Thai schoolgirl summoned for police interrogation

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The same tactics go on in the "developed" West.... Doesn't make them ok but, it's worth noting!

ok I'll bite... please provide a link where a 15 year old schoolgirl is taken in by Police for interrogation and will get a civil/criminal law suite for making a video about pollution by an established huge company. US? France? UK? Germany? anywhere?

and as you like "noting things" IF any such nastiness occurred the government and the company would be annihilated by the free press much, much more than is allowed here and "it's worth noting" there would be demos on the streets.

wake up - smell the coffee - this is not about the "developed" West (sic) but about using the might of the elite machine against the unprotected and weak and in this case a 15 year old schoolgirl here in Thailand

Edited by LannaGuy

maderaroja

Poor attempt at sarcasm!

I would think that even in the US, children have nothing to fear from the police.

I would also suspect that they (the US police) would treat a libel suit against a 15-year old girl (by Thung Kham Ltd) with the contempt and disdain that it deserves.

The same tactics go on in the "developed" West.... Doesn't make them ok but, it's worth noting!

ok I'll bite... please provide a link where a 15 year old schoolgirl is taken in by Police for interrogation and will get a civil/criminal law suite for making a video about pollution by an established huge company. US? France? UK? Germany? anywhere?

and as you like "noting things" IF any such nastiness occurred the government and the company would be annihilated by the free press much, much more than is allowed here and "it's worth noting" there would be demos on the streets.

wake up - smell the coffee - this is not about the "developed" West (sic) but about using the might of the elite machine against the unprotected and weak and in this case a 15 year old schoolgirl here in Thailand

recently in the US where a black boy brought a self made radio to school, he was put in hand cuffs and arrested

How about the name of the company? They don't have problem with giving the name of the child, SO how about the name of the company???

Then people can make informed choices as to which companies they chose to do business with and those they do not.

Also If there is proof of any pollution and it is attributed to the company, then stating facts should not be a crime.

There is a very big difference between mud slinging to hurt a person/company/business rival, and telling the truth about them.

The STUPID thing is that a person with some kind of intelligence would realize that this is not a good look for the company nor for the country that allows this.

but stating the facts can be a crime if the firm thinks it is defamatory, the dice are weighted, the sense of morality in this country is low,very low.

How about the name of the company? They don't have problem with giving the name of the child, SO how about the name of the company???

I stumbled across this Wiki article, which is probably not the same company as the one in the OP. After all, I'm sure there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of gold mines in the Khao Luang District of Loei Province.

The gold mine was accused of poisoning the villagers' land and water supplies and causing serious health problems. Yon Khunna, who was watching out for the village on Thursday night, said the men tied his hands and beat him up for hours. "I was released just at 4:30am," he said.

Wouldn't ' interview ' be a more suitable headline as ' interrogation ' has connotations of heavy handedness ?

Will reps of the mining company be interviewed or interrogated ?

Don't know about this mine which is south of Loei town but the one to the north which also had problems was owned by Australians.

Then people can make informed choices as to which companies they chose to do business with and those they do not.

Also If there is proof of any pollution and it is attributed to the company, then stating facts should not be a crime.

There is a very big difference between mud slinging to hurt a person/company/business rival, and telling the truth about them.

The STUPID thing is that a person with some kind of intelligence would realize that this is not a good look for the company nor for the country that allows this.

The Company was the brainchild of Captain Edward T. Miles of Australia who felt he could develop equipment to mechanize the offshore mining industry, after observing the labor intensive methods of the Chinese at Phuket in 1905.

In 1906, he founded the “Tongkah Harbour Tin Dredging Company N.L”, incorporated it in Hobart Tasmania and, upon due arrangements with the local Governor, began offshore tin mining in Phuket Bay in 1907, utilizing the world’s first sea-going bucket dredge.

Following 1907, the Company put seven more dredges into mining operations in the Phuket area. The British firm, the “London Tin Group” (managed by Anglo Oriental), eventually gained control and transferred the Company’s domicile to Malaysia and renamed it “Tongkah Harbour Tin Dredging Ltd” which was later officially named “Tongkah Harbour Tin Dredging Berhad”. The London Tin Group was subsequently taken over by the Malaysian Mining Corporation (MMC).

CaptionMiles.jpg 1980: Shareholding was restructured to become predominantly Thai in response to the Thai government’s policy of encouraging domestic investment in the mining industry. On being registered in Thailand, the Company was renamed “Tongkah Harbour Ltd.”

1990: With the collapse of the tin market in the mid 80’s, the Company diversified into gold and base metal exploration in 1990, and property development in Bangkok where it undertook the construction of “Tongkah Tower”, now known as the “True Tower”.

1991: The Company’s subsidiary, Tungkum Limited (TKL), was founded and granted a concession in Loei province for the exploration and mining of gold and related minerals. 1993: The Company went public and started trading of shares in the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET). The Company was again renamed as “Tongkah Harbour Public Company Limited”.

1995: Pursuant to successful exploration, TKL submitted mining plans and six gold mining license applications to the Department of Mineral Resources, which approved the plans in late 1996.

Post 1997: The Company emerged from the financial crisis of 1997 with no foreign exchange exposure and no debts, and in a strong cash position. However, the SET ruled that the Company’s earnings from tin operations (considered by the SET to be the Company’s core business) were disproportionately lower than its other revenue and, accordingly, suspended (but later reinstated) from trading on the SET.

2003: The Ministry of Industry granted Tungkum Limited the gold mining license whereupon the Company could initiate the mine development process. 2004: The Company added to its land bank in Phuket by acquiring land which joined together two parcels already held. With this acquisition, the Company now holds some 39,745 sq m of continuous beach front property in a prime location for future development.

2005: The Company accumulated 83.7 % of Sea Minerals Limited (SML) which has subsequently filed mining leases over 50,000 rai (8,000 hectares) to mine an off-shore deposit in the Andaman Sea where evaluations based on some 1200 drill holes indicate resources of over 50,000 tons of tin in the area.

2006: A loan for USD 25 million was approved by Deutsche Bank. Part of the loan was utilized to refinance the local consortium banks. The remaining loans will be utilized for the further plant expansion and proving of reserves. During the final quarter of the year, TKL commenced production of gold.

2007: The Company controls 99.99% of SML which has proven reserves of some 60,000 tons of tin ore (72% Sn) at a cut off grade of 0.10kg/cubic meter

2008: A loan of USD 35 million was approved by Deutsche Bank. Part of the loan was utilized to repay the earlier loan while the balance is being used to finance current and planned expansions. Current gold production stands at 3000-4000 plus ounces every month.

2009: Currently, the Company is focused on flotation plant construction at its Loei gold mining operation and commissioning the facility for full operation and production. Meanwhile, exploration for more ore in the concession area is ongoing with recent drilling at Target T-1 indicating increases in sulfide ore resources. THL will also be pursuing licensing for its offshore tin ore resources in the Andaman Sea, and will be monitoring development prospects for its landbank holdings in Bangkok and Phuket. The company will also continue to monitor and following upon, any exploration and development prospects in Thailand and neighboring countries.

As you can see this company has an Australian connection and a connection with Deutsche Bank

I imagine Tongkah Harbour and DB are both on board with this action as they are probably fed up with the natives trying to defend their land and environment against their commercial interests.

Sometimes I find it very difficult to justify living in this country.

I'm leaving... unfortunately the bad outweighs the good by a lot...

Perhaps it depends how much you follow the news. I have to take a break sometimes, and remember the reasons why once I chose for Th.

Edited by flyDelight

Quote The NHRC said this right was protected by constitutions and by the Child Protection Act and Convention on the Rights of the Child, which require member states to ensure children's freedom of expression. Unquote. Will the return of adults freedom of expression be next please?

Thailand is held back by its people when operating in this mode (face and greed). It could and should be a really great country. I know it's not everyone and the girl is evidence of this, but this carry on is endemic. Just makes me sad.

I dunno Dave, this Thai girl seems to have held nothing back. She'll have everyone's hearts and support, a hero in the making. Makes me happy. Even if the mine wins, it'll be a bad taste in the mouth. Teenage girls are a force to be reckoned with. Hope this paves the way for more of them to stand up and kick some ass.

As much as I used to love Thailand- this type of story just takes the shine off everything. All through the years I have closed my eyes and tried to understand that this is the Thai way. This place is starting to wear thin- arresting a school girl because she told the truth; the constant bullying of the poor or undocumented by the wealthy; using the military to handle police work; immigration inconsistencies; taking citizens off for an attitude adjustment. I know most Thai people are really fed up but have no voice. The negatives are really starting to outweigh the pluses.

Gold mining in most operations relies on cyanide to extract the gold from finely crushed ore. The two sources of pollution are cyanide waste, and the tailings of powdered ore.

To treat these sources of pollution properly, the tailings need to be combined with earth over a large area, or stored in a tailings dam. The cyanide can be reduced to a harmless waste with chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide.

A gold-mining company's profit is maximized when the waste products are simply flushed into a nearby river. Ok Tedi in New Guinea is a classic example of this approach.

recently in the US where a black boy brought a self made radio to school, he was put in hand cuffs and arrested

Yes, that's exactly the same!!!

I probably missed it... But I saw no mention of independent testing to prove or disprove the claim.

Company testing would have been less believable than the girls statement.

Government testing would show thru DNA that bears don't really shift in the woods.

But surely Thailand has some sort of independent testing authority.

And surely, before being interrogated, test results should be studied as mining does result in pollution.... Admittedly, it's all about acceptable levels, though.... But studies should be a matter of course to hold the rights to mine.

Mining firm scum.

yes but WHY are mining companies, or ANYONE, allowed under Thai law to BULLY, HARASS and INTIMIDATE a young, beautiful teenage schoolgirl who makes a school project video about a river near her home?

Is she not to be CONGRATULATED for being brave? for giving a GLIMMER of hope that some Thais CARE??? she, and others, are the hope of Thailand

THIS type of nastiness is the evil in Thailand that seeks to ensnare it's populace in the embrace of deference by the big and the powerful bully boy elite

Happy Christmas Thailand please wake up it is time

"a young, beautiful teenage schoolgirl"

So it is OK to BULLY, HARASS and INTIMIDATE a older ugly schoolboy who did the same ?

Yeah, I thought the same. What a stupid comment.....

There is a film out there based on a true story which shows the problem to sue a big company.

It's called "Erin Brokovich" It say everything how difficult it is,even in a country like USA.

Good luck to the young girl, she is doing the right thing. But she does need a good team of lawyers to help her out.

I'm leaving... unfortunately the bad outweighs the good by a lot...

I understand both of you, and the many others who post in a similar vein, I stay, my wife and daughter are here and my wife won't leave her parents.

I love the ordinary people, (although at times they infuriate me).

But the self perpetuating self serving elite who hold the country in their avaricious grasp, and are destroying its social fabric, and neglecting its physical fabric...

Edited by JAG

My conscience would not allow me to hide and cover my eyes to all the terrible things here. I had to leave. I feel bad because I would like to come back to see friends and such but the struggle is why why why? I have reverted to 'visiting' but no longer that a month or 2.

The biggest challenge is the apathy, corruption, and seemingly no hope for change.