• Transam
    • villagefarang

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

450 votes last year

That's because we were drunk and disorderly!!! This year is like a funeral march!!

There were certain personalities running last few years that aren't running now. 'Nuff said. Yes it was chaotic madness but that's much more about the candidates than anything.

450 votes last year

That's because we were drunk and disorderly!!! This year is like a funeral march!!

There were certain personalities running last few years that aren't running now. 'Nuff said. Yes it was chaotic madness but that's much more about the candidates than anything.

I had a surprise e mail from David, the twins and their mum and he are doing good in Oz.

I think more as a raw number but I already explained why. This current poll is less than a week and that one was running for numerous weeks. Duh. In any case always a tiny percentage of the membership.

If you have a brilliant plan on how to get 10 percent of members to vote, great. Not sure this is the right thread for that though. We're in the middle of THIS YEAR'S event.

I think it might be better to leave the top 20 for the final poll. That will draw more interest from members whose favorite is not amongst the top 5. Then as voting nears its end there will be all kinds of vote switching, back stabbing, petulance and cabal forming to make it the kind of poll all members can appreciate.

450 votes last year

I had a surprise e mail from David, the twins and their mum and he are doing good in Oz.

Who can forget the "pimping of Bogan babies". That was comedy gold.

Who reads stickies? I don't. This gets bumped all the time. If it was promoted by the forum, which it isn't, they could do some kind of graphic. But that's not gonna happen.

A bit of fun. Over soon. Thank God!

Being poll lord isn't much fun?

As they say "be sure of what you wish for".wink.png

Nobody believes me but I didn't wish it. I saw it wasn't happening this year and I stepped in. Others may claim it was happening, but it wasn't. People just wanted to kvetch and argue endlessly about every little detail, and nobody had the balls to say I will own running it to completion, set the structure, make the schedules. Also I didn't see a clean way to cut it down to a top 20 but Canuckamuck did that part ... basically the same thing, he had the balls to just do it. Canuckamuck could have done this to the finish in his own way, but he didn't seem to want to and nobody else did either. It's not the glorious blessing you might imagine.

It's not that I didn't want to run with it, but I remembered the previous POTY poll, when you told us how much you wanted a shot at being Poll lord. So when you showed interest again I said go for it. You asked first and you got your shot; and I think you put a lot of work into it and you had good ideas. I wish you had remained more neutral, but whatever, you did it your way.

improvements for next year's contest should include a defined schedule from the beginning. With a compressed timeline. I think after nominations are collected,there should only be two polls. A run-off poll to get the numbers down to a top ten, and then the final 10 person poll, with multi choice allowed. the two polls should be 5 days each. This gives us a chance to wrap it up before there is too much election fatigue and also gives a lot of room for vote shifting and horse racing. Which really is the appeal of this oddball election.

One thing that bothered me this year was the amount of people that dropped out after being nominated. There were some really good ones put up and I wished they would have stayed in. I think that is part of the reason the vote count is lower this year. But the biggest factor was that too few people knew about the contest until it was well under way. I think that can be fixed but it would require a little help from above.rolleyes.gif

I will give Poll MC a shot next year, if you'll have me. I'll get a new hat for the occasion.

Interesting attempt to claim the moral high ground. Thai visa as a kind of batsignal for Nancy the superhero. That's a mighty high horse you're riding.

This poll is meant to be a bit of fun. A concept you've clearly struggled with from the start.

Members shouldn't wonder anymore why I withdrew from this farce. I could see this coming from a mile off when I made the decision to do so.

Who reads stickies? I don't. This gets bumped all the time. If it was promoted by the forum, which it isn't, they could do some kind of graphic. But that's not gonna happen.

A bit of fun. Over soon. Thank God!

Being poll lord isn't much fun?

As they say "be sure of what you wish for".wink.png

Nobody believes me but I didn't wish it. I saw it wasn't happening this year and I stepped in. Others may claim it was happening, but it wasn't. People just wanted to kvetch and argue endlessly about every little detail, and nobody had the balls to say I will own running it to completion, set the structure, make the schedules. Also I didn't see a clean way to cut it down to a top 20 but Canuckamuck did that part ... basically the same thing, he had the balls to just do it. Canuckamuck could have done this to the finish in his own way, but he didn't seem to want to and nobody else did either. It's not the glorious blessing you might imagine.

It's not that I didn't want to run with it, but I remembered the previous POTY poll, when you told us how much you wanted a shot at being Poll lord. So when you showed interest again I said go for it. You asked first and you got your shot; and I think you put a lot of work into it and you had good ideas. I wish you had remained more neutral, but whatever, you did it your way.

improvements for next year's contest should include a defined schedule from the beginning. With a compressed timeline. I think after nominations are collected,there should only be two polls. A run-off poll to get the numbers down to a top ten, and then the final 10 person poll, with multi choice allowed. the two polls should be 5 days each. This gives us a chance to wrap it up before there is too much election fatigue and also gives a lot of room for vote shifting and horse racing. Which really is the appeal of this oddball election.

One thing that bothered me this year was the amount of people that dropped out after being nominated. There were some really good ones put up and I wished they would have stayed in. I think that is part of the reason the vote count is lower this year. But the biggest factor was that too few people knew about the contest until it was well under way. I think that can be fixed but it would require a little help from above.rolleyes.gif

I will give Poll MC a shot next year, if you'll have me. I'll get a new hat for the occasion.

And a key objective must be to get the vote count substantially higher, however you decide to achieve that, into four digits at least. Maybe even have an early poll for the role plus the rules? Dunno.

Edited by chiang mai

I have no idea who David is here now if he is here, but it was nice to see pics of a happy family.

Anyway, my final vote was made at midnight in Europe. I am getting on a rather small and cheap airliner tomorrow. And shall be offline for a week!!! And shall lose lottsa sleep just waiting to get back home to read the results!! Perhaps not the results, but the comments before and after.

Good luck all of you.

And asking odd questions to people is a bit off. I would not have answered them. Where did that idea come from?

JT, your crown is going to go in a few hours. Admit you are sad. Deep breaths, deep breaths. Whooo. Gooooood!!

The thing that riles me about Nancy is that, she is loved and respected where she lives. Without a doubt, and does good for the expat community.

But what has she added to TVF? Has she ever been on the Ladies Forum, In the Pub, on the Pets part, or even down to Bedlam to see my sooper dooper cat thread? I don't think so. Or i don't remember.

Whereas the others bop about, and add to the whole Forum - whether with humour, or song or advice.

That's what makes a POTY. Not someone who is blinkered in one area.

By the way - it looks like i may win Bedlamite of the Year!!! (BOTTY)!! I am up against some tough adversaries!!

Nerverdie, you know you want to vote for me there, don't you?!!

Patsycat, clearly you've never gone over to the Visa or Health forums, have you?

While we're on the idea of how to get the vote count up for next year -- why does this contest originate out of the Farang Pub forum? Start by asking for nominations from each of the major forums. When I announced I was in the semi-finals in the Chiang Mai forum, many people asked why other CM forum favorites weren't in the race. Some of those people never go into the Pub, but are good elsewhere on ThaiVisa.

While we're on the idea of how to get the vote count up for next year -- why does this contest originate out of the Farang Pub forum? Start by asking for nominations from each of the major forums. When I announced I was in the semi-finals in the Chiang Mai forum, many people asked why other CM forum favorites weren't in the race. Some of those people never go into the Pub, but are good elsewhere on ThaiVisa.

I agree, the same informational post at the outset, posted in EVERY forum, wouldn't go amiss.

A tip for not missing out on things going in in the other forums is to use New Content as your first stop. From the New Content page you can see everything that is current and the hot threads keep bumping up to the top of the list. Most of the time I don't even know what forum I am in. I just drop in on interesting sounding threads from New Content.

What's the penalty for not voting, dinner with you? laugh.png

Of course not, you silly billy!

The way it works is this, see. It'll be GRAND.

Only for the GRAND FINALE, of course,

The forum software forces the lazy apathetic vote slackers and nullist suspects into obscure subforums like SWIMMING POOLS and FARMING and keeps them there. Locked up. It could be programmed to stick them into forums they've never visited before.

When they try to navigate to other subforums, a huge popup announces, VOTE NOW to unlock forum navigation feature1zgarz5.gif !

So then they vote and they are released.

Simples, really.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Super E-Z voting solution.crazy.gif

Mandatory voting. Like in Australia. That'll get the numbers up for sure.

How do they enforce that there? Wouldn't the Null Vote win for sure?

So you really think Milwaukee will ever allow "Null Vote" to be crowned POTY? cool.png "Null Vote" was never nominated and never went through the weeding process.

Edited by Jingthing

One of my hobbies here in Thailand is mountain biking. My approach to riding is very similar to the way I live in Thailand. I ride a high end bike cobbled together over the years of riding from aftermarket parts chosen for the way I ride.

I ride the most beautiful trails I can find and I ride them as is. I embrace the obstacles and imperfections. Sure I try to ride the smoothest most fluid path but I do not curse the challenges which I encounter. I stop to take pictures and enjoy the beauty around me. I have no thoughts about changing or modifying the trail. If I don’t like a particular trail I find another one which I find more enjoyable.
In Thailand I try to surround myself with beauty and spend my time with intelligent, successful, worldly friends, mainly Thai, who speak softly and with a measured tone. Life is short and I don’t want to spend it complaining about things I cannot change. The weather is what it is, so I dress and build my house accordingly. The easiest thing to modify is me and my attitude, not the people or society around me.

One of my hobbies here in Thailand is mountain biking. My approach to riding is very similar to the way I live in Thailand. I ride a high end bike cobbled together over the years of riding from aftermarket parts chosen for the way I ride.

I ride the most beautiful trails I can find and I ride them as is. I embrace the obstacles and imperfections. Sure I try to ride the smoothest most fluid path but I do not curse the challenges which I encounter. I stop to take pictures and enjoy the beauty around me. I have no thoughts about changing or modifying the trail. If I dont like a particular trail I find another one which I find more enjoyable.

In Thailand I try to surround myself with beauty and spend my time with intelligent, successful, worldly friends, mainly Thai, who speak softly and with a measured tone. Life is short and I dont want to spend it complaining about things I cannot change. The weather is what it is, so I dress and build my house accordingly. The easiest thing to modify is me and my attitude, not the people or society around me.

This surely must be an attempt at self-parody. If so, it's comedy genius. I don't think I've ever read anything more smugly self-satisfied.

Super E-Z voting solution.crazy.gif

Mandatory voting. Like in Australia. That'll get the numbers up for sure.

How do they enforce that there? Wouldn't the Null Vote win for sure?

So you really think Milwaukee will ever allow "Null Vote" to be crowned POTY? cool.png "Null Vote" was never nominated and never went through the weeding process.

I think if null vote wins, we should accept that this year's contest was a failure and award the crown to nobody.

Anyone agree?