3-year Multiple Non-B Visa Launched

Given the marked reluctance by Thai Embassies to even issue a one year Multiple entry Non-Immigrant B now, one would have to be somewhat optimistic in thinking that these 3 year visa's will be very easy to obtain.

True, and notice that the honorary consuls are forbidden to issue this three-year visa.

Where are you supposed to get it then? Why is it asian countries all have this problem. CEntral gov makes a law and everyone does what they want weather it is good for the country or not...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the marked reluctance by Thai Embassies to even issue a one year Multiple entry Non-Immigrant B now, one would have to be somewhat optimistic in thinking that these 3 year visa's will be very easy to obtain.

But the criteria for application would appear to be the same as for a one year application. Maybe after having been seen to do something proactive towards reducing the number of 'less desirable' characters via the new VOA regulations; this is the government's way of ensuring that it doesn't shoot itself in both feet and still manages to keep a steady level of foreign money coming into the country. Here's hoping it's within easy reach and not the Holy Grail of visas!

I think you right that it is probably intended to "legalize" the wealthier frequent visitors that might get caught up in the new VOA restrictions. But it seems very muddled and badly thought through. It seems intended for overseas based businessmen who can demonstrate they have bona fide business in Thailand and allows them to visit frequently and stay for up to 90 days at a time. On the other hand it prohibits them from working, even though it is obvious that some one who has business here and comes for frequent, lengthy visits is working and should have a work permit and pay tax.

On the positive side this seems to be the first time that Immigration has shown a willingness to issue visas of more than one year duration. Hopefully the next step, which arguably should have been the first step, will be to issue three year visas for people on work permits and permanent residents. On second thoughts why not scrap visa and work permit requirements entirely for permanent residences, as in most countries in the world?

"Employment of any kind is stricktly prohibited..."

And then again you SHOULD be employed to even apply for this visa :o

So is or isn't it? A requirement or obstacle to be employed.

This is just as clear statement as thai authorities can ever be.

This means employment in Thailand by a Thai company is prohibited. This type of visa is designed for visiting overseas businessmen who will not be employed in Thailand.

Thank god someone is not thick!!! Yes this means no employment b thai company< but you can be paid by overseas company.....

[Post edited. Next time, please turn off your Caps Lock key before posting. Using all caps is equivalent to screaming and is considered bad netiquette. Thank you. /Meadish]

A new 3-year multiple Non-Immigrant "B" visa is now launched.

An equivalent has been available for years to Australians and many others - it is the APEC Business Travel Card. Genuine business travellers can get this for access to Australia, Brunei, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Thailand and Taiwan. You are issued with a card that is valid for all those countries for several years and show it on arrival.

You have access to priority immigration entry points at the airport and immediately get admission for 12 weeks.

These new visa arrangements simply match the APEC Business Travel Card.

How does one go around getting that APEC Business Travel Card? thanks.

But the criteria for application would appear to be the same as for a one year application. Maybe after having been seen to do something proactive towards reducing the number of 'less desirable' characters via the new VOA regulations; this is the government's way of ensuring that it doesn't shoot itself in both feet and still manages to keep a steady level of foreign money coming into the country. Here's hoping it's within easy reach and not the Holy Grail of visas!

I think you right that it is probably intended to "legalize" the wealthier frequent visitors that might get caught up in the new VOA restrictions. But it seems very muddled and badly thought through. It seems intended for overseas based businessmen who can demonstrate they have bona fide business in Thailand and allows them to visit frequently and stay for up to 90 days at a time. On the other hand it prohibits them from working, even though it is obvious that some one who has business here and comes for frequent, lengthy visits is working and should have a work permit and pay tax.

On the positive side this seems to be the first time that Immigration has shown a willingness to issue visas of more than one year duration. Hopefully the next step, which arguably should have been the first step, will be to issue three year visas for people on work permits and permanent residents. On second thoughts why not scrap visa and work permit requirements entirely for permanent residences, as in most countries in the world?

not correct.currently, if you are an buyer from another country, you are ment to get a business visa when you travel to Thailand.You are breaking the Law if you come here on any aother visa.It does not mean that you are that you should have a work permit or that you must pay tax.personally I know of two people that come to Thailand 3-4 times a year for this purpose.

You are conducting business,but you are employed from overseas.It's very simple and is a good change.

But note the most important condition - the application must be submitted 'in the applicant's coutry of residence'.

This precludes the quick applcaitions to Penang, Vientiane, Singapore, etc (unless you are from there), and all of those places are now near refusing to issue Multiple Non B visas.

This brings Thailand more in line with other countries, and this is to force visa applicants to go to their origin, get the visa, and then they cant be running away from any issues in home country.

I think this is a great move, as I say on this forum so often, I go home once a year anyway to get my visa, so when I go in December to renew, I will get three years instead of one - fantastic.

As to the work issue, if you structure your tax affairs accordingly, and you are not working in Thailand, and genuinely doing 'business', ie buying Thai products for resale overseas, then this is a great bonus.

So, although they have killed the 'perpetual tourist/visa runners', they are sensible enough to realise they still need export income.

Well done Thailand.

"Employment of any kind is stricktly prohibited..."

And then again you SHOULD be employed to even apply for this visa :o

So is or isn't it? A requirement or obstacle to be employed.

This is just as clear statement as thai authorities can ever be.

The statement is very clear and the rules and requirements are clear as well.

Maybe you should read them as many times as it might be necessary for you to understand them.

One poster advises:

"Application fee is ABOUT 10,000 Baht

The application Fee is Non-Refundable

(The annual fee is only 1,900 Baht - - - 1.900 x 3 = 5,700 )"

I get my Non-Imm B in Australia, and for the last 2 years, they've been charging A$255 for this visa application, which works out to be about Baht 7,000 per year! 3 X 7,000 = 21,000 so this makes a 3 year Non-Imm B visa great value if the price is about Baht 10,000!

As also mentioned in this thread, the best value of all & most convenient too, is the APEC Business Travel Card, http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/apec/ which is obtainable by bonefide business people from APEC countries and gives visa free entry to holders & is valid for 3 years. In the case of Thailand, APEC Business Travel Card holders are allowed multiple stays of upto 90 days for the 3 year validity of the card. The card whilst valid for 3 years, is valid for the validity of your passort, in the event your passport is valid for less than 3 years. Holdres of this card are permitted to stay for business, but NOT local (Thai) employment.

The cost for an Aussie of an APEC Business Travel Card is just A$155 (Baht 4,260), which given that it lasts for 3 years, is a far far cheaper option that either 3 X annual Non-Imm B visas (Baht 21,000 total) or even this new 3 year Non-Imm B visa at Baht 10,000. As an added bonus, it gives visa free entry into all other APEC countries as well (Indonesia, Vietnam, China etc) so is a money saver all round.

The downside is, that they are very strict on the issuance of these cards & also the fact that once you have applied, they go off to all the APEC countries & apply for pre-approved entry (the equiv of applying for a visa), so it can take 2 or 3 months from date of applying, to actually getting the card! So, it's not exactly something you can get in a hurry!

I've had an application in for about 1 month now & have had no news yet, except to advise confirmation that I've qualified. Interestingly, as the application is by mail & only a photocopy of the passport is required, theoretically, as long as you have a local home country mailing address, you could apply from anywhere - but it does have to go to your home country.

The final bonus, is that holders of the APEC Business Travel Card can use the express APEC / VIP line at immigration, so no more queueing in long lines!!!

One interesting thing I noticed in this directive was the stipulation that employment is prohibited. This precludes job-seekers from obtaining/wanting this visa but it also demonstrates some valid points that seem to be lost on many Thai consular offices along with a number of TV posters: holders of non-'B' visas can be for people simply traveling to Thailand frequently for business purposes, these people will not be getting a work permit, the wrath of the gods will not fall upon them for not having done so.

Good point.

I think it is great that Thailand is finally doing something about the lack of VISA regulations, god knows how many killers, rapists, and paedophiles are running around the country. I might be getting the wrong vibes here but it sounds like most of the posters on this thread are not on work permits or any other type of VISA other than the VOA.

To be honest the rules and regulations here are already very lax even after the recent crack down on VOAs, I only hope that this will weed out the wasters and allow the rest an oportunity to make amends for the reputation that the 'farang kee nok' have left us with. :o

I am not targeting anyone in this thread, just stating my opinion.

Rant Over :D

I totally agree with you.

There is no problem obtaining a 1 year "non immigrant visa" in the Thai Embassy in my home country, fee 110 € . Applay and you have the visa in 1 - 3 days.

I think this new visa can be of great use for many people. Helping to fill the gap for people with money enough, sponsors/biz contacts in Thailand and the wish for long time stay here.

Looking forward to the first report(s) of these visas actually being issued.

Cheers!

Morning all!

My parents, both UK-based retirees, are struggling to get information from the Thai Embassy in London about what type of visa they should apply for that would enable them to spend upwards of two months a time, a couple of times a year in Thailand without leaving the country after 30 days. Does anyone have knowledge as to what type of visa they should ask for?

This new 3-year Multiple Non-B looks perfect but I guess it is restricted to those who are working in their home countries, not retirees.

Any clues anyone? Many thanks.

1 year multiple entry "non immigrant visa" gives your parents 90 days and then they may go cross the border or apply at immigration office for another 90 days and another 90 days.......

Morning all!

My parents, both UK-based retirees, are struggling to get information from the Thai Embassy in London about what type of visa they should apply for that would enable them to spend upwards of two months a time, a couple of times a year in Thailand without leaving the country after 30 days. Does anyone have knowledge as to what type of visa they should ask for?

This new 3-year Multiple Non-B looks perfect but I guess it is restricted to those who are working in their home countries, not retirees.

1 year multiple entry "non immigrant visa" gives your parents 90 days and then they may go cross the border or apply at immigration office for another 90 days and another 90 days.......

I think that you might find that one year multi-entry visas might dry up, unless people can show the appropraite income etc.

Morning all!

I think that you might find that one year multi-entry visas might dry up, unless people can show the appropraite income etc.

Seconded. People who are visiting Thailand for a couple months as tourists do not need a multi-entry non-immigrant visa when a simple tourist visa would suffice.

Morning all!

Surely your parents need to go and look into requirements for a retirement visa (ie. aged over 50, baht 800,000 in a Thai bank account demonstrable annually etc.)

I think this is current however I'm not elligible, nor am I an expert, so check. :o

Also, try the consular in Hull. Much more approachable than the embassy in London. Good luck!

Edited by Mr Bean

Morning all!

My parents, both UK-based retirees, are struggling to get information from the Thai Embassy in London about what type of visa they should apply for that would enable them to spend upwards of two months a time, a couple of times a year in Thailand without leaving the country after 30 days

Surely your parents need to go and look into requirements for a retirement visa (ie. aged over 50, baht 800,000 in a Thai bank account demonstrable annually etc.)

Why would somebody who plans to visit Thailand twice-per-year, two months at a time want to subject themselves to this rigamarole? Surely the proposed situation is ideal for a tourist visa.

Morning all!

My parents, both UK-based retirees, are struggling to get information from the Thai Embassy in London about what type of visa they should apply for that would enable them to spend upwards of two months a time, a couple of times a year in Thailand without leaving the country after 30 days

Why would somebody who plans to visit Thailand twice-per-year, two months at a time want to subject themselves to this rigamarole? Surely the proposed situation is ideal for a tourist visa.

Oops. Very good point.

My fault for skim-reading. :o

I stand corrected (said the man in the orthopaedic shoes) :D

Morning all!

The OP wrote UPWARDS of 2 months

Morning all!

And your point is...? :o

A Tourist Visa with 30 day extension would give them 90 days.

To be honest the rules and regulations here are already very lax even after the recent crack down on VOAs, I only hope that this will weed out the wasters and allow the rest an oportunity to make amends for the reputation that the 'farang kee nok' have left us with. :o

I am not targeting anyone in this thread, just stating my opinion.

Rant Over :D

Not all the "wasters" are visa runners.

(not a visa runner .. not sure about being a waster) :D

Some here seem to indicate that this measure is some sort of post coup "relaxation" of visa rules. IMO this is a natural extension of that tightening up process. The recent restrictions had the distinct potential to cause hassle for business travellers and this is a direct response to that. It indicates that the new government will continue with the previous program and may even introduce further measures to tighten up/ modernise the system. Maybe not all of these will be good news.

Be it right or be it wrong, I thought a Non"B" was issued in another country ie your home country on the understanding you either, a, were going to start a business in Thailand.. b, had a job to go to..If you did neither you would lose the Non "B"..

The point of my post above (post number 8) is that there is a category c that also requires a non-'B' visa: the traveling businessman who visits Thailand but does not work in Thailand, does not desire to work in Thailand, and is not looking to set up a company in Thailand.

Ovenman,, You are spot on the mark..I checked with my Legal People..These new three year visas are for foreign business people to come to Thailand to conduct business here and not for local employment, we here who have Non"B" just carry on as they dont apply to us..

That info came from a Thai Legal Firm..

extremely confusing thinks I..

Morning all!

Naturally I have an appropraite incom, othervise I'll stay home and suffer :o

Morning all!

I think this is current however I'm not elligible, nor am I an expert, so check. :o

Also, try the consular in Hull. Much more approachable than the embassy in London. Good luck!

No need for 800 000 Bath in a thai bank if you have an monthly income no less than 65 000 bath, that is from your home country. http://www.thaiembassy.fi/visatothailand.html

Edited by skipper

A new 3-year multiple Non-Immigrant "B" visa is now launched.

An equivalent has been available for years to Australians and many others - it is the APEC Business Travel Card. Genuine business travellers can get this for access to Australia, Brunei, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Thailand and Taiwan. You are issued with a card that is valid for all those countries for several years and show it on arrival.

You have access to priority immigration entry points at the airport and immediately get admission for 12 weeks.

These new visa arrangements simply match the APEC Business Travel Card.

How does one go around getting that APEC Business Travel Card? thanks.

Just follow the links in my second post.

I must say I am really puzzled by a lot of the posts in this topic. If you want to have the benefits of the new 3 year business visa just get the APEC Card. Cheaper, applies for more countries, less hassle. I have had one for a couple of years now and have no problems using it to go to Thailand and automatically getting 90 days on arrival.

On the other hand if you want to get the new visa in an attempt to circumvent the immigration regs (e.g. wish to be a permanent resident and just leave the country for a day every 90 days) forget it and the APEC card as there are stringent checks on bona fide business activity.

Ten years ago I got a 3-year non-imm B visa and corresponding 3-year work permit. No need to leave the country, but one was supposed to report every 90 days to immigration locally (something which in those days were not strictly enforced). I am Norwegian, and worked for a Swedish multinational, under BoI (Board of Investment) zone 3 privileges. Perhaps Sunbelt can enlighten us if this is still possible? (I have long since retired, and will change from the 3 mill. investment visa to retirement visa next year, when I turn 50).

But it will of course not be of any help for anyone not fulfilling the requirements of BoI, Labour Department and Immigration. But it was less hazzle, issued at the "one-stop service center", and 3 years without any paperwork!

Good Idea. This visa though is obviously for people who travel here on business, as proof of the company you work for and proof of business partners you visit in Thailand are needed. This includeds all necessary company docs etc from England ( or where ever) and Thailand.

The thing I find funny is the visas will cost about 10,000 baht and is down to the discretion of the officer dealing with it. ( best bit though is the visas is non refundable ) :D

Probably in rociprication for UK charging non-refundale fees when applying for visas to enter UK. Plus they made it even harder by stopping the English Husband of a Thai applicant from even entering the embassy from August 2005 to help with the application. Then to compound it you now have to use VFS visa agency in Bangkok to apply for a visa having to pay a fee to them and the process now cannot be completed in less than 3 days. So much for UK embassy boasting that they have introduced new measures to speed up application process.

So not only Thai authorities majuing it hard for visa applicants eh :o

Morning all!

And your point is...? :D

A Tourist Visa with 30 day extension would give them 90 days.

Well, I suppose technically 365 days a year is "upwards" of 2 months :o, so better the folks don't get caught up with any problems by getting tourist visas, by getting a one year non-immigrant visa.

:D

BUT....

Perhaps a better route for all those advocating non-immigrant visas for this situation would be for the parents to apply for PR... then their visa concerns would surely be settled.

:D