What will happen to mankind in the future?

i claudius

Right now we have had our merry xmas ,time to think of the future , what with the mass exodus of refugees , economic migrants etc , what will the future hold , as water and food become more scarce ,the worlds population set to expand by 5 billion more by 2050 what is in store for us , well not a lot of us as we will be long gone , but mankind as a whole , i personally think , that really really bad times are ahead , whats your thoughts ?

sorry not much fun and entertainment

Aliens will land in the next 20 years and will either:-

Be benign and help us with technology to free ourselves of the fossil-fuel issues.
OR
Blast us into the next world as being a blight on the universe as a whole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke

Be benign and help us with technology to free ourselves of the fossil-fuel issues.

OR

Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ― Arthur C. Clarke

Are aliens allowed to sign up on Thaivisa?

OR

Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ― Arthur C. Clarke

Thaivisa is race, religion, nationality, dimension and planet of origin neutral.

Any person, being, phenomenon or thing may join provided they have a valid email address :)

OR

Thaivisa is race, religion, nationality, dimension and planet of origin neutral.

Any person, being, phenomenon or thing may join provided they have a valid email address :)

That's cool...and we have already quite a few phenomenons here...

Dare not even think about it. Seldom watch world news too- too much killings, natural disasters, etc. Makes me sad that this world has become so ugly.

For me: take one step at a time. Don't think too much about the future.

OR

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke

Not disputing that aliens exist, but don't really see them as a problem.

I mean, do you never think it strange that every year it is someone from Earth that wins Miss Universe?

Its true that they could be really fugly, and not that good at promotions, but can't see them being a threat.

tongue.png Happy New Year to one and all, and hope the events that will surely lead to the wipe-out of mankind (by our own hands) doesn't happen in the next few days.................wink.png

I understand that the colonisation of other planets, such as the Moon, as well beneath the ocean as been researched in great depth for several decades.

Thankfully given our nature for auto genocide of the species, or nature occasionally throwing the odd epidemic which wipes out vast swathes of the population, I can't see over population ever being a threat to the planet.

Personally I hope to mutate into a half human/half venomous shark in case of a huge catastrophe. If it's a flood I'll be OK. If it's an Alien invasion, hideous plague or a meteor I can hide in my cave at the bottom of the sea, if its a Zombie apocalypse I can eat them before they eat me.

A Catastrophic natural disaster will address the balance/imbalance of a variety of problems.

Nature has its own way of dealing with problems.

And then there was a sensible response ...

smile.png

The people's Mod.

Captain Sensible - thumbsup.gif

trainplate1_1257853169_crop_550x413.jpg

Mind you, that was the best of the PC images. There was one I like to post but modesty (and my life expectancy here on TVF forbid me from doing so - whistling.gif )

OR

Apparently, we are coffee1.gif

I think that we will integrate new technological parts into our bodies to make it possible to emigrate to and survive on other planets. Probably not many people will have the resources to do this. The human race will probably survive but life on earth will probably be miserable for those left behind. Actually, this has already been imagined in many science fiction novels.

OR

from some of the replies to my posts, I'll say they already have.

Pessimism pessimism fueled by preconceived Ideas

If you are not familiar with and have not watched some of the TED talks of Hans Rosling I promise you watching the following videos will be some of the best 20 minutes you spend, not only will you be entertained, he is a pretty entertaining fellow for a statistician , you will be informed and it will change your outlook to one more optimistic.

I will post the video and below it I will post a link to another video by him and his son

Enjoy!!

[media]

[media]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5xF-UYgdg

If you are interested do a search in YouTube "Hans Rosling"

Edited by sirineou

Well I see that no one seems to care

I think that lots of us care, the problem is our total inability to do anything about it, while 90% of the world's population, for whatever reason & there are lots, Are not going to change their lifestyle, or start revolutions etc.

The planet Earth is going to continue it's slide down the toilet whatever the 10% who realise (10% is being generous) or care do, is going to have no effect whatsoever apart from maybe giving themselves a spurious sense of moral superiority over their fellow human beings...

Hugely sad, but true.....

In the not to distant future i can see the worlds have's ,building walls to stop the have not's from coming to their country's , this is already happening in a small way in Europe , the problem of course is that the have not's countrys have weapons , then trouble will really start . Either that or nature will find a cure for overpopulation ,one we cannot cure .

Just read Dan Browns Inferno... Over population with eventually be our downfall...

We will regress to wild creatures as we struggle to survive with ever dwindling resources.

Hope I'm not around to witness it !

Happy New Year smile.png

It's funny you should say that, as it has been repeatedly proven to be completely wrong.

The world is swimming in resources.

Predictions we would run out of food by year 2000 ..... completely wrong, more food being grown now than ever before, surplus everywhere (that can pay).

Oil was going to run out by 2010 ....... so much oil around now prices have halved.

I suspect the one thing that won't happen (in the foreseeable future) is shortages of resources.

In the not to distant future i can see the worlds have's ,building walls to stop the have not's from coming to their country's , this is already happening in a small way in Europe , the problem of course is that the have not's countrys have weapons , then trouble will really start . Either that or nature will find a cure for overpopulation ,one we cannot cure .

There is no overpopulation problem.

The problem is the poor with no skills expecting the rich to feed and provide for them free of charge.

Plenty of food for everyone, if only they could afford to buy it.

Aggravated by American and UN military forces herding the poor from one country to another.

It's a humanitarian dilemma,

Option 1

Do you feed the poor and useless until they out-breed and overwhelm you?

or

Option 2

do you allow them to starve and die out (or kill them)?

Edited by MaeJoMTB