Renew Marriage or Retirement Visa lately?

junglechef

Next week need to go renew annual visa (whatever terms one wants to use we all know what I'm talking about).

Dors anyone who has in the last few weeks want to share their observations?

Especially interested in where, what time and what was required.

Thanks and Happy New Years!

JC

Think I was pretty clear to anyone who went to immigration recently for what most of us do that is not a rentry, 90 day, tourist or Doctor cert. Even the immigration officials understand these terms. In the spirit of the holiday I'll repeat from my original post "whatever term one wants to use". You can make most of the people happy most of the time ..... It's the holidays lets all sing one of my fav songs "Mai pen rai, be happy :)

It would depend on if you are doing it on a marriage renewal type or just a single person. For marriage you have to go to the airport and for single Promenada.

I do the single. I need a photocopy of all my past extensions plus the passport it's self. Each one of them must be signed. I also need proof of income which I get a paper from the American consulate here in Chiang Mai. I have never been asked for them but I take a copy of my rental contract and the papers with the amount of money I am guaranteed each month. A picture is also required and lately they have been fussy about the size and color background on it. I will next time get one at the overpriced photo shop there as I have gotten to old for the one I have been using and I am sure they will have the color and size correct.

If you are using the money in the bank you need a letter from the bank and your bankbook both must be the same amount of money. Not sure I have heard no older than 3 days and another one said 7 days.

Good luck

Edit

I forgot you need the proper form I do not know the number for it. Also it must be filled out in Blue Ink. Other people may have different experiences but this is what I have always done at the Airport and the new office at the Promenada..

The marriage ones I know nothing.

Edited by northernjohn

Bangmai your an example to all, visa renewal question in CM forum and you respond about visa renewal in CM!

Where did you go? It sound like where ever it was they we're doing both annual renewals and 90 days there.

I did my 90 day last week at Promanada and they weren't doing annual's there that day.

Also what does "Having the TM7 on both sides was a good move" mean?

I guess bangimai might have just answered that.

I'm single AND stay on a supporting visa aka marriage visa.

This is why I said, whatever you call it, as I was interested in finding out peoples experiences and not having a discussion on correctness of terms so to keep away the show off know it alls who don't answer the question and/or the spammers who whatever the correct term is (you know what I'm talking about again) smile.png

Edited by junglechef

Bangmai your an example to all, visa renewal question in CM forum and you respond about visa renewal in CM!

Where did you go? It sound like where ever it was they we're doing both annual renewals and 90 days there.

I did my 90 day last week at Promanada and they weren't doing annual's there that day.

Both sides means print out the TM7 on front and back of a single piece of paper.....put TM7 on thumbdrive and go to copyshop...they can do it. Get a few extra. It was at Promenada....5am could be too late....go at 4, get your number at 8:30...you can leave at 10:15, and return at 3pm to get your passport. But, if you go at 5:30, you might not find out until 9, that you won't get a number. I'm also glad I put 500 thb into my savings account the day before to get the freshest date, because a simple update only put the interest payment from the last day of the month. When a 10 thb deposit would have been better than nothing. Most was in FD, and there were no recent dates, but the letter supports that...from the day before.

Both sides means print out the TM7 on front and back of a single piece of paper.....put TM7 on thumbdrive and go to copyshop...they can do it. Get a few extra. It was at Promenada....5am could be too late....go at 4, get your number at 8:30...you can leave at 10:15, and return at 3pm to get your passport. But, if you go at 5:30, you might not find out until 9, that you won't get a number. I'm also glad I put 500 thb into my savings account the day before to get the freshest date, because a simple update only put the interest payment from the last day of the month. When a 10 thb deposit would have been better than nothing. Most was in FD, and there were no recent dates, but the letter supports that...from the day before.

That's interesting but why is an advantage to have a double sided form esp when they give you a single sided one (if they do)?

Also interesting that on Dec 21th, 3 days before you were there, they told me to go to Airport for annual marriage renewal. I was in the 90 day line but did not see any for annual renewals (did see 90 day, Dr. cert and tourist)

Anyone been to Airport Imm (down the road from Central Airport NOT at the airport) recently?

Wondering if they are doing them at both places, just switching randomly day to day or have switched since I was there last week.

Almost nothing I stated applies to marriage extension....but based on the number of married guys getting retirement extensions at Prom, it appears they scrutinize them more, kind of like the way they view foreign brides in the US...UbonJoe told me to double side, and I was successful on my first ever attempt. Meanwhile, some 30 year residents were on their third try. It's hard to imagine some of the retirees in CNX doing things the hard way.....bwahahaaha. Search the Immigration forum....every office is different, but it can still be very eye opening as to what kind of curveballs they can throw at you.

Think I was pretty clear to anyone who went to immigration recently for what most of us do that is not a rentry, 90 day, tourist or Doctor cert. Even the immigration officials understand these terms. In the spirit of the holiday I'll repeat from my original post "whatever term one wants to use". You can make most of the people happy most of the time ..... It's the holidays lets all sing one of my fav songs "Mai pen rai, be happy smile.png

"whatever term one wants to use".

The terms are not synonymous and there have been many questions posed on Thai Visa where using the wrong term has led to confusion and what appeared to be conflicting responses. Immigrations can deduce what you mean because they don't issue or renew visas, but at times it's not so obvious when posting questions on TV.

It's an extension of stay based on retirement, not a visa. Considering how much effort you made typing out the O/P and the 3 or 4 posts arguing with people who use the correct term, wouldn't it have been simpler to use the right term in the first place?

You're single and married??

Edited by Suradit69

northernjohn what is a single?

Sorry for not being a little clearer. It is when you are not married. As was mentioned it is much easier than getting a marriage one and many married people do use it. From what I have experienced and read on Thai Visa it is a straight forward process. Occasionally some one might get hassled but we never hear both sides of the story.

I have no experience with the marriage one but I have read some pretty strange request from immigration about it. One person had to bring in a picture of him and his wife sitting on the bed. I am sure that is not the normal but I have heard quite a few that got a run around.

I guess bangimai might have just answered that.

This is why I said, whatever you call it, as I was interested in finding out peoples experiences and not having a discussion on correctness of terms so to keep away the show off know it alls who don't answer the question and/or the spammers who whatever the correct term is (you know what I'm talking about again) smile.png

I am a little confused here. I got from junglechef's post that he was filing on a marriage extension in which case he would have to go to the Airport to do it.

Married 400,000 baht in the bank

Single 800,000 baht in the bank.

OR

Single guarantied income of 65,000 baht a month

Married guaranteed income of I believe it is 40,000 baht a month. I could be wrong it might be 45,000 baht a month.

Makes no sense to me my wife doesn't save me 20,000 baht a month. Some times I think she costs me that much.

Let's try again!

A few personal details to help clear up the confusion for those who are truly trying to be helpful, and I thank and appreciate their effort.

I am renewing for the third time what I believe is can correctly called an annual Extension of a Long Stay based on Supporting a Thai (but perhaps there is a different exact official terminology)

I am single, but am very happily living in sin ( rolleyes.gif ) with my Thai GF whom is also the mother of our son. My son, whom I am father of biologically and in the eyes of the law here, is the Thai citizen whom I support and thus use for legal purposes to stay in the Kingdom.

The stamp says "Application of Stay" in my passport and I think one can have this for being over 50 (retirement visa as it's known between my friends) or supporting a Thai wife or other Thai citizen, my child in my case but not sure about other situations (Marriage Visa as it's known between my friends).

As I am not an expert in these matter and hence asking on this forum but I have successfully legally been allowed to stay in Thailand for 11 yrs being a tourist, student, businessman, retiree and father, all on different forms of Immigration paperwork.

So my question, that hopefully will be clear now (to those who want to admit it understanding it) and especially to those who have done this recently is where did you go, what time, what documentation was required and other helpful tidbits of information of your experience could you share with me please.

Again thanks for the help and wishing everyone a Happy New Years!

JC

Edited by junglechef

I went in mid/late november to renew extension to stay based on marriage...

Went like last year... 2 copies of every thing... every page in my passport that has a thai stamp in it, lease for the house we live in, notary statement from US consulate, documentation to prove income (copies of warrants from my pension fund), pictures, map, etc.

One new wrinkle was that we were required to prove our marriage. Never been asked for this. I mean, we always had to provide copy of our marriage certificate (from USA), and a translation of said copy, but this year, for the first time, they said we needed a paper to prove that said marriage was recognized in Thailand... as in registered at the ampuhur, the officer said.

So, off to the amphur to see if we could "register" our marriage.

Upon arrival, the amphur clerk told my wife that since she had changed her last name to my name, she had to have filed appropriate documents already. Back home, my wife dug thru her copious files and remembered that indeed, we filed some documents many years ago and they were stamped and signed in BKK and sent off to the Foreign Ministry and stamped again there and our marriage was then officially recognized here in Thailand.

So other than this speed bump on our highway of success, it went smoothly, just like last year.

I renewed my 1 year extension based on marriage in late november. The only change from last year is that it is more difficult to get a queue number: you have to be there earlier. In my experience you have to be there at 5:30 AM at the latest - and yes, you have to go to the old immigration building near the airport.

Thanks again for making last my point Eclipse, have you done one recently??

Been doing Marriage extensions for 9 years. Next year might be doing retirement as my pension starts.

Marriage: 400,000 in bank or 40,000 monthly income.

Retirement: 800,000 in bank or 65,000 monthly income or a combination of both.

The retirement route is slightly easier.

I don't envy you lot in CM one little bit.

I think I would seriously consider moving.

Married 400,000 baht in the bank

Single 800,000 baht in the bank.

OR

Single guarantied income of 65,000 baht a month

Married guaranteed income of I believe it is 40,000 baht a month. I could be wrong it might be 45,000 baht a month.

Makes no sense to me my wife doesn't save me 20,000 baht a month. Some times I think she costs me that much.

I imagine it's because your wife can work and support herself - sounds right as the money in the bank is 50% (farang) and the other 50% the partner to support herself.

Could be wrong, but it makes sense.

Where? That's mainly what the OP (me!!) is trying to find out

Sorry - this was at Promenada. If you want to go for the retirement extension and have the required 800,000 baht which has been in the bank for 3 months or a letter confirming your income, you will be OK as long as you don't mind an early start. As long as you're there by 6am you will be processed.

The dependant visa is at Airport location and I haven't been there for a long time, but it sounds the same after reading reports from others in the main immigration thread - early start to make sure you get a queue ticket. I have a dependant spouse visa and will have to extend it in the next month or so. I believe this will have to be done at the Airport location, perhaps they will treat me the same way as a woman married to a Thai national (my husband has a retirement extension).

The alternative, if you don't want to have an early morning, is to use an agent. For me, the early start won't bother me, I have a Kindle, music and a tablet so I can keep myself occupied but not everybody wants the hassle. It really isn't any trouble as long as you have your documentation in order, if you're short a photocopy or two they will send you to the copy shop.

As the Thai's say, up to you.

Think I was pretty clear to anyone who went to immigration recently for what most of us do that is not a rentry, 90 day, tourist or Doctor cert. Even the immigration officials understand these terms. In the spirit of the holiday I'll repeat from my original post "whatever term one wants to use". You can make most of the people happy most of the time ..... It's the holidays lets all sing one of my fav songs "Mai pen rai, be happy smile.png

Brave attempt, and I feel your pain but, let's face it, the pedants - no matter how small a minority they are - will always have the loudest (and most persistent) voices.

It reminds me of all the 'anoraks' who kept insisting that 1 January 2000 wasn't the start of the new millenium. They were absolutely correct, of course, but they didn't get invited to a lot of parties!