Help and advice on Thai islands please.

Scouse123

Hi,

I have two friends coming over early May, one has been many times but the other is a first timer. Both guys are healthy and active and in their sixties. Both are business guys but very laid back.

One has suggested he would like to visit the islands. I have been here over 20 years and visited Phuket last year, first time in many years and wasn't impressed at all. I have been to Samui and loved it but it was many years ago.

May will be low season, I am thinking about Koh Samui and maybe Koh Chang. These guys are drinkers but not bar flies and like looking at interesting places. I though Samui would. good for a few days for the first timer, just to let him see what many talk about regards bars and beaches.

I then fancy showing them the nicer places to visit, island wise, that is please.

Anybody with first hand experience, I would love to hear from you. My friends are mid range travellers, not five star but not backpacking.

I've not been to many islands.. I didn't rate Phuket. But I have stayed on Koh Lanta.

It's a nice place. It's a long island with a jungle covered mountain down the middle. The west side has all the life. Lots of nice long beaches with resorts, bars and restaurants on them.

It's a very relaxed atmosphere. With lot's of bars and restaurants. I will say tho there seems to be more places than customers.

Accommodation is as cheap or expensive as you want. From bamboo huts to villa resorts.

You can get an ok brick bungalow for 600 baht/night which is not much more than a bed in a hostel.

There's not many cars, so it's a great place to explore on motorbikes. You can also do the usual island boat trips.

There's a lot of families and back packers here.

Worth a visit

Google Koh Lanta Pocket guide

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Samui is a good choice. Lots to do, nice beaches. But be careful with the selection of beach. It's not easy getting around the island. The main action is Chewang. Not everybody's cup of tea, but that's where the action is and it's a very nice beach also. Very different from one end to the other. The North end is shallow and has a reef blocking the waves. The South end has nice waves and may be better for swimming. Love walking up and down the beach.

Chang is a nice island also. Not nearly as much to do. Some beaches are very quiet. White sands is pretty nice and where the most action is. I prefer the end towards the ferry. With KC Grande being pretty good, especially if you splash out for the bungalow's right on the beach. Fantastic.

Here some good info to review:

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

Agree with Craig3355 ^ Maenam area of Samui, perhaps might be best, Ban Tai or Ban Por beach have nice beaches too but maybe too quiet in the evenings ...

By May things will have slowed down and won't be as busy as now to March!

We just had a bit of a topic of what to see and do on Samui.... might be worth a read through~!!!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/881295-samui-must-see-do/

Another very nice area which is always nice would be far northwest corner of Koh Phangan, Mae Haad beach...usually a good mix of people there... (not the Full Moon party types!) Island View Cabana is a well run resort and reasonably priced.

Edited by samuijimmy

Guys,

Thank you all for your help and info. It seems, as they are only here for 14 days in Thailand, a choice between Koh Samui and possibly visit a couple of islands near Samui or Koh Chang with a possibility of nipping down to Siem Reap.

I am leaning towards Samui as it has everything such as beaches, nightlife, alternative islands and quiet areas. One of these guys likes the beach but is a non swimmer so snorkelling etc would be out of the equation. I just hope there is enough of Thailand to see on Samui. If I was going alone, I would favour Koh Chang.

Samui scores again as it has an airport as well.

Lived on Samui a decade. Still comfortable and with variety. Also direct flights to Siem Reap. Also consider Lamai Beach, less nightlife than Chaweng but far more than Maenam. Also Bophut and Bangrak beach is quieter but not still.

You're a star! I never knew it had flights to Siem Reap, wow! good stuff, game over, Samui it is.

Whoa sorry, I just looked buddy, the flights are not direct and in May they are 17,000 baht plus! I suppose we can do the Air Asia route with fly n ferry then Air Asia back to Bangkok and on to Siem Reap.

Edited by Scouse123

Lived on Samui a decade. Still comfortable and with variety. Also direct flights to Siem Reap. Also consider Lamai Beach, less nightlife than Chaweng but far more than Maenam. Also Bophut and Bangrak beach is quieter but not still.

You're a star! I never knew it had flights to Siem Reap, wow! good stuff, game over, Samui it is.

Whoa sorry, I just looked buddy, the flights are not direct and in May they are 17,000 baht plus! I suppose we can do the Air Asia route with fly n ferry then Air Asia back to Bangkok and on to Siem Reap.

Looks like they dropped the old direct flights. I do remember they had them once.

Guess it wasn't profitable, and high season is gouge the punters with your monopoly month.