Dinner Cruise

HB2010

I took some friends on the Manohra cruise when they swung by Bangkok earlier this year. I can recommend it. I just popped into the Marriott hotel on sukhumvit road and booked it there.

thanks for your suggestions. the loy nava dinner cruise looks like a winner. thanks again!

I took some friends on the Manohra cruise when they swung by Bangkok earlier this year. I can recommend it. I just popped into the Marriott hotel on sukhumvit road and booked it there.

thanks for your suggestions. the loy nava dinner cruise looks like a winner. thanks again!

I recently went on the Horizon cruise, which is run by the Shangri La hotel.

Around 2.5 hours along the river, excellent food with a variety of western and thai food.

1400 baht per person but I would go again.

Did the Loy Nava twice, and had a great time. Old time boat, and owner on board for most cruises (Irish fellow).

He said the boat was a refurbished rice boat, set up in business by a Texan, and was the first dinner cruise on the river. He was hired as a management consultant, and eventually bought out the Texan.

Great staff, too much great food (and I can eat!). We did the Thai menu both times.

For 2, 1 bottle of wine, 1 juice (not mine, the Thai fiances :o ) and tip, I believe was a little over $100USD. Pricey, but equivalent to others I called, and worth it once or twice every few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep in mind there are two classes of cruises. This thread has been centered around the first.

The 'tourist class' is for us. Beautifully ornate boats, wonderful lighting, traditional thai music, thai dance, set meals very liked by westerners, views pointed out in English. These are usually smaller boats and they are much more expensive. Just about everyone who uses these is not Thai.

The 'thai class' is for native Bangkokians. These are usually huge boats with multiple floors, very basic with not much more than card tables and folding chairs. You order from a Thai seafood menu. Some boats you order in advance others have a kitchen on board. Drinks are cheap. Often there is a mini karaoke / disco area. Some point out landmarks in both Thai and English. Most who use these are Thai, but some foreigners may be aboard too.

If I was going to impress someone with Bangkok I'd use the first. If you want to "go local", then the second. It's a shame because thailandtoday.com has a great link listing a dozen or more of the cruises available but it seems to be gone now.

Hi, anyone take the Chaopraya Princess dinner cruise??? Regards, BD

Yes I took my wife and parents on the princess.Overall a nice time.Decent food, buffet style,nice scenery.Only drawback was we were seated too close to the band/singer/dancefloor, which was on the upperdeck towards the bow. if you can request seating away from the music I would suggest it.

Dinner Crusies are over rated. Been on 2 with my partner. 1 was a noisy band playing and could not talk until boat returned to port but food was ok. The other the food was almost thrown onto the table and overcrowded with long tables but cheap. My tip find a nice restaurant, save 50% and buy extra wine and special things. I like restaurants that are a little different just like me :o

Restaurant here

The 'thai class' is for native Bangkokians. These are usually huge boats with multiple floors, very basic with not much more than card tables and folding chairs. You order from a Thai seafood menu. Some boats you order in advance others have a kitchen on board. Drinks are cheap. Often there is a mini karaoke / disco area. Some point out landmarks in both Thai and English. Most who use these are Thai, but some foreigners may be aboard too.

I prefer this kind - well, actually it is the only kind of river cruise I've done! Good fun though, lots of hollering under bridges, decent food and all very reasonably priced. No entrance fee and the whole thing lasts about 1.5 - 2 hours.

The one I've been on leaves from a hotel called the Riverside Hotel and it's up on the northern stretch of the Chao Phraya, near to Rama XIII bridge. Friendly staff and good food. Went on a cruise from the Riverside last night actually, and the one drawback at the moment is that the boat only does about half the normal distance, presumably because of the water levels being too high and the boat can't fit under some of the bridges. So you miss out on sailing past all the 5-star riverside hotels, but you still get to see Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Arun, etc. lit up t night which is an impressive sight.

A question regarding any of these dinner cruise boats......I have someone coming out to visit me later in the year who is a little unsteady on their feet, needs a walking stick....what is it like boarding these boats? ie, there is not a chance I could get the person on the river taxis.

Thanks in advance :o

A question regarding any of these dinner cruise boats......I have someone coming out to visit me later in the year who is a little unsteady on their feet, needs a walking stick....what is it like boarding these boats? ie, there is not a chance I could get the person on the river taxis.

No problem at all with the one I talked about above, it's a huge and very stable boat with a proper sturdy, seamless ramp leading onto it. The only difficulty could be the steep-ish steps leading up to the top deck where the main seating area is.

No problem at all with the one I talked about above, it's a huge and very stable boat with a proper sturdy, seamless ramp leading onto it. The only difficulty could be the steep-ish steps leading up to the top deck where the main seating area is.

Make sure you get table on an upper deck, river can get a bit smelly. Boat only waves a bit if another boat passes. Depends on boat size I guess.