Driving in Thailand

gprit

Where's the fun in your wife doing all the driving? Get yourself an international driving permit and do some of the driving yourself! I've driven a lot on holiday in Thailand and provided you drive with a reasonably tolerant & defensive mindset you'll enjoy it.

It's interesting to see the difference in driving and vehicles between central areas (Bangkok & environs) and further out, nearer to the border areas.

In BKK most vehicles vehicles seem to drive on the correct side of the road and are taxed & registered, seatbelts worn, bikers wearing helmets (sometimes even fastened!) and the further away you get the looser the standards are!

In Sakeow & PoiPet relatively few motorcycles are registered and even some cars don't have registration plates so one has to assume no tax and most likely no insurance! So drive extra defensively!

Andrew

Thanks - didn't realise it was on the back of the license!! And yes, I WILL be doing most of the driving!!! Lived in Udon Thani for 18 months so well used to the ways of the road !! Just my wife will want to drive some of the time with her parents.

Thanks

Archived