Must give GH adress in Vientiane

Today I went to get a two month visa in Vientiane. There was a big sign up saying that you must state your intended Guesthouse address in Thailand or visa may be refused.

I am actually chartering a yacht in Phuket, so I gave the marina address. This confused the clerical staff no end. She even had to check the meaning of word boat in her phone. She went away to check with supervisor, not good enough, must give address of hotel or guesthouse. After a futile attempt at explaining what a yacht charter means I gave up and totally invented a guesthouse name in Phuket.

All happy.

Tell the truth ... no good .... lie, everyone happy. Ssssheesh!!!!

• Like 2

I have wondered about living afloat and getting round the Visa madness.

Yacht crews get a 30 day visa on arrival. No big deal but this limited time actually affects Thailand as a Yachtie destination. I have read that they were "thinking about" changing this to make Thailand a Super Yacht destination and attract "a wealthier class" of tourist...but so far no moves.

If I owned a blue water vessel and stamped out of Thai immigration and sailed 12 n.m. offshore I am now in international waters.

Could I not stay there for 24 hours and then sail back and stamp in again for another 30 days ad infinitum? Probably not ?

I could also take a "crew" with me that would require going out & coming back. wink wink nod nod know what I mean ?

Any one got any answers on this ? And to the OP...nice one ! Thinking on your feet is a western trait and it worked well for you.

• Like 1

I have wondered about living afloat and getting round the Visa madness.

Yacht crews get a 30 day visa on arrival. No big deal but this limited time actually affects Thailand as a Yachtie destination. I have read that they were "thinking about" changing this to make Thailand a Super Yacht destination and attract "a wealthier class" of tourist...but so far no moves.

If I owned a blue water vessel and stamped out of Thai immigration and sailed 12 n.m. offshore I am now in international waters.

Could I not stay there for 24 hours and then sail back and stamp in again for another 30 days ad infinitum? Probably not ?

I could also take a "crew" with me that would require going out & coming back. wink wink nod nod know what I mean ?

Any one got any answers on this ? And to the OP...nice one ! Thinking on your feet is a western trait and it worked well for you.

There is no "visa madness".

Appropriate visas can be obtained from Thai Embassies/Consulates in most countries.

Why should those arriving by water receive treatment different to those arriving by air or land ?

Arrive without a visa and most are entitled to a "visa exempt entry" whether arriving by land, sea or air ...........

• Like 1

Yachts for charter are available in Phuket at Boat Lagoon, Royal Yacht, and Yacht haven. Sunsail at BL runs a good biz and usually has several boats docked there. Check on Google for more info.

Bringing a yacht into Phuket is fairly simple these days, and must be done at the one-stop location at the foot of the long pier in Chalong Bay. Yachts get a permit for 6 months upon proper registration (need to have a credit card). Common practice is to stay the six months then cruise down to Langkawi (Malaysia) spend several days there and return to Phuket to register for another six months. My main man has been doing that for about five years now (but leaving next month to continue his circumnavigation). Boat crews have to pass immigration same as any other arrival into Thailand, with same rules eg. 30-day visa exempt and any subsequent visa runs etc. There used to be some monkeying around with customs for the boat but that's pretty cleaned up because Thais are now making a big push for yacht "hub" (good laugh).

Good cruising along the Thai coast with many islands but the winds are not really up to Carib or Med standards. No piracy but many fishing boats and fish traps. Good fuel at good prices.

The idea of sailing out 12 miles and returning for another vis-exempt is absurd, but Langkawi is an overnight sail and interesting change with very friendly Immi folks over there and very simple yacht checkin.

Hi Ironbark,

Please, may you confirm me that you have obtained a DETV (Double Entry Tourist Visa) on Dec 2015 from Vientiane Thai Embassy?

In a while I have to go there for getting a VISA and I heard some rumors that they still released SETV and DETV despite the new rules.

Thanks in advance

Hi Ironbark,

Please, may you confirm me that you have obtained a DETV (Double Entry Tourist Visa) on Dec 2015 from Vientiane Thai Embassy?

In a while I have to go there for getting a VISA and I heard some rumors that they still released SETV and DETV despite the new rules.

Thanks in advance

He only got a single entry visa. From OP "Today I went to get a two month visa in Vientiane."

They cannot do a 2 entry tourist visa since they no longer exist.