with them.

Biggest problem you're going to have is the battery life, I have the older GoPro Hero 2 with an extended battery pack which gives 3 hours runtime on a good day, just over an hour on a bad one. Most run 1-2 hours on the standard battery in the box, probably best to get one with a changeable battery and carry a few spares with you to swap out when it goes flat.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Probike is the one near lumpini right? They don't seem to sell these kinds of things. Neither does the other one on sarasin.

In the same area though is the amarin mall. When you enter from the bts bridge near chitlom, you're already on the second floor. Just all the way to the back. The bike shop seems to have closed,but there is a dive shop with go pro and a little further is an interesting shop that sells some good things. I bought my garmin 510 there.

Probike is the one near lumpini right? They don't seem to sell these kinds of things. Neither does the other one on sarasin.

In the same area though is the amarin mall. When you enter from the bts bridge near chitlom, you're already on the second floor. Just all the way to the back. The bike shop seems to have closed,but there is a dive shop with go pro and a little further is an interesting shop that sells some good things. I bought my garmin 510 there.

Probike used to carry the Shimano Action Cam, but looks like they are sold out now.

Bike Zone has moved up near Thonglor somewhere, haven't been since they moved from Amarin.

The cameras get expensive because they can be used for movie footage, the most expensive records a 4K resolution and used by Ken Block in his Gymkhana series of videos. Overkill for what you need, but have to remember these are multi use action cams, not just for use on your helmet or bike.

I'd have a look in Big Camera, they had the Sony action cams on sale last month, and looked like a good deal. My friend uses one on his motorcycle and gets 2-2.5 hours from it.

Probike used to carry the Shimano Action Cam, but looks like they are sold out now.

Bike Zone has moved up near Thonglor somewhere, haven't been since they moved from Amarin.

The cameras get expensive because they can be used for movie footage, the most expensive records a 4K resolution and used by Ken Block in his Gymkhana series of videos. Overkill for what you need, but have to remember these are multi use action cams, not just for use on your helmet or bike.

I'd have a look in Big Camera, they had the Sony action cams on sale last month, and looked like a good deal. My friend uses one on his motorcycle and gets 2-2.5 hours from it.

Okay, well if they are top end cameras then I can understand but battery life is a real deterrent.

Use Lazada - plenty of GoPro clones as a fraction of the price. Then use google for reviews.

I bought an SC Cam and am still very happy with it after 1 year.

What are you using it for? I use mine for accidents and police so I no longer mount it on my helmet. I put it on the bike, power it from my power socket so that it comes on when I start the bike

then have it cycling every 10 minutes so that I don't have to change the card or the battery and have a record of any incidents.

Hilarious look from the BIB when you turn the camera to face them after they have pulled you over!

Why don't you use Google?

When someone comes on here to Thaivisa to ask a question, they are mainly looking for other posters experiences.

So why tell them to use Google?

Also, Google will tell you about where to buy and how to use things, but you are better getting other posters experiences

and recommendations of good companies to use, and maybe even who to avoid.

Forget about Google, there are lots of Thaivisa members who are experts in just about every field.

Use Lazada - plenty of GoPro clones as a fraction of the price. Then use google for reviews.

I bought an SC Cam and am still very happy with it after 1 year.

What are you using it for? I use mine for accidents and police so I no longer mount it on my helmet. I put it on the bike, power it from my power socket so that it comes on when I start the bike

then have it cycling every 10 minutes so that I don't have to change the card or the battery and have a record of any incidents.

Hilarious look from the BIB when you turn the camera to face them after they have pulled you over!

Could you tell me which model you bought?

I know nothing about cars or motor cycles but I do know about video cameras.

GoPro is way over the top for what you need. It is a 4k resolution camera which is HD broadcast quality.

A friend was looking for a car version of helmet cam and found lots to choose from at MBM in Bangkok.

The prices started at about 2k ----- but you get what you pay for.

Maybe you should look for one with sound so that you can later verify what the BIB said if you need it.

Again, I know nothing about motor vehicles but I would think that the sight of a helmet cam would deter any BIB considering stopping you for frivolous reasons or for easy tea money.

As an edit: Sorry I've just re-read your OP and you don't specify motor cycle ------ could more likely be a bicycle. But my comments above apply equally.

Edited by Patanawet

I have an SJC SJ4000, which I believe to be a clone of a GoPro, and which has also been cloned and knocked off, etc., etc., etc. Comes in an allegedly waterproof case with all sorts of attachments to use it in a variety of situations. It does HD, I guess... Or at least, it generates 1280x1080x videos. Wide angle lens can be zoomed, but I never do that on the helmet. I chose to mount it on the side of my helmet.

Battery life is as indicated: a couple of hours at best. So I bought an external USB battery pack for it. The one I got was made by Genius and offers 8,000 mAh. It's a bit big, but seems to be the more mAh, the bigger it's gonna be. Fits in my shirt pocket. I cut a small hole, just big enough for a USB cable, in the side of the camera's waterproof case, and run a short USB cable from the battery pack in my pocket up to the camera. Works fairly well that way, and the camera can and has run all day using that system.

Be advised that charging time can be a bit of a drag. Both the camera and external battery pack can take a good bit of time to recharge, but hey -- like I said, when I use it, I use it all day.

I think I paid 3,500-4,500 Baht for the camera with accessories through Lazada. The external battery pack was purchased at Siam TV in Chiang Mai. I cannot remember what I paid for it, but note that there are a wide variety of makers, capacities, and costs. I imagine you could find one at Tesco Lotus, and note too that they will recharge any USB plugged device, including telephones.

The other potential downside is that the video generated can really chew up disk space in a hurry, and especially if set at HD. I generated about 20-30Gb per day on a recent trip. That's also a crap load of video to actually sit and watch/go through, and it's mostly boring video (with highlights now and again). You'll want to delete it often, or go through it quickly, so conserve disk space.

There are many other cameras out there. I know nothing about them.

Edited by RedQualia

I have an SJC SJ4000, which I believe to be a clone of a GoPro,

A very good review and it sounds interesting.

Another good review is at http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/10/27/sjcam-sj4000-action-camera-review/

As Red says, it seem to be a clone of a GoPro with more facilities.

I used to be all for locally made clones untill -------- I bought an iMobile IQ6.3 smartphone.

It was fabulous; looked cool, 5" screen, 18meg camera and more facilites than the iPhone -------- untill just after the guarantee expired, then things went downhill. Touch screen failed --- 3000 Baht. Headphone socket failed, many crashes and now the new screen (just out of warranty) is covered in seasonal looking snow ---- another 3k Baht --- I think not.

Sorry to digress.

PS In my earlier message, I mentioned the mall MBM --- the cat was fighting me for the keyboard, I meant MBK at National Stadium skytrain.

Why don't you use Google?

When someone comes on here to Thaivisa to ask a question, they are mainly looking for other posters experiences.

So why tell them to use Google?

Also, Google will tell you about where to buy and how to use things, but you are better getting other posters experiences

and recommendations of good companies to use, and maybe even who to avoid.

Forget about Google, there are lots of Thaivisa members who are experts in just about every field.

"Thaivisa members who are experts in just about every field". 5555

An Ex is a has-been and a spurt is a drip......under pressure.

There are some good suggestions here .. But they don't fit your requirements.

SJCams are nice and cheap, they are copies of the Gopro but the clone will give you 1.25 - 1.5 hours.

I believe some after market batteries that fit the Gopro are reported to last longer.

imho .. The only camera that fits your spec is the drift range of cameras, they will put you in the region of 3.5 hours per battery.

But they are expensive .. 14,999 for the top of the range, but there is a smaller version for 6000b I believe.

Saying that, you should check out some reviews of the sony action cams and the Sena prism.

For cycling, you might want to fist try out the SJCams M10 .. The batteries are way cheap and the camera is quite compact, the price reasonable.

Then when you decide that you want to upgrade to a drift then you haven't lost too much.

You say, you want half decent image quality - is this as a safety measure ? In which case you want 1080 30 fps minimum, any lower you might not be able to pick out the car number plate if you get clipped.

Edited by recom273

A helmet cam,what a great idea,allowing you to record the inner workings of a lady's most private part.

Make sure you buy one with a waterproof housing.

You should keep your filthy lowlife comments to yourself.

If you cannot make a positive contribution to a topic then don't say anything at all.

Got me beat how that filth is allowed on here !!

there is a youtube video comparing the GoPro And SJC SJ4000

the cheaper camera did good for the price but in no way compared to the Real Go PRO

and there are many clones of the SJ4000 which has to make them worse ,

Again it is what you want out of it , I will probably buy a SJ4000 to play with and see if I need anything better ,

I guess it depends whether you want to use it for safety or as an action cam.

CyclIQ has released a combination light/cam that records HD. For the Cam only mode claimed to be 10hrs! Just out of Beta testing so reliability yet to be confirmed. Similar price to a GoPro.

Also, bit heavier than an action cam, but the same if you include the weight of a light. Compatible with Gopro and Garmin mounts and has a motion sensor for security/incident function.

They make a rear light/cam version as well.

Interesting concept, considering getting one of each.

It's mostly for safety tbh. Had a really close call recently. In fact if it weren't for the final glance over my shoulder, I would have been splattered by a bus coming from Chonburi, who decided to ignore the red light he was supposed to stop at.

• 2 months later...

It's mostly for safety tbh. Had a really close call recently. In fact if it weren't for the final glance over my shoulder, I would have been splattered by a bus coming from Chonburi, who decided to ignore the red light he was supposed to stop at.

Hey ‘Deserted’…… Camera a? You say the Camera is for safety, have to say I feel having a camera for safety will do nothing, It will simple just record your demise in HD. I’m not trying to be a smart ass…… I’m just saying. It may help after an accident in proving who is at fault, but that’s about it.

As for the camera, and which one I would recommend, well can only speak for GoPro, I’ve been using them since they introduced there very first camera. I now have 4 of them, (different models) More fittings and ‘bit’s and bob’ for it than you can shake a stick at. Would I recommend you getting one….. Yes and no!

Don’t get me wrong I like the GoPro, but they are not cheap, you need to run them with a quality SD card, (I would recommend 3 or 4 16GB cards over say….. 2 32GB cards and carry at least one spare battery) That should do you for the day filming. Understanding the functions is not rocket science, read the instructions, go on line and play with it till you’re happy.

What else is out there, to be honest …… Lots and as to how good they all are, I don’t know, but if cost is a factor in your decision, then look at the cheaper options.

Would I now if just starting out and looking for an action camera by a GoPro…… If cost was not a consideration yes, they are good and work well…. But have a good look around…Good Luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D9zXmiZq6Q

Shot this a few years ago with GoPro.....

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it depends whether you want to use it for safety or as an action cam.

CyclIQ has released a combination light/cam that records HD. For the Cam only mode claimed to be 10hrs! Just out of Beta testing so reliability yet to be confirmed. Similar price to a GoPro.

Also, bit heavier than an action cam, but the same if you include the weight of a light. Compatible with Gopro and Garmin mounts and has a motion sensor for security/incident function.

They make a rear light/cam version as well.

Interesting concept, considering getting one of each.

I use the Fly6 for the security/safety cam. Its a rear camera with light. Waiting for the fly12 to be released for the front. They've promised by the end of the month.

Edited by taony