Samui must see / do

You again!tongue.png

Well since you were so pleasant in the other thread, thumbsup.gif let's try and give this a go...

The number of days you have is going to go fast .... so many places to see so little time!!!! .... Really it is going to come down to what the weather is doing... take a bit of time to sit back and relax at least one day....

Starting with the Marine park, definitely a "must see" if the weather is nice and seas calm... some images here...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/page-23

Work your way down the page to post 558 ! But many other places around the island, posted if you care to look! Some though may not be suitable at this time of year!

Some of the island tours are OK, but if you live in Thailand, it might be a bit of "Same Same but different" (Temples etc) Most tours will stop at all the most visited places on Samui ... Usually most resorts, will have brochures to look through... and choose from there. It will depend too on how much you want to spend... and what type of things "turn your crank!"

Waterfalls should be good now, with all the rain lately!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/page-24

post 577 Namuang 2 waterfalls.... it's a bit of a hike up there, as you enter take the left path, as it's free.... !

Several Zip lines, around the one at the Secret Waterfalls, up soi 5 Maenam is one of my favorites... even just to get up to look at the waterfall.... the guys at the hut are very pleasant, and sell you a beer or pop,. They do have a truck service up there, (Canopy Adventure Tours), .... it's a rough bike ride up and another hike....facepalm.gif

What else? , well tons more than you can do it four days!!!!..... Enough for now, others may have ideas too....?

Oh!!!!! the roads on 31st, will be a nightmare of heavy traffic, today was amazingly busy on the roads..and it was actually sunny, despite the forecast calling for rain! .wink.png

Samui's tripadvisor!!! wai2.gif

You again!tongue.png

Well since you were so pleasant in the other thread, thumbsup.gif let's try and give this a go...

The number of days you have is going to go fast .... so many places to see so little time!!!! .... Really it is going to come down to what the weather is doing... take a bit of time to sit back and relax at least one day....

Starting with the Marine park, definitely a "must see" if the weather is nice and seas calm... some images here...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/page-23

Work your way down the page to post 558 ! But many other places around the island, posted if you care to look! Some though may not be suitable at this time of year!

Some of the island tours are OK, but if you live in Thailand, it might be a bit of "Same Same but different" (Temples etc) Most tours will stop at all the most visited places on Samui ... Usually most resorts, will have brochures to look through... and choose from there. It will depend too on how much you want to spend... and what type of things "turn your crank!"

Waterfalls should be good now, with all the rain lately!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/page-24

post 577 Namuang 2 waterfalls.... it's a bit of a hike up there, as you enter take the left path, as it's free.... !

Several Zip lines, around the one at the Secret Waterfalls, up soi 5 Maenam is one of my favorites... even just to get up to look at the waterfall.... the guys at the hut are very pleasant, and sell you a beer or pop,. They do have a truck service up there, (Canopy Adventure Tours), .... it's a rough bike ride up and another hike....facepalm.gif

What else? , well tons more than you can do it four days!!!!..... Enough for now, others may have ideas too....?

Oh!!!!! the roads on 31st, will be a nightmare of heavy traffic, today was amazingly busy on the roads..and it was actually sunny, despite the forecast calling for rain! .wink.png

Samui's tripadvisor!!! wai2.gif

Thanks for links and advice, much appreciate, Nothing better then hearing it from locals.

I took some notes.

Cheers :)

any tour company recomendation for Angthong National Marine Park ?

or just pick one from street ? smile.png

saw ur pics, very nice

thx

I think the two most popular companies are Grandsea Adventure tours, or Lomlahk (with is subsidiary of Lomprayah), just look up the websites...

Did I not post the links in your ATV postings?

I am a bit tired to look them up right now....closedeyes.gif

.. but the cost should be the same if you get your resort to make the reservations, then you will be picked up and dropped off at the beginning and end of the trip... it all works quite well... . and in the event of rough seas or bad weather and they cannot travel, they will refund your money... thumbsup.gif .... Lunch and pop also included, but there is a Park admission, which is extra... wink.png

Apart from the marine park one very unique thing to Samui - and the World, for that matter - is the so-called "Mumified Monk" in Wat Khunaram near Muslim Village (Hua Thanon).
You can do your own island tour - rent at vehicle, preferably car/jeep - and visit only places of your interest, if you don't want to see same-same. Wat Plai Lem has a big Buddai figur and the 18-armed goddess, Guan Yin. South of Lamai is the Grandfather & Grandmother rocks, Hin Ta Hin Yai, that for Thais is a unique Samui "must see". Waterfalls are always nice after raining season, as Jimmy said, another possibility is the Hin Lad waterfall in Nathon, an about 2½ kilometer jungle path leads up to the big fall; at the car-park entrance is also a beautiful temple. Furthermore one of the small Hainan-Chinese temples may be worth a visit, there's a nice one in Nathon.

Apart from the marine park one very unique thing to Samui - and the World, for that matter - is the so-called "Mumified Monk" in Wat Khunaram near Muslim Village (Hua Thanon).

You can do your own island tour - rent at vehicle, preferably car/jeep - and visit only places of your interest, if you don't want to see same-same. Wat Plai Lem has a big Buddai figur and the 18-armed goddess, Guan Yin. South of Lamai is the Grandfather & Grandmother rocks, Hin Ta Hin Yai, that for Thais is a unique Samui "must see". Waterfalls are always nice after raining season, as Jimmy said, another possibility is the Hin Lad waterfall in Nathon, an about 2½ kilometer jungle path leads up to the big fall; at the car-park entrance is also a beautiful temple. Furthermore one of the small Hainan-Chinese temples may be worth a visit, there's a nice one in Nathon.

Yes the list is endless, even living here over 7 years, I am sure there are still some interesting areas or things I have not seen yet!

The Mummified Monk, is quite close to the Na Muang 2 waterfall I mentioned ^ ... it would usually be on many of the organised island tours!

At the Hin Lad waterfalls Khunper mentioned, it's quite a nice walk up to the top, You walk past the temple buildings and head up to the left side... some times of the year one can walk up the stream coming down, but now too much water I suspect!

We've now had three reasonably nice days of weather...Sunny with cloudy periods, so that helps the tourists~ .... thumbsup.gif

Beef Slapper, please let us know your experiences when you get home! It helps getting feedback, from others... of course everyone different about what they like and dislike or find interesting or not.... ! wink.png

any tour company recomendation for Angthong National Marine Park ?

or just pick one from street ? smile.png

saw ur pics, very nice

thx

I think the two most popular companies are Grandsea Adventure tours, or Lomlahk (with is subsidiary of Lomprayah), just look up the websites...

Did I not post the links in your ATV postings?

I am a bit tired to look them up right now....closedeyes.gif

.. but the cost should be the same if you get your resort to make the reservations, then you will be picked up and dropped off at the beginning and end of the trip... it all works quite well... . and in the event of rough seas or bad weather and they cannot travel, they will refund your money... thumbsup.gif .... Lunch and pop also included, but there is a Park admission, which is extra... wink.png

Thanks a lot.

Lomlahk charge 1600

Grand sea 2600

From thier websites.

And thanks for all tips.

All noted.

Will let u know how it went aand post some pics.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Yes the list is endless, even living here over 7 years, I am sure there are still some interesting areas or things I have not seen yet!

The Mummified Monk, is quite close to the Na Muang 2 waterfall I mentioned ^ ... it would usually be on many of the organised island tours!

At the Hin Lad waterfalls Khunper mentioned, it's quite a nice walk up to the top, You walk past the temple buildings and head up to the left side... some times of the year one can walk up the stream coming down, but now too much water I suspect!

We've now had three reasonably nice days of weather...Sunny with cloudy periods, so that helps the tourists~ .... thumbsup.gif

Beef Slapper, please let us know your experiences when you get home! It helps getting feedback, from others... of course everyone different about what they like and dislike or find interesting or not.... ! wink.png

»You walk past the temple buildings and head up to the left side...«

Thanks, that's new to me, I've always used the path at the right side, and that's also the jungle-trek I see signs for and the tourists using. Must try the temple-side next time... thumbsup.gif

There are actually two mummified monks on Samui....

So do tell PS....... where is the other one ..... ? tongue.png

Wat kiri wongkaram, Taling ngam

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Wat+Khiri+Wongkaram,+Koh+Samui,+Ko+Samui+District,+Surat+Thani+84140/@9.4568684,99.9339636,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x3054f5af7ad7b501:0x9d20e6a321e1323

http://www.kohsamuipoint.com/attractions/wat-kiri-wongkaram/

wat-kiri-wongkaram.jpg

Thanks PoorSucker. Remember once reading about this one, but a bit confused mixed with the other, and famous one. Must be my next touring-target... thumbsup.gif

There are actually two mummified monks on Samui....

So do tell PS....... where is the other one ..... ? tongue.png

Wat kiri wongkaram, Taling ngam

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Wat+Khiri+Wongkaram,+Koh+Samui,+Ko+Samui+District,+Surat+Thani+84140/@9.4568684,99.9339636,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x3054f5af7ad7b501:0x9d20e6a321e1323

http://www.kohsamuipoint.com/attractions/wat-kiri-wongkaram/

wat-kiri-wongkaram.jpg

Thanks PoorSucker. Remember once reading about this one, but a bit confused mixed with the other, and famous one. Must be my next touring-target... thumbsup.gif

Oh My Buddha!!!......

just sitting around discussing with Thai's how many Mummified monks there are on Samui, there is another one at Lam Sor, which is the Temple on the beach ...Near Taling Gnam as well ..... to the south if the main temple.... about a 100 metres in large glass show area....

How many does one want to see! ?? .....whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Been there done it.

Quick update.

Went 31dec to 4 jan

Arrived 8pm so was waiting countdown on cheweng, not as big as in pattaya 4 example but orite.

Next day, didnt get any bikes as was with mate and gf and they dont do dirt bikes, so opted for 4x4 so we could go all.

Went for 4x4 Suzuki Carribeian

I tell u what first at all it was worn out, car was stalling all the time.

2ndly car is so underpowered that it had problems going up small hill on asphalt rds. Forget off road. U had to go on 2nd or 1st gear.

1.3L engine.

It had no chance going up that mountian.

Managed to see 2waterfalls and mumified monk.

Gave back that car after 3h

Should take pajero.

Same day 5pm took last boat to Koh Tao, long trip and see was not calm made me sick I was close to throwing up 55.

Stayed night on nice hill bungallow for 3k

Next morning went to Koh Nangyuan, very nice place,and after that back to Samui, bought some pills in 7 for sea sicknes did the trick.

Hang out in samui and next day went to Ang Thong, trip.

Short hol but managed to see few things.

Dissapointed a bit with cheweng qs it all buikd up with hotels and u cant see wea from street...

Thx again 4 all help.

Btw.

Do they do condos in samui?

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

»Do they do condos in samui?«

Yes, quite a number of projects - some advertise in the various real estate magazines. I've seen big posters on entrace roads to Chaweng advertising "from 3.9m baht"; I presume prime location will be a (lot) more.

Concerning your remark,
»
Dissapointed a bit with cheweng qs it all buikd up with hotels and u cant see wea from street...«

For many of us staying at Samui the beauty is, that you/we can live on the "beach-side" of a major road - many places in Thailand you have to cross a busy road to get to the beach. Most resorts and hotels at Samui are beachfront - beach-side of the road - appartments/condos are often land-side or up hills with some view, but there are a few beach front also.

smile.png

Yes, quite a number of projects - some advertise in the various real estate magazines. I've seen big posters on entrace roads to Chaweng advertising "from 3.9m baht"; I presume prime location will be a (lot) more.

Concerning your remark,

»Dissapointed a bit with cheweng qs it all buikd up with hotels and u cant see wea from street...«

For many of us staying at Samui the beauty is, that you/we can live on the "beach-side" of a major road - many places in Thailand you have to cross a busy road to get to the beach. Most resorts and hotels at Samui are beachfront - beach-side of the road - appartments/condos are often land-side or up hills with some view, but there are a few beach front also.

smile.png

Thx

When asked locals they said u cant own land I mean no chanot for thais. But may b on the hill.

Do they do condos in samui?

Condominiums do not have to be high rise...

Please do not let Samui Get like Pattaya.

Thanks - if they (the local government) keep their building regulations, that will never happen. The old-time regulation was, that no building shall be higher than the coconut palms, now it's specified i as 12 meters - which is lower than many a coconut palm - and beachfront only 1 floor and (I think) maximum 70 sq. m. and 6 or 10 meter (cannot remember exactly) separation between buildings, except few areas declared as "city zone", for example Fisherman Village.

Concerning your remark,

»Dissapointed a bit with cheweng qs it all buikd up with hotels and u cant see wea from street...«

smile.png

Thx

When asked locals they said u cant own land I mean no chanot for thais. But may b on the hill.

Yes, foreigners cannot own land in Thailand, but a condo if minimum 51% of condo-owners in the project are Thais; just like being shareholder(s) in a limited company. Alternative is a long-term 30-year lease.

Archived