Jomtien: Economy accomodation on Dongtan or sois 1 – 7 – Your Experience?

henrik2000

Hello, what are your thoughts on economy accommodation (up to 800 Baht/night) on Dongtan beach or in Jomtien sois 1 – 7? I'd need a room from Jan 7 – 13 and would like to make a *reliable* advance booking. Can check-in only around 7.30 p.m., maybe 5 p.m. if I shuffle some activities. Am in Thailand already and would happily pay something in advance, if doable.

I'd like

- a bit of atmosphere

- open window with moscito net (ideally cross ventilation, ahem)

- relative quiet

- friendliness

- guest-friendliness too

- good day light with real big window

I don't need

- breakfast

- super-style

- cooking facilities

- wifi

- sea view, balcony

- crammed, prison-like box

- full hotel facilities (small guesthouse is enough)

- ground-floor accommodation (the higher the better)

I find the location of White House and B.B. Hotel on Dongtan Beach intriguing. I visited their lobbies and saw the room photo albums. They said I could make reliable phone bookings (really?). The White House rooms seemed very barebone. Someone told me that Dongtan beach is dangerous at night because of the gay boys (I don't use their services, but might have a female visitor coming and going also at night, don't want to feel concerned for her safety or safeguard her everytime). When I was on Dongtan beach around 10 p.m. one time, it seemed not dangerous, but there were gay boys (tom?)cat-fighting.

I had had a room in Ibiza Hotel on soi Welcome (near Jomtien soi 11) for around 680 THB which I quite liked, but it's not available now (and anyway too far from where I'd like to be).

Your thoughts and suggestions? Thanks!

I don't think the north end (Dongtan) is dangerous at night at all, most gay boys that you see walking their seem to be on their return from a customer who stays in one of those hotels there. For the rest it's some Thai people chilling at the beach and further down there's often a group playing volleyball, that's almost near the end when you almost reach Pratumnak.

Ladyboys you find more at the other side of the beach, eg between Jomtien soi two and seven I would say, no idea if they are harmful though as I always drive by on motorbike or car but they often yell at me, handsum man and all that.

As for Jomtien soi 2, it's like a ghetto really, especially further down the soi, many druggies, soi 3 is similar btw. No idea about soi 4-7 though.

>>No idea about soi 4-7 though.<<..Soi 7 Jomtien is very respectful .Has a nice semi open air restaurant ,Emily and at least one cheap hotel ,i forget the name of .There is an old Condo block on the soi ,who also do weekly rentals .(Tip i think its called?)