Where To Fix A Laptop

~G~

My laptop fan stopped working, which results in overheating and sudden shutdowns (luckily, didn't explode just yet.. :o ). Seems like a simple problem to fix, I wonder if anyone knows a reliable place in Bangkok to fix that. The thing I want to avoid the most is them causing more damage than is already there.. ("Sorry, your HD crashed, we had to replace it as well and we lost all the data, please pay the 10,000 baht bill at the counter...'").

Edit: It is an HP Pavilion, purchased abroad, if that is of any relevance.

Edited by ~G~

Accessing the fan can be quite fiddly at times. I suggest in the first instance, you call HP in Bangkok on 02 353 9000. Their head office is located in the U Chu Liang building on Rama 4 road in Silom. Not sure if this is also the location of their service center but would highly recommend you have your laptop repaired at an official service centre.

Another good shop in Pantip is called "Global Solutions"- they are on the fourth floor, near to the elevators. I bought my laptop there, and have always had good service from them.

You could check them out along with the shop advised by PattayaTony and see which one you like best / offers the best deal to fix your laptop.

Of course, if your laptop is still under warranty, go to HP Compaq in the U Chu Liang building. They will honor your international warranty.

Edited by bino

Another good shop in Pantip is called "Global Solutions"- they are on the fourth floor, near to the elevators. I bought my laptop there, and have always had good service from them.

You could check them out along with the shop advised by PattayaTony and see which one you like best / offers the best deal to fix your laptop.

Of course, if your laptop is still under warranty, go to HP Compaq in the U Chu Liang building. They will honor your international warranty.

My mistake>>> It is Global Solutions>> Sorry about that. :o

Let Compaq/HP service center repair your notebook can be very expensive.

I asked the service center what does it cost to repair my old Compaq notebook, I think it is the 3GB hard disk. I quote "O it is a 3GB hard disk, that cannot be expensive" the end I had to pay 9000 Baht. Still a 3GB hard disk, and the Windows they installed was illegal...I complained, they just smilled. After I got a bit more upset, they give me back my money, and they take back the hard disk.

For the people who are no experts in notebook hard disk prices, for 9000 Baht I can buy one the newest, biggest, fastest notebook hard disk available. Okay a 100GB will maybe not work in my old Pentium 3 notebook, but still I test the setup with a 30GB notebook hard disk of one I get at Panthip. It work perfect, cost only 3000Baht.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Ok. Same thing happened to my IBM R40 once and was forced to fix it on the 4th floor of Pantip Plaza. I think the name of the shop was WinSystems. IBM would only replace the whole motherboard without looking into fixing a specific issue. I don't know if this would be different for HP.