WiFi

White Christmas13

So it's time again for my usual trip to LOS and this time I like to take

my laptop I am living in OZ at the present bull still have my (our)

house in Thailand now since we don't have a landline connection

anymore (no point if we live over here) so what do I have to do

to get connected well over here in Oz it's simple get a WiFi USB

stick and off you go. But I am not sure if i can do this in Thailand

in the area we are going to stay

We going to stay near Ratchaburi about 10 km out of town center.

So any problems getting WiFi and also what would be the cost

for about 2 weeks ? Also what server would be the best.

Thanks for any helpful answer

Hi

I've used a USB stick to connect to the internet in Thailand before..

I think it is a 3G USB stick you are after.

There is a reddit thread here - little but out of date but essentially the same

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/2duzas/ais_3g_internet_dongle/

Not sure of current deals, but I did this about 3 years ago while living in an 8th floor condo and it worked really well.

You need to show ID to get phone/internet SIM now.

Thanks for your info but I do not know where you lived

before but I will live about 110ks west of Bangkok

Hi

I cannot speak for 110km west of BKK, but as I understand most of Thailand has good coverage..

Maybe post in the nearest local forum page so somebody that lives that was can advise?

or try this

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/coverage-checker.aspx

Do you already own a MiFi, USB modem or Smartphone? Which models?

No one knows how much data that you would need, so you can just as well ask "how long is a piece of string?"

Since you know you can get these things in Oz, you should also have an idea of how much data you use in two weeks.

If you have one of the above, you may be able to use it in conjunction with a Thai SIM. If a relatively heavy user you can get 12GB of data for 854 baht.

If you need less, you can pay less....

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

As several posters have alluded to, you probably don't want to rely strictly on a on-existent 'WiFi' connection, but want a 3G or 3G/4G Mobile Data connection.

'WiFi' is essentially a short-distance, roll-your-own, wireless local network connection, as so it is only available if YOU, a neighbor, or a WiFi Hotspot Provider furnish it.

And while it's possible to connect to a WiFi Hotspot Provider using an external WiFi USB adapter with external antenna, for 99 baht/mo for unlimited usage, there are a dozen reasons/instances why you won't like what you're getting.

So, as has been mentioned, what you are looking for is a 3G/4G/LTE Data Internet connection, where you have some device connect to 3G/4G mobile provider with a SIM and a DATA Subscription, and you connect to that device for your Internet.

The 'device' could be

any SmartPhone running 'WiFi Tether' to allow many WiFi devices to connect and share the smartphone's Data Internet Connection

a 3G/4G MiFi Personal WiFi device (internal rechargeable battery) that independently logs into your 3G/4G SIM account and shares its Data Internet Connection via WiFi

a 3G or 3G/4G 'AirCard'/USB Stick Modem that connect directly into your Laptop to give it Data Internet Connection (generally not shared unless a special device feature).

1648_55b3b5a2893764c5b95920dcb7839347.pn3126_54afdc814463a2c119ec5ffbd397b1a8.pn1478_c07c878feda8435caa1ef636b69693a5.pn1414_ed540d27b1dcf67fd0315b867cc8b82b.pn

With any 3G or 3G/4G/LTE sevice, you must also have an ISP SIM and a Data Subscription Plan.

Thailand doesn't really have any high-speed unlimited Internet plans, you pay for a specific capped amount of data per month. Only some plans allow you to immediately purchase additional GBs of data if you exhaust them prior to subscription renewal.

You'll need to ask what plans allow you to renew mid-month if you exhaust your subscription cap, otherwise you need to change to a different plan. (Yes, it can be strangely complicated).

As several posters have alluded to, you probably don't want to rely strictly on a on-existent 'WiFi' connection, but want a 3G or 3G/4G Mobile Data connection.

'WiFi' is essentially a short-distance, roll-your-own, wireless local network connection, as so it is only available if YOU, a neighbor, or a WiFi Hotspot Provider furnish it.

And while it's possible to connect to a WiFi Hotspot Provider using an external WiFi USB adapter with external antenna, for 99 baht/mo for unlimited usage, there are a dozen reasons/instances why you won't like what you're getting.

So, as has been mentioned, what you are looking for is a 3G/4G/LTE Data Internet connection, where you have some device connect to 3G/4G mobile provider with a SIM and a DATA Subscription, and you connect to that device for your Internet.

The 'device' could be

any SmartPhone running 'WiFi Tether' to allow many WiFi devices to connect and share the smartphone's Data Internet Connection

a 3G/4G MiFi Personal WiFi device (internal rechargeable battery) that independently logs into your 3G/4G SIM account and shares its Data Internet Connection via WiFi

a 3G or 3G/4G 'AirCard'/USB Stick Modem that connect directly into your Laptop to give it Data Internet Connection (generally not shared unless a special device feature).

1648_55b3b5a2893764c5b95920dcb7839347.pn3126_54afdc814463a2c119ec5ffbd397b1a8.pn1478_c07c878feda8435caa1ef636b69693a5.pn1414_ed540d27b1dcf67fd0315b867cc8b82b.pn

With any 3G or 3G/4G/LTE sevice, you must also have an ISP SIM and a Data Subscription Plan.

Thailand doesn't really have any high-speed unlimited Internet plans, you pay for a specific capped amount of data per month. Only some plans allow you to immediately purchase additional GBs of data if you exhaust them prior to subscription renewal.

You'll need to ask what plans allow you to renew mid-month if you exhaust your subscription cap, otherwise you need to change to a different plan. (Yes, it can be strangely complicated).

Thanks this really helped me I let you know how I get on

when I get back