Helmet cams, what, where and how much?

Deserted

I guess it depends whether you want to use it for safety or as an action cam.

CyclIQ has released a combination light/cam that records HD. For the Cam only mode claimed to be 10hrs! Just out of Beta testing so reliability yet to be confirmed. Similar price to a GoPro.

Also, bit heavier than an action cam, but the same if you include the weight of a light. Compatible with Gopro and Garmin mounts and has a motion sensor for security/incident function.

They make a rear light/cam version as well.

Interesting concept, considering getting one of each.

I use the Fly6 for the security/safety cam. Its a rear camera with light. Waiting for the fly12 to be released for the front. They've promised by the end of the month.

I've considered this one, how is the battery life on it?

Food for thought:

It seems that many of the accidents involving cyclists are 'hits from behind'... while only heightened vigilance can go some way to preventing accidents... Mirrors on the bike may help.

When considering a 'helmet cam' it may also be wise to look for one which records both forwards and rear, if any such cam actually exists, is light enough and has sufficient battery life.

I guess it depends whether you want to use it for safety or as an action cam.

CyclIQ has released a combination light/cam that records HD. For the Cam only mode claimed to be 10hrs! Just out of Beta testing so reliability yet to be confirmed. Similar price to a GoPro.

Also, bit heavier than an action cam, but the same if you include the weight of a light. Compatible with Gopro and Garmin mounts and has a motion sensor for security/incident function.

They make a rear light/cam version as well.

Interesting concept, considering getting one of each.

I use the Fly6 for the security/safety cam. Its a rear camera with light. Waiting for the fly12 to be released for the front. They've promised by the end of the month.

I've considered this one, how is the battery life on it?

Quite good i think. Its my device that i charge the least. If I'm only commuting its on about an hour each day, then plus an hour or two on the weekends on average. Maybe every third week i charge it. I'll try ti pay more attention.

I would think blinking LED lights would add more safety than a Helmet cam ,

is there a small wheel powered generator that can charge LED batteries , but the LEDs stay on when you are not moving ?

A Helmet cam is fun if you want to show someone where you went that day , but do you ever watch it by yourself to "re-live" the ride ?

I do like the technology , just not sure what to do with it ?

and I only ride my bike for fun and not to get anywhere...... :)

• 1 month later...

Perhaps I should clarify, when I say safety, I don't mean something that will function as a deterrent. If an incident occurred then I would be able to review the footage and see if I did something wrong myself or at least get another perspective on things. I cycle in the city mostly, often along high-traffic roads and though I've gone years without incidents, I've had many this year. It would mostly be to look at my own riding habits to see if I am doing something wrong, most journeys are 50km plus, in the hot season I noticed once or twice the heat was knocking it out of me at times and I was not concentrating enough.

I find 1080p is not the best quality when it comes to reading a legible license plate.

I have 2 of the cheaper car 1080p DVRs on a motorbike which has a smoother ride than most bicycles and they can only read a Thai plate on a smooth road a few meters away.

Maybe my cams are junk but I suggest anyone with one to actually watch the video they record and see if Thai plates are legible.

Watching a Youtube of a camera in a car is not a good representation of recording quality.

Any 2 ton vehicle will ride smoother than a bike.

A camera won't improve safety but a 4K camera might catch the wrong doer's license plate.

If the camera doesn't have a looping record function it's worthless IMO.

If you don't ride in the rain you could plug in a USB battery pack to get any runtime as long as the extra weight isn't an issue.

I suppose you could also cut a hole in a waterproof case and glue in the USB connector so rainy days aren't a problem.

Look up 4K 360 cameras if money is no object.

Edited by ttakata