Thai food and diarrhea

phycokiller

Ive been eating Thai street food for about ten years and my output has been noticeably liquid, which i put down to my alcohol intake. however a month ago i got bored with the sugar and msg in everything and started cooking my own food, straight away my output consistency was normal again. I dont think the diarrhea way caused by any kind of bacteria etc (there was no pain or noticeable side effects) but by some ingredient they add to Thai food, Im wondering what it is? mostly i was eating simple stuff, like chicken and rice.

Could be the street food just has a higher bacteria content because it's left at ambient temperature for long periods rather than stored in a fridge at +4c when cooked at home.

Some people just seem to have a natural immunity to it.

Could be the street food just has a higher bacteria content because it's left at ambient temperature for long periods rather than stored in a fridge at +4c when cooked at home.

There is a 4 hour rule (western standards), where it becomes unsafe to eat food that has been stored in high heat and humidity. The vegetables are ok, but the coconut milk and meat are not.

Fresh BBq would be ok (on a stick), but some other foods, even if cooked thoroughly, may have been mixed with the previous days leftovers (rice/noodle soup and curries),

Dishes, forks and spoons are all soaked in cold water (several customers have used these). A soiled rag is used to wipe them. They are seldom rinsed well enough to wash the greasy stuff off.

Perhaps your system cannot handle the spicy nature of Thai food ? I eat street food every day and have never experienced diarrhea except the one time I went to KFC for a change.

most of what i was eating was not spicy, altho I guess it had a little, suppose that could be it

There is a 4 hour rule (western standards), where it becomes unsafe to eat food that has been stored in high heat and humidity. The vegetables are ok, but the coconut milk and meat are not.

Fresh BBq would be ok (on a stick), but some other foods, even if cooked thoroughly, may have been mixed with the previous days leftovers (rice/noodle soup and curries),

Dishes, forks and spoons are all soaked in cold water (several customers have used these). A soiled rag is used to wipe them. They are seldom rinsed well enough to wash the greasy stuff off.

here's your answer,so always have the CAR-BON ready.

The only problem with this theory is assuming the human digestive system is that frail. We evolved over millions of years under less than sanitary conditions. Our bodies are designed to adapt. It is only if you are unhealthy or so dependent on artificial food that you may have issues with food prepared as it is in Thailand on the street.

Any healthy body can adjust to food and water in any locale as long as there are not virulent pathogens (cholera, hepatitis, etc) present. The normal everyday airborne, waterborne bacteria will be handled and your system will adjust to them in a matter of weeks...as someone who has gone through this process a dozen times around the world I know it to be true. If you cannot adjust....clean up your diet...stop eating at fast food joints...stop eating frozen TV dinners and stop eating super processed snacks like the ones filling the shelves at 7-11.

Fresh fruit every day...a bit of lean protein and some carbs and you will be back in the saddle in no time.

Cooking for yourself was probably the smartest thing to do.

Thai street food may not kill you on the spot but just about all its components are suspect...for long term consumption.

The cheapest ingredients...who knows what body parts go into the minced chicken/pork/beef?

Hygiene issues of hawkers. Clean,iness of water used in cooking.