Malaysian travel agency halts Chiang Mai tours

webfact

Malaysian travel agency halts Chiang Mai tours

410-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Malaysian travel agency which handled the tour group involved in a fatal bus crash in Chiang Mai last week has ceased its holiday packages to the northern Thai province indefinitely, according to New Straits Times.

Chiu Travel Sdn Bhd general manager, Terrance Yung, said the decision was made out of respect for the 13 Malaysians who were killed in last Sunday’s bus crash in the Doi Saket district.

The company may include the destination, which is among the favourite tourist destinations in Thailand, in the future, he said.

Yung admitted that the company came under heavy criticism from the public when inaccurate information went viral on social media.

He said while investigations on the incident are still going on, there is much of hearsay and speculations.

The company will consider taking legal action against the Thailand-based tour bus operator if investigations concluded the incident was due to poor bus maintenance. Thai authorities have since revoked the driving licence of the 58-year-old bus driver who survived the crash, and the licence of the travel agency which provided the bus.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/malaysian-travel-agency-halts-chiang-mai-tours

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-28

I don't think it's a racist policy if they stop using this attraction in their travel. We all know that a lot of bus companies and operators in Thailand are not up to standard and maybe this will put pressure on these company to tighten their safety standards

These foreign travel agencies need to demand safety and driver improvements for their transport needs or be prepared to boycott selling Thai tours if the transport can't be provided safely. They can also demand that the transit operators with whom they contract purchase high limits insurance coverage. The insurers might then step in and demand the improvements to lower their financial risk.

Demand this and demand that...but not a soul on the ground to ensure this and that...

How effective would demands be?

Ya.. It always baffles me when people get on here and chime in on what Thailand should do. Thais know what needs to be done, they also know it's helpless.

if investigations concluded the incident was due to poor bus maintenance.

I heard the incident was due to reckless driving of the driver, causing an accident and run (too fast)

According to news reports, several passengers who survived said the brakes of the bus stopped functioning. Upon noticing this, one passenger reportedly helped pull the handbrake, while another dealt with the steering wheel. Whether or not the bus was already traveling too fast before the malfunction was not reported though.

I heard the incident was due to reckless driving of the driver, causing an accident and run (too fast)

In either instance, the Thai bus company should be held liable.

The Malaysian tour company must act as the inevitable litigation from a (slightly) more developed nation has a trickle down effect and they must cover their own asses to ensure survival.

I don't think it's a racist policy if they stop using this attraction in their travel. We all know that a lot of bus companies and operators in Thailand are not up to standard and maybe this will put pressure on these company to tighten their safety standards

Companies which put driver training and safety first are available, they are just more expensive. Montri buses is a good example.

Don't the Malaysians also have to look at home first of their own safety records. Not condoning any of these mindless killings on the road, but opportunistic speculators will not help in reducing them.

Example of some major accidents in Malaysia. There are many more but with less deaths.

The 20 December 2010 tour bus crash where twenty-seven passengers of the double-decked coach bus, mostly Thai tourist were killed in the accident near Cameron Highland.

And again on 21 Aug 2013, 37 people confirmed dead when a bus plunged into a deep ravine as it made its way down from the Genting Highlands resort in Pahang.

If TAT ever considered doing something useful improve tourism here (other than periodic absurd numbers increase game), they might try pressuring tour companies into providing quality safe service. Perhaps like grading of restaurants: A, B, C level. I know that is an invitation to tea money bonanza for inspectors..... to dream the impossible dream

In either instance, the Thai bus company should be held liable.

The Malaysian tour company must act as the inevitable litigation from a (slightly) more developed nation has a trickle down effect and they must cover their own asses to ensure survival.

Such a case will take 10 years and the court will give the families B 10 000 each.

Demand this and demand that...but not a soul on the ground to ensure this and that...

How effective would demands be?

Ya.. It always baffles me when people get on here and chime in on what Thailand should do. Thais know what needs to be done, they also know it's helpless.

"The Thais know it's helpless" ???? Baloney!!! Never saw a cop stop anyone for anything in 9 years, on Samui, unless it was at a traffic stop. Took my life in my hands on too many minivan Visa runs. If a driver gets in an accident, they run away and we never hear about the event again. Give it ten more years of poor drivers and maybe someone will change the way things are done.

Crunch the words anyway you like, but where the money crunches will set the standard. The operator cancelled tours. BFD. If the Malaysian government stepped in...it would impede Malaysian and Thai money. So the operator takes the ostrich approach and buries their head in the sand.

To both governments, that is all that is required,

Tuanku, you are right. There are more expensive and reliable companies out there and it's good that you point that out. I think this tread was about racist discrimination from Malaysia's agents that cancels trips after the accident, and I don't believe it's racism and I also believe that it can wake up the bus industry if more travel agencies do this. We need all companies up to the standard of the company you mention.

Initial reports of this accident had the bus driver trying to evade a truck chasing him. The reports said the bus hit the truck earlier and fled. Those reports seem to have been "edited" now. Now when I read so many posts about Thai vehicle safety and driver training it's frustrating because even a safe vehicle driven by a qualified driver is a death trap in the hands of a criminal moron.

Buses around the world get periodic safety inspections to insure passenger safety. Thailand want to grow in the world eyes. But many many flaws to fix before this can happen. Instead of emission inspection on all cars and truck they raise the price off all cars that are not hybrid. If they had emission inspections in Thailand over half the cars and trucks would fail. The leaders are great talkers but do not want to anger the people who are causing the real problems. Do you think that helps your climate pack with other nations! Not at all!

I've heard how these Malaysian Tour operators try to maximize profits without consideration. Example: Everyone on the bus will get a one hour massage and pay 1200 thb. The girl doing all the work gets 100 THB, and possibly a tip, but unlikely. Get the contracts with your connections, then sub everything out to the lowest bidder. If something goes wrong; put the spotlight and blame on them, but never man up and take responsibility. The teacher agencies operate the same way. RIP to the victims. I like living in the City, and as a former bus driver, have been happy with GreenBus, who seems to show integrity. I did a mini-van tour of the Golden Triangle 12 years ago....only stopping at ripoff places paying kickbacks was the rule of the day, by the time 10 pm rolled around, and we were at some Hilltribe place, where the wanted money for pictures, I would have just as soon torched their <deleted>' village.