Phones For Skype

younghusband

I have the Linksys CIT200 model which works well, but relies on your computer to be on. Cost on the Linksys is about 4500 baht if purchased in Thailand.

Netgear have just released a new Skype wireless phone which connects directly to your router (no need for computer to be on). Coming in at 9000 baht, the price is a little hefty but the phone works very well. You can even do ROM updates directly on the phone.

Not sure if the Linksys is available at Pantip yet, and the Netgear has not been released in Thailand at all yet.

I have the Linksys CIT200 model which works well, but relies on your computer to be on. Cost on the Linksys is about 4500 baht if purchased in Thailand.

Netgear have just released a new Skype wireless phone which connects directly to your router (no need for computer to be on). Coming in at 9000 baht, the price is a little hefty but the phone works very well. You can even do ROM updates directly on the phone.

Not sure if the Linksys is available at Pantip yet, and the Netgear has not been released in Thailand at all yet.

Netgear - I want!

Where can you buy in BKK?

Beaware though, the Netgear has very poor battery life which is a known design fault. A colleague of mine who has one suggests talk time is typically 2 hours and the unit needs to be charged daily. The other weak point is the central navigation button (the type is prone to failure), and is similar to the switches used on Sony Ericsson phones.

There will be many more wireless skype phones coming on the market shortly. The Netgear is a first generation model, maybe best to wait for further product releases.

I'm using the Linksys CIT200 in HK, the battery life is poor, I've got it charging when not in use.

I'm waiting for the Netgear wifi skype phone price to drop. $280 USD is just too expensive, kinda defeats the purpose of cheap VOIP.

Does anyone know the skype line quality when calling from BKK out to world? I'll be moving to BKK and I've heard/read of internet quality in BKK to be pretty bad.

I find Skype call quality Bangkok to overseas very good. I'm using a $40 Correga handset and use Skypeout as most calls l make are to landlines. Most of the time the call quality is better than if l use a landline. Sometimes there can be a bit of lag but l can't tell you how many times someone l've rung believes l must be back home as the sound is so clear. I often use an internet connection of only 256/128 which is about the lowest you can use for a good connection. Make sure you have as few programs running as possible in the background and don't use the internet for anything else. On a 1Mbps line you can use the internet for other things while you talk but l still wouldn't be trying to burn a dvd while talking.

If you can't find what you want in Bangkok then l can recommend this shop in Singapore located in Sim Lim Square.

Mediapro Technology

If you want to see the full range of products then download the price guide, pages of networking items too. It's not a very big store so lf you see something you like ring first to check stock levels if you are only going to be in Singapore for a visa run. I'm thinking about getting the Linksyss CIT300, 155SD, can use Skype and normal landline on the one wireless phone.

I find Skype call quality Bangkok to overseas very good. I'm using a $40 Correga handset and use Skypeout as most calls l make are to landlines. Most of the time the call quality is better than if l use a landline. Sometimes there can be a bit of lag but l can't tell you how many times someone l've rung believes l must be back home as the sound is so clear. I often use an internet connection of only 256/128 which is about the lowest you can use for a good connection. Make sure you have as few programs running as possible in the background and don't use the internet for anything else. On a 1Mbps line you can use the internet for other things while you talk but l still wouldn't be trying to burn a dvd while talking.

If you can't find what you want in Bangkok then l can recommend this shop in Singapore located in Sim Lim Square.

Mediapro Technology

If you want to see the full range of products then download the price guide, pages of networking items too. It's not a very big store so lf you see something you like ring first to check stock levels if you are only going to be in Singapore for a visa run. I'm thinking about getting the Linksyss CIT300, 155SD, can use Skype and normal landline on the one wireless phone.

Glad to know that Skype works good in BKK to overseas. Thanks for the info.

Wow - just call me Mr. Low-tech. I went down to Tuk Com in Pattaya and found a web cam / headset combination for 850 baht. They both work very well, so I put out another 100 baht to buy 2-5 meter mini-jack extension cables for the headset. Now I can walk around my condo and talk at the same time (allowing me to be hands-free to open the fridge door and grab another beer). Perhaps I'll check out a cordless handset some day, but I think the best advice is coming from those who suggest waiting until there's lots of competition in the Skype (VoiP) phone marketplace. Then prices will drop while features and reliability improve.

... Perhaps I'll check out a cordless handset some day, but I think the best advice is coming from those who suggest waiting until there's lots of competition in the Skype (VoiP) phone marketplace. Then prices will drop while features and reliability improve.

Yup, best to wait till prices drop. My first skype phone was a USB phone looking device, about $25 USD plugged into my laptop with WiFi. The Linksys CIT200 was nice that it gave freedom to move around, but that was about the maximum I would want to pay for a VOIP device.

I also use a HP Ipaq for a cell phone (GSM/GPRS/Bluetooth/WiFi built in), I installed Skype and that works like a charm.

I'm not living in BKK at the moment so can't give confirmation on whether these phones are available.

Skype phones without PC's:

Netgear SPH101 Available now.

Belkin Wi-Fi Phone Not yet available.

Philips VOIP841 Available end of 2006.

As I mentioned earlier, the Netgear phone has not yet been released in Thailand and is not available here yet. I have not seen the Linksys CIT200 here, however cannot rule out that it may be available from various suppliers. Pantip would be the best place to look.

I would suggest waiting for the next release of the Netgear phone, as the new model which has just come out has very poor battery life. On the other hand, the Linksys has 8-10 hours talk time which is far superior.

There will be plenty more variations of these phones coming out over the next year. Try and hold out for as long as possible, IMHO.

Wow - just call me Mr. Low-tech. I went down to Tuk Com in Pattaya and found a web cam / headset combination for 850 baht. They both work very well, so I put out another 100 baht to buy 2-5 meter mini-jack extension cables for the headset. Now I can walk around my condo and talk at the same time (allowing me to be hands-free to open the fridge door and grab another beer). Perhaps I'll check out a cordless handset some day, but I think the best advice is coming from those who suggest waiting until there's lots of competition in the Skype (VoiP) phone marketplace. Then prices will drop while features and reliability improve.

A mobile phone headset with Bluetooth should be able to communicate with your pc and then Skype. :o

Is there such a thing as a teleconference phone for Skype (the ones you stick in the middle of a meeting table).

We have some permanently outposted staff in India and Vietnam and have been trying to involve them in our regular staff meetings.

Konftel make an audio conferencing unit which has very good quality sound. Not really a phone though, essentially just a speaker unit and a mic. You can connect it to any phone (landline, cell or Skype).

We have one in the office (not Thailand) a Konftel 50, the Konftel 60W includes bluetooth i believe. Good but not sure of their availability in Asia.

Konftel 50

i am using the olympia dual phone, as advertised on the skype web site.

Very good. Allows me to have a connection to the computer for skype and also to the normal external landline, and 4 wireless handsets, so can make/receive calls anywhere in the house.

i am using the olympia dual phone, as advertised on the skype web site.

Very good. Allows me to have a connection to the computer for skype and also to the normal external landline, and 4 wireless handsets, so can make/receive calls anywhere in the house.

I have the same setup and am quite happy with it.

If and when I replace it in the future I shall look for a system that in addition

1. connects to the Internet directly through the wireless router, without the need for any PC to be switched on;

2. works also with other VOIP providers such as VoipDiscount.

I may have to wait a while, though, for such system to come on the market.

---------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

A colleague of mine has the new Netgear WIFI phone you posted the link to. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it suffers from very poor battery life (approx 2 hours) when compared to the Linksys CIT200 model. The Netgear phone is however the most advanced Skype phone available today. I would recommend waiting for their next release to see if they fix the battery problem.

... Perhaps I'll check out a cordless handset some day, but I think the best advice is coming from those who suggest waiting until there's lots of competition in the Skype (VoiP) phone marketplace. Then prices will drop while features and reliability improve.

Yup, best to wait till prices drop. My first skype phone was a USB phone looking device, about $25 USD plugged into my laptop with WiFi. The Linksys CIT200 was nice that it gave freedom to move around, but that was about the maximum I would want to pay for a VOIP device.

I also use a HP Ipaq for a cell phone (GSM/GPRS/Bluetooth/WiFi built in), I installed Skype and that works like a charm.

I'm not living in BKK at the moment so can't give confirmation on whether these phones are available.

Skype phones without PC's:

Netgear SPH101 Available now.

Belkin Wi-Fi Phone Not yet available.

Philips VOIP841 Available end of 2006.

The interesting thing about the Philips VOIP841, is that you don't need a PC or wi-fi.

From PC Magazine:

"Typically, Skype phones work through a computer or a laptop. The new Philips VOIP841 plugs into a standard RJ-11 home phone jack, as well as into an RJ-45 broadband connection jack. It can send and receive Skype calls as well as calls from a regular home phone number.

"So now in order to have Skype, you don't have to have a PC," said Manrique Brenes, director of hardware business development for Skype. But you do have to have a broadband connection."

A couple of other Skype Wi-Fi phones to keep a look out for in future are:

Edge-core WM4201

and

SMC WSKP100

Make and model please! I'd love ot buy one in Bangkok - Pantip I assume!

A mobile phone headset with Bluetooth should be able to communicate with your pc and then Skype. :o

I picked up a stereo bluetooth headset/mic with a extra stereo sender ( just plug into any audio output ) from pantip last week - 2890 baht , works fine with skype , music movies etc - is now paired to my laptop , PDA and mobile phone.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4581

Linksys phone is not supported by Skype, as discovered on their forum.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showforum=58

I had a bad one and wasted a lot of time before just returning the thing. My local compuer geek couldn't figure it out either.

I must be a dummy because I can't see where to click to cancel mt Skype-in/Skype-out.

All I see of the forum is endless problems with payments and complaints of no help from Skype. It's nice to toy with, but Skype looks like they are not to be depended on for business -if there's a problem you're stuck.

I picked up a stereo bluetooth headset/mic with a extra stereo sender ( just plug into any audio output ) from pantip last week - 2890 baht , works fine with skype , music movies etc - is now paired to my laptop , PDA and mobile phone.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4581

Interesting, can you recall which shop you picked these up in, and the packaging name? { Brand, BESxxx?}

Regards

Linksys phone is not supported by Skype, as discovered on their forum.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showforum=58

I had a bad one and wasted a lot of time before just returning the thing. My local compuer geek couldn't figure it out either.

I must be a dummy because I can't see where to click to cancel mt Skype-in/Skype-out.

All I see of the forum is endless problems with payments and complaints of no help from Skype. It's nice to toy with, but Skype looks like they are not to be depended on for business -if there's a problem you're stuck.

From www.linksys.com is this description of the Linksys CIT200 :D

===============================================

Get cordless handset convenience when you use Skype! Now you don't have to sit in front of your computer when you want to talk to your friends. The Linksys Cordless Internet Telephony Kit comes with the Handset and its charger, and a USB Base Station that plugs into your computer. With the included Skype program running on your PC, the Handset can read and display your contact list on its built-in illuminated display. Just choose who you want to talk to from the menu, press a button, and get ready to talk.

Of course, the Handset supports SkypeOut dialing as well as your Skype contact list. It rings when you have a Skype or SkypeIn call coming in, and shows the caller's ID on the screen. The Handset also supports call waiting and Skype's optional Voicemail service. When you're on a call, you can hit the Mute button for privacy, or use the speakerphone function to let everyone join in. You can even use the phone as an intercom -- each Base Station supports up to four Handsets.

In short, the Linksys Cordless Internet Telephony Kit gives you all the functionality of a regular phone, through Skype. You'll get the convenience of a cordless phone and all its features, plus the high-quality voice reception that you get from Skype on your PC, without being tied to your computer.

===============================================

Not sure why you couldn't get Skype to work but it is a Skype phone. If you're trying to cancel your Skype Out credit then you can't, it's use it or lose it. Please PM me your log in name and password and l'll see it doesn't go to waste. :D

You are correct in saying there are a lot of complaints about using Skype on the Skype Forum but when l read some of those complaints many seem to have been written by clueless 14 year olds who never bothered to follow the instructions, something you find on any phone forum. I've seen classic threads there where someone will continually complain while ignoring everything the Skype staff ask them to do. If l can pay by credit card from Thailand then how hard can it really be? :o